Sign in to follow this  
Jeebus

Houston denied final retired space shuttle

Wow, I thought this would be a hot topic here. Maybe there's a legitimate reason why we didn't get it....?

HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Houston's Johnson Space Center will not receive one of the retired space shuttles as the fleet is distributed around the country.

There are three shuttles up for grabs and the Johnson Space Center in southeast Houston was considered a contender to get one. However, we had some serious competition from several cities including Seattle, New York City, Los Angeles and Dayton, Ohio. The big announcement officially came today at noon on the 30th anniversary of the first space shuttle launch.

Discovery, which ended its flying career last month, will be housed at the Smithsonian's National Air and Space Museum in Washington, DC. That leaves Atlantis, Endeavor and Enterprise, which is a prototype orbiter that never made it into space.

Atlantis will go to Kennedy Space Center in Florida, where all the shuttles have been launched. The prototype Enterprise will go to the Intrepid Sea, Air and Space Museum in New York. California Science Center in Los Angeles will receive the Endeavour.

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/technology&id=8067440

I can understand the Smithsonian. To a lesser extent, the Kennedy Space Center has a legitimate, historic reason for having a shuttle.

But, NYC? LA? Whatever involvement they had with the shuttle program is, at best, minimal.

We already have an internationally known facility dedicated to the history of America's space exploration. This fight is not over.

• Like 1

I think Houston should have a shuttle, but let me play devil's advocate - NY and LA - do you think that it may have something to do with them being the #1 and #2 largest cities in the US?

This whole thing smells, and bad. Forget everybody hating Houston (especially East coasters), NY and LA getting these seems like a direct slap in the face. How is it possible we weren't at least the number 2 city? Again, something's rotten in Denmark.

• Like 1

I think Houston should have a shuttle, but let me play devil's advocate - NY and LA - do you think that it may have something to do with them being the #1 and #2 largest cities in the US?

One (1) shuttle for Washington DC because it has NASA HQ.

One (1) shuttle for Cape Canaveral because it has KSC.

One (1) shuttle for Southern California because it has the Dryden Flight Research Center & Edwards AFB.

New York City makes absolutely no sense. Nothing happened there!

One (1) shuttle for Houston because it has JSC.

• Like 2

Was this politically motivated, based on population, or simply a matter of economics (i.e., JSC supporters were not able to raise sufficient funds)?

It's disappointing, yes - but I'd rather see Houston look forward than backward. Don't ask me what that means, other than to hear me say I'm an eternal optimist. cool.gif

Edited by Simbha

Heard on the news it WAS politically motivated, and some want to have a congressional hearing on why Texas was snubbed.

A lot of people on news comments, including me, believe that it's Obama's revenge for being George Bush's state.

(Psst! Obama! Houston has LOTS of your supporters!)

To make matters worse, on top of not being awarded a shuttle, Houston's JSC is losing all its shuttle trainers and simulators. They'll be shipped off to places like Seattle; Dayton, OH; and College Station.

In exchange Houston gets two space shuttle seats.

That's not a "snub". That's an unamibiguous slap across the face, plus a middle finger...and I think Obama even said something about our mama.

• Like 1

To make matters worse, on top of not being awarded a shuttle, Houston's JSC is losing all its shuttle trainers and simulators. They'll be shipped off to places like Seattle; Dayton, OH; and College Station.

What do you mean we get two shuttle seats? What does this mean?

Heard on the news it WAS politically motivated, and some want to have a congressional hearing on why Texas was snubbed.

A lot of people on news comments, including me, believe that it's Obama's revenge for being George Bush's state.

(Psst! Obama! Houston has LOTS of your supporters!)

Wait. There are consequences to being a non-compromising, political ideologue?

Who knew?

• Like 1

Well Obama has definitely lost my vote for 2012. (Unless Pallin is running against him then like always I will be forced to vote against the worst of two evils).

• Like 1

I would never base my vote on something as trivial as where the government chooses to mothball old hardware, but this political angle is suspect. The Smithsonian has long been promised one of the shuttles, and Cape Canaveral is a logical choice. The only "political" choices would be LA and New York. Perhaps I am naive, but what does the President gain by giving a couple of old shuttles to two states that voted solidly Democratic in 2008, and are in no danger in 2012? Nothing. Perhaps Dayton, Ohio would have reaped a political windfall, but they did not get one.

