Galveston Pleasure Pier Updates

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This will make Galveston an even better place to visit in the summer. It can only help out the local economy by bringing in more tourist. Sure there will be more traffic and I have no idea where people are supposed to park. But who cares, it's not like we get a brand new, restored, old fashioned, amusement park built on the historic site of a legendary amusement park every day.

Amusement park piers are all over the country and now Galveston will have one AGAIN. When it comes to this sort of family destination, the Houston area is WAY behind our peer cities (no pun intended) - I love Fertitta for bringing a little color and light-heartedness to SE Texas. It can't all be about refineries and factories. People need a place to go for fun.

I like it. It looks like it will be as good as Santa Monica Pier and that can be a lot of fun. For an amusement park pier this is pretty good. And it certainly beats watching the Flagship hotel fall into the ocean a little at a time over the next several decades (that was plan B). If you were expecting them to build Walt Disney World on that pier then you were setting yourself up for a major disappointment. People are going to love this.

"PLEASURE PIER??"

That sounds wrong. I'll leave it at that.

I believe that's what it was called when it was a similar entertainment-style concept back in the 1940's and 50's, so they just kept the name. It is a little strange though, but who really cares what the name is? They're almost done demolishing the Flagship Hotel, it's only the last floor left now. Hopefully the construction happens quickly.

You must enjoy staring at the nothing that is left in Houston/galveston...Should he have left that seedy hotel there?

I called it exciting, what more do you want?! Of course we shouldn't have left the hotel there. That's why the good people working for Fertitta dumped it into the ocean.

Demolition of the Flagship Hotel was stopped Tuesday after a worker was injured when part of the building collapsed, city officials said.

What triggered the partial collapse at about 3:40 p.m. has not been determined, officials said later Tuesday.

A worker was trapped beneath debris for about 20 minutes. He had extensive injuries, city officials said, and was taken to John Sealy Hospital at the University of Texas Medical Branch.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/7538439.html

A demolition worker who was trapped for 20 minutes beneath a concrete slab that collapsed at the Flagship Hotel died of his injuries, officials said.

The Galveston County Medical Examiner’s Office identified the man as Tauelangi Angilau, 65, of Salt Lake City, Utah, He died Tuesday after becoming trapped by a 1,000 pound section of slab while the historic hotel at 2501 Seawall Blvd. was being demolised.

http://galvestondailynews.com/story/227906

• 5 months later...

The Galveston Historic Pleasure Pier now has a website and facebook page.

http://www.pleasure-pier.com/

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Galveston-Island-Historic-Pleasure-Pier/177272299004361

No new renderings yet, but on the website there is an illustrated silhouette of roller coasters and some other rides. This could be a very cool local attraction if that can be taken as an indication of the kind of rides they are planning to build.

The fourth largest city in the nation can't build an amusement park, Galveston is building one, and I wonder why. Parking? There are several empty areas, that could become parking lots, in close proximity to the seawall. This doesn't count how much street parking from end to end there that is available. I know it is across that looooong Seawall Blvd but there are plenty of stop lights also from end to end.. Walk people (non-handicapped) it really isn't as terrible as you may be inclined to believe. If you feel it is, stay home or go to the mall. This is a fantastic idea and one more reason people are going to drive through our great city only on their way to Galveston.

The fourth largest city in the nation can't build an amusement park, Galveston is building one, and I wonder why. Parking? There are several empty areas, that could become parking lots, in close proximity to the seawall. This doesn't count how much street parking from end to end there that is available. I know it is across that looooong Seawall Blvd but there are plenty of stop lights also from end to end.. Walk people (non-handicapped) it really isn't as terrible as you may be inclined to believe. If you feel it is, stay home or go to the mall. This is a fantastic idea and one more reason people are going to drive through our great city only on their way to Galveston.

Indeed. Houston should feel shame, learn from it, and build its own Pleasure Pier. :wacko:

Very few large cities have major amusement parks within the city limits. Almost all large theme parks are built somewhere on the outskirts of a large city. In Houston we already have 1 amusement park in Kemah. There is a 2nd one under construction in Galveston. And the BIG one being planned in New Caney (EarthQuest) is still moving forward (at a snail's pace) according to the latest statements from the East Montgomery County Improvement District.

If EarthQuest is ever built, the Houston area will finally have a respectable number of venues for pukarama and family entertainment.

Very few large cities have major amusement parks within the city limits. Almost all large theme parks are built somewhere on the outskirts of a large city. In Houston we already have 1 amusement park in Kemah. There is a 2nd one under construction in Galveston. And the BIG one being planned in New Caney (EarthQuest) is still moving forward (at a snail's pace) according to the latest statements from the East Montgomery County Improvement District.

If EarthQuest is ever built, the Houston area will finally have a respectable number of venues for pukarama and family entertainment.

Very few (perhaps like zero) have the zoning laws nor the amount of empty land that Houston has within her core. I really don't consider any of these options 'close' to Houston, nor of the the scale that a city of our size should be able to support. Denver may not be as large, but she is way more dense and she built one DOWNTOWN on reclaimed land. If we were to build a Walt Disney World type park, then the proximity to Houston would be mute. The park itself would be the destination point. Downtown to Kemah (tiny park) 35 miles. Downtown to Galveston (small park) 51 miles Downtown to New Caney (different theme entirely) 31 miles. And again, none of these would be a draw TO Houston. With the Astrodome incorporated into the old Astroworld turf and acquiring a bit more land (though apts have taken most), that could help Houston proper. IMO

Very few (perhaps like zero) have the zoning laws nor the amount of empty land that Houston has within her core. I really don't consider any of these options 'close' to Houston, nor of the the scale that a city of our size should be able to support. Denver may not be as large, but she is way more dense and she built one DOWNTOWN on reclaimed land. If we were to build a Walt Disney World type park, then the proximity to Houston would be mute. The park itself would be the destination point. Downtown to Kemah (tiny park) 35 miles. Downtown to Galveston (small park) 51 miles Downtown to New Caney (different theme entirely) 31 miles. And again, none of these would be a draw TO Houston. With the Astrodome incorporated into the old Astroworld turf and acquiring a bit more land (though apts have taken most), that could help Houston proper. IMO

I don't consider far North Houston close to far South Houston or far East Houston close to far West Houston. But we are all part of one big happy metropolitan area. If you are waiting for a major park to open anywhere within 20 miles of downtown Houston, you will be waiting for a very long time. Check out where all the amusement parks in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago, New York, Atlanta, Dallas, St. Louis, and Cincinnati are. The closest one to the downtown area in any of those cities is about 15 miles - and in most cases about 30 miles.

Land is too expensive to build theme parks anywhere except the outskirts. Galveston, Kemah and New Caney are all on the outskirts of Houston. Those cities may have the actual parks, but Houston gets all the credit! Woo-Hoo! Take that suckers!

Archived