White Announces Way Cleared For Fed Transit $

That they finally did something for Houston should be applauded, not derided.

That is taking it a bit far. They should not be applauded for something they were put in office to do, which was help Houston as much as they could. If anything we should be saying, it's a shame about the role they played in it all taking so long.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder how Houston would look if the old plans of the monorail, and subway had came to life. Would the freeways be as big? Would the city be more dense? Would people talk bad on the city as much? Would the city be more urban?

I wonder how Houston would look if the old plans of the monorail, and subway had came to life. Would the freeways be as big? Would the city be more dense? Would people talk bad on the city as much? Would the city be more urban?

and if had been done during the whitmire years in the early 80s ... we'd be SO much further along as a city, and able to tackle new issues.

seems like the visionaries here get crucified and then their ideas get rehashed years later. oh well, better late than never.

Some feel betrayed by Metro

Minorities say routes without trains not what they sought in '03 referendumBy RAD SALLEE

Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

Two days after Metro's revised transit plan was announced, criticism was bubbling up in the minority communities whose votes for light rail tipped the scales in a close election. . .

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/front/3227830

Minorities say routes without trains not what they sought in '03 referendumBy RAD SALLEE

Two days after Metro's revised transit plan was announced, criticism was bubbling up in the minority communities whose votes for light rail tipped the scales in a close election. . .

don't you have a dallas forum to support?stop wasting your time here.

Given the realities, and the history, of rail in Houston, I believe the best decision was made in this case. But at the same time, I think that the feelings in the lower-income/high-transit-use communities are also warrented. I mean, they did get the short end of the stick, while Uptown gets a better deal. But again, in the interest of rail in Houston, I support the decision. Not that anybody cares or anything! Just my dos centavos.

The Chronicle said that the NW commuter line will use "existing track along 290". I wasn't aware there was track there. Do they mean the track next to Hempstead Highway? And it appears that the line will use the same right of way inside the loop that was proposed for the Heights Toll Road. Residents there were not too thrilled about a toll road, to say the least. They were hoping to turn the abandoned track into a green belt and/or a hike and bike trail. How do they feel about a commuter rail line? Can they do anything about it?

from the Northwest Transit Center to downtown (called MKT corridor) has been purchased from Union Pacific by TxDOT. This will enable METRO to buy it from TxDOT when they decide to build their commuter rail. This deal took place about two years ago.

The corridor will never be used for a tollroad east of Hempstead highway to the Heights. I was told this by the president of HCTRA and Art Storey.

Another thing to understand when the word corridor is used with a highway, it doesn't always mean right along the highway. Hempstead Hwy and the rail next to is in the US 290 corridor. It was US 290 before it became a freeway.

I'm along the lines of a couple of posters on here, I have mixed feelings about the plan.

I understand that they're going to throw tracks into the ground on a couple of the "bus routes" but I want more details on how it's going to go and what the timeline is going to be.

I do believe the east side was seriously short changed in the compromised, but not overly so. I think the ridership numbers were seriously being lowballed for one reason or another.

R

Has anyone heard of what's being planned where the Main line and UH-Uptown line will intersect? I think someone mentioned somewhere that there's already some massive mixed-use project being planned for that intersection point area.

Guest danax
Has anyone heard of what's being planned where the Main line and UH-Uptown line will intersect? I think someone mentioned somewhere that there's already some massive mixed-use project being planned for that intersection point area.

It's supposed to be the Wheeler Station.

It's only temporary, anyway, citykid. Dopn't get your pants in a wad over it. if you want, go talk to Metro, or DeLay about it.

I really would not want to see the buses coming throught the galleria, do you know howmany people would laugh at how cheap the city is.

you crack me up man. first off light rail is going throught the galleria from the U of H campus. second, you would build Houston as people outside the city want it rather than what benefits the city's citizens because of people's thoughts you have had encounters with in other forums. plus, aren't you in bryan-college station? :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
That was a very good article and I think it is a good idea to use the BRT as expansion lines further down the line in the future.

i was listening to this report on the radio this a.m. let me get this new plan proposal right...?

the new plan calls for them going ahead and building the tracks, covering them (with asphalt and sensors for the BRT presumably?), and then later --after the buses are running okay, they will uncover the tracks and use trains on them?

this sounds like a lot of work. am i mistaken on the new plan?

Removing the asphalt isn't that expensive. One LRT would probably cost more than removing asphalt on the tracks. One maching making one or two passes would remove all the asphalt.

Archived