This sounds like so much sour grapes, and coming from a state that goes out of its way to sabotage the President's policies, one has to say, what did you expect? This is exactly what Texas' political leaders would have done, so I suppose that is why they are so suspicious that it may have been done to them.

• Like 2

That's not a "snub". That's an unamibiguous slap across the face, plus a middle finger...and I think Obama even said something about our mama.

I don't believe it was politically motivated. If it were, I would think that we WOULD have received the shuttle. LA and NYC are already politically safe for Obama... so he has nothing to gain by sending the shuttles to them. Houston (and Texas) is a place Democrats are going to try and make gains in w/ the growing Hispanic population and shift to urban areas. If it were political, they would have tried to woo over voters in potential battle ground states for years to come.

• Like 1

I would never base my vote on something as trivial as where the government chooses to mothball old hardware, but this political angle is suspect. The Smithsonian has long been promised one of the shuttles, and Cape Canaveral is a logical choice. The only "political" choices would be LA and New York. Perhaps I am naive, but what does the President gain by giving a couple of old shuttles to two states that voted solidly Democratic in 2008, and are in no danger in 2012? Nothing. Perhaps Dayton, Ohio would have reaped a political windfall, but they did not get one.

Yeah, I tend to agree. This wasn't Machiavellian enough to be overtly political. I suspect that we're witnessing a crappy bureaucratic process in action.

If it is political, it's as much a failure of state and local representatives as it is a snub by their adversaries. As per the quote in the Chronicle, ideologues aren't good at dealmaking.

What's really more important is that JSC continue it's role as NASA's preeminent space facility. Hopefully the backlash will put more pressure on keeping more jobs and projects based at JSC.

If it is political, it's as much a failure of state and local representatives as it is a snub by their adversaries. As per the quote in the Chronicle, ideologues aren't good at dealmaking.

What's really more important is that JSC continue it's role as NASA's preeminent space facility. Hopefully the backlash will put more pressure on keeping more jobs and projects based at JSC.

Absolutely. If someone wants to be angry at politicians, the better target would be the arrogant and/or lazy Texas pols who apparently simply assumed that Houston would get the shuttle. Remember the military truck contract in Sealy that went to Wisconsin? AFTER the contract went to Wisconsin, the local politicians screamed and cried, but the fact remained that they ignored it until it was too late.

It is much easier to cover their incompetence by blaming it on politics than it is to admit that our Texas politicians simply expected the shuttle to come here without their doing their jobs. I'm not buying it. Especially, since there were articles suggesting that we started trying way too late to affect the outcome.

Its political. Obama has no chance in Texas...he knows it. The shuttles will increase revenue through tourism....he is repaying a favor. These States helped him get elected, and he wants them to help him get re-elected. He is prepaying them for part of the 2012 campaign. What does he have to gain in Texas? Nothing....Texas is still a solidly red state for the time being. Texas has the JSC...if he gave one to JSC it would not look political at all....it would look deserved, earned...like the right thing to do. That is not the Obama way....I was surprised Chicago was not a nominee.

As to ideologues not being good at dealmaking...I can't think of more ideological politicians than Obama/Reid/Pelosi. They are farther to the left than the tea-party is to the right....you can't meet in the middle of any political discussion when one group of people wants the government to coddle everyone for everything cradle to grave, and make sure that everyone has equal everything regardless of work. and the other party wants the government out of everything except for the Military.

Both parties spend too much money....After watching the "compromise" on the budget play out, financially speaking I dont see much of a difference between parties. Both are completely out of touch with reality. We are losing our world standing as a super power, an economic leader, and the only thing our politicians want to argue about is more of the same....a 38 billion dollar reduction in a 1.3 trillion dollar increase in our deficit from the new budget....only in DC can that be an accomplishment.

• Like 1

Not that I agree with the decision, but the Shuttle was designed by Rockwell in SoCal and built in Palmdale. Boeing Canoga Park and Huntington Beach played heavy roles in the Shuttle until engineering was relocated to Houston in 2001. So they have the history, though JSC has a more important one.

Not that I agree with the decision, but the Shuttle was designed by Rockwell in SoCal and built in Palmdale. Boeing Canoga Park and Huntington Beach played heavy roles in the Shuttle until engineering was relocated to Houston in 2001. So they have the history, though JSC has a more important one.

Explain New York.

• Like 1

Explain New York.

I can't, but they didn't get it so who cares. anyone has the right to put their names in the hat.

