Houston City Hall History

dbigtex56

Houston had Federal signal Thunderbolt 1000, 1000T & 1003 sirens. There was also one located on the corner of long point & campbell Rd. at an elementary school. I lived very close to it & heard it wail every friday at 12pm. There were many others located around houston, but they were all taken down in the early 90's. They were used for civil defense & storm warning.

Thanks for the info Jpayne9207, and welcome to HAIF.

How did you learn about the sort of sirens we had in Houston? Is there a club for this sort of thing?

I worked directly across from City Hall, at One Shell, in the late 80's-early 90's and remember it very well. We called it the Friday lunch bell.

There was also one on Bellaire Blvd. near Auden/Braes at a Shell facility. This one sounded into the mid-90's. I don't remember on what schedule, though.

• 1 month later...
Thanks for the info Jpayne9207, and welcome to HAIF.

How did you learn about the sort of sirens we had in Houston? Is there a club for this sort of thing?

There are many siren websites on the internet. I & other siren enthusiasts found some articles on what happened to the sirens we had. There are a few websites you can go to & learn about the type of sirens we had, or what sirens certain city's have. Here are a few:

http://airraidsirens.com/forums/

http://www.civildefensemuseum.com/sirens.html

http://www.jmarcoz.com/sirens/sirenarchive.htm

article on Houstons sirens:

http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive....id=1992_1051028

there was also a short discussion on the houston sirens on the first links board archives somewhere.

there are many more

• 2 months later...

The "Official" death of Houston's air raid sirens was at 12:00 noon on April 24, 1992. :(

I managed to "get one" a series A Federal Thunderbolt 1000T. It's a duel toned model

with a 5/6 port ratio which produces a Minor Third pitch. This gives the siren it's

characteristic "doomsday"sound.

The "Houston test" consisted of first the alert signal (one minute steady tone) followed immediatly by

the attack signal (one minute rise and fall tone).

On a slightly off-topic note does anyone know of a "scandal" about the sale of Houston's sirens to

a town in west texas?

• 2 months later...
The "Official" death of Houston's air raid sirens was at 12:00 noon on April 24, 1992. :(

I managed to "get one" a series A Federal Thunderbolt 1000T. It's a duel toned model

with a 5/6 port ratio which produces a Minor Third pitch. This gives the siren it's

characteristic "doomsday"sound.

The "Houston test" consisted of first the alert signal (one minute steady tone) followed immediatly by

the attack signal (one minute rise and fall tone).

On a slightly off-topic note does anyone know of a "scandal" about the sale of Houston's sirens to

a town in west texas?

Every Friday at noon.

I swear I just heard an air raid siren go off a few mins ago.

Somebody's having a FLASHBACK! :ph34r:

Every Friday at noon.

Somebody's having a FLASHBACK! :ph34r:

Nope, no flashbacks. Two other folks with me heard it as well. Perhaps it was a siren from one of the refineries? Though I don't think the sound would carry out this far.

Also, Centerville, TX has an alarm that goes off on Sunday at noon.

Nope, no flashbacks. Two other folks with me heard it as well. Perhaps it was a siren from one of the refineries? Though I don't think the sound would carry out this far.

Also, Centerville, TX has an alarm that goes off on Sunday at noon.

Where are you?

Riverside, which is just south of third ward.

If you discover the source, please update us. If the air is dry, sound from the ship channel could be heard miles away. I am stuck in an office building, so I don't know if it is humid or not. :(

If you discover the source, please update us. If the air is dry, sound from the ship channel could be heard miles away. I am stuck in an office building, so I don't know if it is humid or not. :(

I think I remember the weather report mentioning that the air would be dryer than usual these next few days.

I swear I just heard an air raid siren go off a few mins ago.

JLWM8609, What did it sound like? a Thunderbolt (Duel toned mechanical)? or

Whelen (Electronic single toned)?

