Parc Binz I & II: Offices With Retail At Binz And Chenevert St.

ChannelTwoNews

There is, of course, no set definition of "high-rise" or "mid-rise" or "low-rise".  But I think one can safely say that in the Houston real estate world, very few would consider a 6 story building to be a high-rise.

In marketing terms I agree.

There is, of course, no set definition of "high-rise" or "mid-rise" or "low-rise".  But I think one can safely say that in the Houston real estate world, very few would consider a 6 story building to be a high-rise.

A high-rise is defined as a structure at least 35 metres (115 ft) or 12 stories tall.

A high-rise is defined as a structure at least 35 metres (115 ft) or 12 stories tall.

That sounds reasonable but defined by whom? I would think different entities would have slight variations on the definition of a high-rise building.

The National Fire Protection Agency (NFPA) document 5000 defines a high-rise building as one where the highest floor capable of being occupied "is greater than 75 feet (23 meters) above the lowest level of fire department vehicle access." As an aside, 75 feet usually equates to about 6 stories in modern American commercial buildings.

What this particular definition means is that if a piece of fire apparatus (a ladder truck for example) can access the first floor, and the building height is greater than 75 feet (23 meters) above that floor, then the building is considered a high rise for the purpose of determining which fire protection methods are required. The NFPA does not necessarily dictate these measures but individual municipalities usually adopt them as part of their life safety code requirements.

Of course there can be different definitions of high-rise buildings depending on other factors such as sight lines, shading of neighboring properties, etc. In any case the code definition of a high-rise building takes precedence over any other definition for the purposes of life safety and fire protection.

I went to Emporis' web site. They seem to be a self-proclaimed expert on commercial buildings. If their definition of a high rise is accepted by the industry for the purposes of marketing, etc. I have to take it as valid for those purposes as well. Just know that there is more than one definition of a high-rise building, some of which have important legal implications.

Back to the topic of this thread: Parc Binz One would seem to be a mid-rise then. I'm pleased to see it and other structures of similar size going up along this street. The seem appropriate in scale for the neighborhood.

I went to Emporis' web site. They seem to be a self-proclaimed expert on commercial buildings. If their definition of a high rise is accepted by the industry for the purposes of marketing, etc. I have to take it as valid for those purposes as well. Just know that there is more than one definition of a high-rise building, some of which have important legal implications.

Back to the topic of this thread: Parc Binz One would seem to be a mid-rise then. I'm pleased to see it and other structures of similar size going up along this street. The seem appropriate in scale for the neighborhood.

It is widely accepted that 115 ft is the height required to be called a highrise. I don't think there is an exact definition though.

I'm not upset about the rendering changing from modern to every "midrise" building built in Germany in the 60's. It looks kind of funky, and interesting. Looking forward to seeing how the colors turn out. Is there a part of the newer rendering that includes the garage?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

One of the rare cases where the finished product actually looks better than the rendering, although it is out of scale for the streetscape.  Love the old apartments next door.

That was my first thought - holy cow that thing is big - when I saw the next-to-last picture.....

Love the building though...kinda looks like a big stapler in some views!!

Edited by HoustonMidtown
  • Like 1

I feel like they should have "gussied" up the parking garage with a green screen of some type?  That's the one part that really won't age very well.

The horrors of designing in Houston I guess. Always need that garage above ground -.- . They should have at least put some sort of clear paneling that would tie into the lower clerestory windows. It looks like the main concept was essentially to have two "floating" volumes. The top separated by a ribbon of glass clerestory to help accentuate the aspect of a "floating element. However, the effect sadly gets ruined the closer you get to the garage :/ Oh well. I'll chalk this up into my young architect brain as a lesson to be learned lol.

That was my first thought - holy cow that thing is big - when I saw the next-to-last picture.....

Love the building though...kinda looks like a big stapler in some views!!

you killed with the stapler thing.....you just killed it >.>

Edited by Luminare

• 3 weeks later...

Some news on the next phase:

The next building is slated for construction over the next year and will be built directly across the street. It'll be pretty similar to Phase 1, and Tim tells us it could potentially go single-tenant (he's talking to an interested group). Energy Architecture designed the project and Linbeck Group is GC.

http://www.bisnow.com/commercial-real-estate/houston/2144-bisnow-exclusive-unique-galleria-multifamily-sells/

• Like 2

• 5 years later...
  • 7 months later...