I was just explaining that southern california does have ties to the space shuttle program, albeit dated.

again, i'm very disappointed and was hoping for it to come to Houston. There's plenty of land by Rocket Park, it would have made a great addition to the Space Center. You would think that whole Mission Control card would have held some water. oh well...

I think it's money related. NY and LA are both paying $28m each for a shuttle. The Smithsonian and KSC are not paying anything. I would imagine that if JSC were selected, we would not have had to pay either.

I think it's money related. NY and LA are both paying $28m each for a shuttle. The Smithsonian and KSC are not paying anything. I would imagine that if JSC were selected, we would not have had to pay either.

First I've heard of that. I did not realize they were for sale. I wonder if Houston was allowed to even place a bid?

there is some sites out there stating the shuttle was sold for $28M, but this seems to be more realistic:

Article on shuttle move

Obviously there is a large cost to move the shuttle and house it. It would make sense that for private museums they would foot the bill while for KSC, JSC, or the Smithsonian the government would have to eat the cost, giving an advantage over JSC.

Actually I think we've already got JSC and Space Center Houston and Rocket Park. Makes sense they would think we have "enough" and would put the shuttles elsewhere. I've heard that the NY and CA choices were based primarily on population size of the metro area.

Actually I think we've already got JSC and Space Center Houston and Rocket Park. Makes sense they would think we have "enough" and would put the shuttles elsewhere. I've heard that the NY and CA choices were based primarily on population size of the metro area.

I think because we have JSC, Space Center Houston and Rocket Park - we should have gotten the shuttle. And our Rocket Park is a joke compared to KSC's. KSC is a very impressive facility but once the shuttle retires and there's a lull in manned space flight, I'm wondering if the popularity of visiting there will go down. Will as many people make the trek out to the Cape from Orlando when all the buzz of shuttle launches is gone?

At least we have our Saturn V...

How is anyone even arguing against one of the Shuttles coming to Houston. I understand playing devils advocate, but c'mon. Is it even neccessary to discuss the reasons why? If someone has the time maybe they can give a break down of what JSC has meant to the American Space program over the last 45ish years.

This has payback written all over it.

• Like 1

New York City makes absolutely no sense. Nothing happened there!

Explain New York.

Easy. New York already has more tourist destinations than anyone could reasonably expect to explore.

Therefore, it needs another attraction which people will regretfully forego while visiting there. "Had a great time! But we missed Radio City Music Hall, the Space Shuttle, and Grant's Tomb."

It's been a while since I posted, I think it's been several years. For anyone who remembers me, I work at NASA as a contractor engineer, and have a huge love affair with the City of Houston. I spend my time between my home and work in the NASA area, and also enjoy being in the city every chance I get. The space program and the city of Houston are two things I am extremely passionate about. So as you can imagine, I along with many others feel the gut sinking emotion of the loss that this city has taken with not being selected as home for a retired shuttle. I am putting this politely, because in reality, I am so angry I can almost not function. This is such as huge punch in the nose for not only us who have spent most of our professional lives in the space program, but also for the city that has had its identity stepped on with the asinine decision that occurred on Tuesday. To put things more in the vernacular, there have now been around 3,000 space workers laid off in the JSC community just within the last 2 years. We have seen project cancelation after project cancelation. The losses are now weekly in this place. I myself have moved from project to project in recent years just so that I can continue to feed my family and keep a roof over their heads. And my wife…her last day after 24 years on Space Shuttle will be this July. She will be amongst the final group laid off from the Space Shuttle program. Even though, she and I still feel the pride, and understand that some things must eventually come to an end. I move from project to project without hesitation as needed because I love the space program and because I love the fact that it is a part of the great city of Houston. What I do not have any more tolerance for, however, is the steady kicks in the stomach our programs has received continuously this past 2 years. Amongst what is being allowed to be thrown away are extremely unique talented people, many of them our elders whom we are fortunate to work with, with their years of corporate knowledge of what it takes to put humans in space, and do it correctly. I will tell you that a lot of these people simply cannot be replaced…they have stored in their minds the lessons learned, their innovations, and most important their realism on what it took to design the great machines of Space Station, Space Shuttle, Apollo, and its predecessors. This knowhow can only come from having been there a long time. Yet this unofficial brain trust is steadily being thrown away. They are quickly disappearing. In the face of all this, it would have been nice for our leaders to show some compassion, to place a symbol of all this work in its rightful home. This did not occur. And so my disgust will most definitely be reflected towards those leaders, come election time.