There are a bunch of Whelen Modulators along the ship channel and HWY 225 (Refinery Row)

Where is Riverside?

JLWM8609, What did it sound like? a Thunderbolt (Duel toned mechanical)? or

Whelen (Electronic single toned)?

There are a bunch of Whelen Modulators along the ship channel and HWY 225 (Refinery Row)

Where is Riverside?

I guess it sounded like a Thunderbolt as it did the dual tones. Riverside is near 288 and S. MacGregor.

• 3 years later...

There are a few old Thunderbolt sirens still standing around Houston...sadly all inoperative.

1. HazMat Fire Station #22, located at 7825 Harrisburg Blvd has one.

2. Hennessey Park (right next door to Saint Arnold Brewing Co - 2000 Lyons Ave) has one

3. Smith Education / Career Center (corner of Lyons & Gregg) has a nice yellow T-bolt on the roof. Easily seen from the intersection.

4. Nordling Park (I-45 & Nordling Rd area) is said to still have one up.

For all you other siren geeks / siren chasers...you MUST drive by and enjoy these sights!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Allen Brothers Statue Project -- Joseph Finger's original plans for City Hall included two statues of the Allen Brothers ... Houston Press (Houston, Harris Co., TX), Fri., 17 Nov 1939, p. 11, c. 1-2

Texas Star Chapter, Daughters of the Republic of Texas is wanting to finish Finger's vision and install the statues as original planned 75-years ago.

For more information on the project, visit ...

http://www.lksfriday.com/DRT/DRT-018.htm

Why have two small Statues when we can have two HUGE statues in a park somewhere....make it kind've a tourist attraction....or even kind've a walk-of-fame type thing in downtown....have statues of all the famous people/people who have achieved great things from this city...Allen Bros, another Sam Houston, ZZ Top, Beyonce, Michael Debakey, Dr Red Duke, all the mayors...etc.......Or have this in Midtown and contribute the skyline....how crazy would that look....a few stories tall..

• 5 years later...

Sorry for the late reply but the type of air raid siren that was atop Houston City Hall & other locations throughout the city was a "Thunderbolt" supercharged electro-mechanical siren made by the siren manufacturing company Federal Enterprises (now Federal Signal) of University Park, IL. Many municipalities across the country had these from through the mid 50- early 80's as Civil Defense sirens but most up today are in the Midwest and used as tornado sirens. Thunderbolts were capable of producing a sound output of 126dB or higher from close range and had an audible radius of up to a mile away from the siren. However, the single tone variants of the Thunderbolt made a very similar sound to a Chrysler. The siren was removed from the city hall back in the late 80's but others are still standing abandoned in place at the following locations:

* JP Henderson Elementary School

* Burnet Elementary School

* Northline Park

* Two along the refineries along Buffalo Bayou

* Blodgett St & Ennis St

* Denver Harbor Swimming Pool. 

Other communities in the Houston area such as Friendswood, Pasadena, Deer Park, La Porte, Baytown, and Texas City have sirens in place used to warn of chemical spills from nearby refineries and are tested regularly. Here is a list of their siren testing times:

La Porte & Deer Park: Saturdays at Noon

Baytown: Wednesdays at 9:00 am

Texas City & LaMarque: Wednesdays at Noon

Mont Belvieu: 1st Wednesdays at 4:00 pm

Pasadena: 1st Thursday of every month at 6:00 pm

Friendswood: 1st Friday of every month at Noon

Hope y.all can find this information helpful :)

On 11/27/2008 at 6:53 PM, Jpayne9207 said:

Houston had Federal signal Thunderbolt 1000, 1000T & 1003 sirens. There was also one located on the corner of long point & campbell Rd. at an elementary school. I lived very close to it & heard it wail every friday at 12pm. There were many others located around houston, but they were all taken down in the early 90's. They were used for civil defense & storm warning.

Here's a 1003 in action 

1000T in attack mode 

• 1 year later...
  • The title was changed to Houston City Hall History

Archived