• Like 6

http://blogs.chron.c...s_challeng.html

Disappointed Texans in Congress are threatening legislative action to block NASA's planned transfer of a retired shuttle orbiter from

Florida's Kennedy Space Center to a riverside museum in New York City.

The 16 lawmakers, led by Reps. Ted Poe, R-Humble, and Pete Olson, R-Sugar Land, want NASA to award a retired shuttle to Houston's Johnson

Space Center. The lawmakers — 15 Republicans joined by Houston Democrat Gene Green — issued their threat in a letter to NASA administrator Charles Bolden.

"If there is no rational explanation based on definable factors for the choice of the Intrepid museum in New York City, and that the transfer of the Enterprise to that location will cost significantly more than a transfer to the Johnson Space Center in Houston, we will do everything in our power in Congress, including legislation to prevent funding of the transfer, to stop this wasteful decision," the lawmakers warned.

• Like 1

It's been a while since I posted, I think it's been several years. For anyone who remembers me, I work at NASA as a contractor engineer, and have a huge love affair with the City of Houston. I spend my time between my home and work in the NASA area, and also enjoy being in the city every chance I get. The space program and the city of Houston are two things I am extremely passionate about. So as you can imagine, I along with many others feel the gut sinking emotion of the loss that this city has taken with not being selected as home for a retired shuttle. I am putting this politely, because in reality, I am so angry I can almost not function. This is such as huge punch in the nose for not only us who have spent most of our professional lives in the space program, but also for the city that has had its identity stepped on with the asinine decision that occurred on Tuesday. To put things more in the vernacular, there have now been around 3,000 space workers laid off in the JSC community just within the last 2 years. We have seen project cancelation after project cancelation. The losses are now weekly in this place. I myself have moved from project to project in recent years just so that I can continue to feed my family and keep a roof over their heads. And my wife…her last day after 24 years on Space Shuttle will be this July. She will be amongst the final group laid off from the Space Shuttle program. Even though, she and I still feel the pride, and understand that some things must eventually come to an end. I move from project to project without hesitation as needed because I love the space program and because I love the fact that it is a part of the great city of Houston. What I do not have any more tolerance for, however, is the steady kicks in the stomach our programs has received continuously this past 2 years. Amongst what is being allowed to be thrown away are extremely unique talented people, many of them our elders whom we are fortunate to work with, with their years of corporate knowledge of what it takes to put humans in space, and do it correctly. I will tell you that a lot of these people simply cannot be replaced…they have stored in their minds the lessons learned, their innovations, and most important their realism on what it took to design the great machines of Space Station, Space Shuttle, Apollo, and its predecessors. This knowhow can only come from having been there a long time. Yet this unofficial brain trust is steadily being thrown away. They are quickly disappearing. In the face of all this, it would have been nice for our leaders to show some compassion, to place a symbol of all this work in its rightful home. This did not occur. And so my disgust will most definitely be reflected towards those leaders, come election time.

Well said. 2112. Glad someone from the NASA community spoke up.

It's a liberal, communist, nazi, al-Qaeda conspiracy if there ever was one. (did I leave anyone out?)

This fight is not over.

Sure seems like it.

Never figured you as a quitter. Until the shuttles have been physically moved, this remains a topic of debate.

The outrage at this decision isn't only local; America recognizes Houston's role in the space program. We deserve recognition, and will get it.

• Like 3

Never figured you as a quitter. Until the shuttles have been physically moved, this remains a topic of debate.

The outrage at this decision isn't only local; America recognizes Houston's role in the space program. We deserve recognition, and will get it.

Especially once people started questioning why our fearless Republican contingent of politicians did virtually nothing to advance the cause. Now, they have to raise a huge stink to cover up their inaction, and I have every confidence that they will do so. That fearsome letter is just the start! Next up, HEARINGS!

Wonder if they'll invite Roger Clemens? He loves talking at those things.

• Like 2

If I may add to my post above, as a side note, and to clarify some of the history of Space Shuttle…Houston has indeed been the center of the design of the spacecraft from the very beginning. I am talking about the 1973 timeframe when it all began. The full integrated spacecraft avionics, that is, all the electronics, the main guidance computers, the engine interface units, the main engine controllers, all the data bus wiring, the power systems, star trackers….all of the complex systems or “guts” that make the shuttle fly…live in one central place where it all came together. That place is within one building inside JSC. It is called the Shuttle Avionics Integration Laboratory (SAIL). From the very beginning, this is where it all happened. To this day, it is the only fully integrated space shuttle testbed. It is physically the same length and size, complete with cockpit, and is always used prior to every shuttle mission to confirm that the software that fly’s the spacecraft is reliable and performs with integrity, for every mission , and before the actual launch of the real bird. In fact, all space shuttles have a vehicle number, which starts with “OV”, for “orbital vehicle”. This is the technical term for what is known as the space shuttle orbiter. And guess where the first serial number “OV” is? It is this SAIL laboratory in JSC, in Houston. In other words, it is essentially “serial No. 1”. And it is still there. I know this because I worked in that building in the 80’s and early 90’s, and it is where my wife has always worked since the 1980’s. It is essentially a space shuttle with all its skin removed, such that all the wiring and electronic “black boxes” are fully exposed for the engineers and technicians to perform work on. Obviously the engines and rockets are not there inside the building, so those 2 things are simulated, which is also another part of the SAIL laboratory. This place in JSC is where any problem that may occur on a real mission…is actually troubleshot, and solutions found. I mention this because although the orbiter of the space shuttle was manufactured in California, the true and fully integrated testing and full validation...where the critical systems were first proved, and blessed, occurred at JSC. It started in Houston in 1973, and it is still operational today.

Edited by 2112
  • Like 7

If I may add to my post above, as a side note, and to clarify some of the history of Space Shuttle…Houston has indeed been the center of the design of the spacecraft from the very beginning. I am talking about the 1973 timeframe when it all began. The full integrated spacecraft avionics, that is, all the electronics, the main guidance computers, the engine interface units, the main engine controllers, all the data bus wiring, the power systems, star trackers….all of the complex systems or “guts” that make the shuttle fly…live in one central place where it all came together. That place is within one building inside JSC. It is called the Shuttle Avionics Integration Laboratory (SAIL). From the very beginning, this is where it all happened. To this day, it is the only fully integrated space shuttle testbed. It is physically the same length and size, complete with cockpit, and is always used prior to every shuttle mission to confirm that the software that fly’s the spacecraft is reliable and performs with integrity, for every mission , and before the actual launch of the real bird. In fact, all space shuttles have a vehicle number, which starts with “OV”, for “orbital vehicle”. This is the technical term for what is known as the space shuttle orbiter. And guess where the first serial number “OV” is? It is this SAIL laboratory in JSC, in Houston. In other words, it is essentially “serial No. 1”. And it is still there. I know this because I worked in that building in the 80’s and early 90’s, and it is where my wife has always worked since the 1980’s. It is essentially a space shuttle with all its skin removed, such that all the wiring and electronic “black boxes” are fully exposed for the engineers and technicians to perform work on. Obviously the engines and rockets are not there inside the building, so those 2 things are simulated, which is also another part of the SAIL laboratory. This place in JSC is where any problem that may occur on a real mission…is actually troubleshot, and solutions found. I mention this because although the orbiter of the space shuttle was built in California, the true and fully integrated testing, validation...where the critical systems were first tested, proved, and blessed, occurred at JSC, in Houston. It started in Houston in 1973, and it is still operational today.

Thanks for your insights. The (few) people I've known who worked for NASA were well compensated; but that wasn't what really motivated them. They were passionate about their work. It seems only right that the results of those late nights of labor should be recognized. And while I don't know you (howdy, neighbor!), the work you've done makes me proud of Houston. This is a part of our heritage, and we won't let it be taken from us.

• Like 1

Especially once people started questioning why our fearless Republican contingent of politicians did virtually nothing to advance the cause. Now, they have to raise a huge stink to cover up their inaction, and I have every confidence that they will do so. That fearsome letter is just the start! Next up, HEARINGS!

I must have missed all the letters to NASA that SLJ, Al Green, Gene Green and mayor Parker wrote outside of and prior to the official "Bring the Shuttle to Houston" contingent.

• Like 1

I must have missed all the letters to NASA that SLJ, Al Green, Gene Green and mayor Parker wrote outside of and prior to the official "Bring the Shuttle to Houston" contingent.

Oh, they suck, too! They simply aren't jumping on the "It was all political" bandwagon, for obvious reasons. This is a team screwup by our elected officials. I just think that blame should be placed on the people whose job it is to look out for our interests, and who did not do so.

I have read that JSC was slow in getting this effort going, as well. They should share some blame. In a hyper-competitive country, these are things that cannot be taken for granted. The fact that no one outside the committee that snubbed Houston could imagine not giving a shuttle to JSC is no reason to simply assume that they will do the right thing.

I hope that the cage rattling by our elected officials yields results, and that a wrong is corrected. But, should that occur, I will only say that this was the least that they could do, given their dropping the ball. I will not congratulate them.

NOTE to bigtex: You met 2112 at our very first HAIF happy hour at Berryhill in the Heights. Nice to see you back, 2112!

Edited by RedScare

Oh, they suck, too! They simply aren't jumping on the "It was all political" bandwagon, for obvious reasons. This is a team screwup by our elected officials. I just think that blame should be placed on the people whose job it is to look out for our interests, and who did not do so.

I have read that JSC was slow in getting this effort going, as well. They should share some blame. In a hyper-competitive country, these are things that cannot be taken for granted. The fact that no one outside the committee that snubbed Houston could imagine not giving a shuttle to JSC is no reason to simply assume that they will do the right thing.

I hope that the cage rattling by our elected officials yields results, and that a wrong is corrected. But, should that occur, I will only say that this was the least that they could do, given their dropping the ball. I will not congratulate them.

NOTE to bigtex: You met 2112 at our very first HAIF happy hour at Berryhill in the Heights. Nice to see you back, 2112!

Bigtex, thank you so much for your kind words. As has been recently discussed in the local pubs around NASA...it is somewhat comforting that the entire city seems to be on our side, and is just as upset about what happened as we are. It's like haveing people backing you up in a fight, even though we dont know thier names or who they are. Let me tell you the pubs and bars around here the last several days have been filled with much cursing!! And Redscare...good to hear from everyone again! Yes, I remember that happy hour in the heights! That was several years back...I wanna say.....5 years ago or so??

Edited by 2112

Nope I think it has something to do with politics and so do s few others on this board that generally consider themselves to be so progressive. In the past two years can any of you name a win from the Fed to Texas or the Gulf Coast?

Edited by HTX
  • Like 1

Sen Shumer, D NY - "When people from Paris, Beijing, Tokyo and Amsterdam start saying they want to go to Houston, maybe then they'll get a shuttle,""I'd say to Texas, don't mess with New York."

http://www.nydailyne...mer_says_f.html

Them's fightin' words right there.... Get a rope...

Oh, they suck, too! They simply aren't jumping on the "It was all political" bandwagon, for obvious reasons. This is a team screwup by our elected officials. I just think that blame should be placed on the people whose job it is to look out for our interests, and who did not do so

They're all on the bandwagon now. SJL, Al and Gene, plus congressmen from 4 other states.

http://blogs.chron.c...s_file_leg.html

They're all on the bandwagon now. SJL, Al and Gene, plus congressmen from 4 other states.

http://blogs.chron.c...s_file_leg.html

I wonder if this is going to get some legs?

Lord knows I'm sure there are quite a few members that would like to stick it to new york in some fashion.

I'm a bit surprised that Ms. Parker isn't jumping in on the "we got shafted" argument, but she seemed rather apathetic about NASA's big downscaling about a year ago anyway.

I'm a bit surprised that Ms. Parker isn't jumping in on the "we got shafted" argument, but she seemed rather apathetic about NASA's big downscaling about a year ago anyway.

She did and called it a completely political decision. For 2112, walk over to building 35 and see the dismantling of the hardware in the building. While there are many still at work on the last 2 flights, walking out to the parking lot this afternoon really put things into perspective for those of us that are still there.

• Like 1

Nope I think it has something to do with politics and so do s few others on this board that generally consider themselves to be so progressive. In the past two years can any of you name a win from the Fed to Texas or the Gulf Coast?

Of course it has something to do with politics, (you might want to read my auto-signature again). Are you really surprised that Texas isn't getting a lot of love from the federal government given the current state leadership's relationship with the federal government?

My point was that there is a legitimate case for locating a shuttle in Los Angeles and specifically at the California Science Center. The museum has a strong space exhibit already, the city has a long history in the aerospace industry and it's a free public museum in the second largest metro in the country.

With New York, it comes down to one question - are you locating the shuttle based on historical connection to the shuttle program or are you locating it to make it visible to the highest possible number of people? If you're locating it based on history, then yes, it needs to come to Houston, but if you're locating it to provide maximum visibility, then it's hard to argue that it shouldn't go to New York.

In each case, they placed shuttles in locations that would provide the maximum tourist exposure. We can argue whether that was the right criteria to use, but assuming that was the goal, then they put them in the right places.

• Like 1