Parc Binz I & II: Offices With Retail At Binz And Chenevert St.

ChannelTwoNews

I found this proposal while skimming LoopNet a while ago.

Supposedly, someone wants to build a small medical office building with retail & a garage at that location with the aim of opening by early 2013. The brochure hints at a Phase Two that would be an "event center, bar/lounge" that would have retail.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w208/houtosme/ParcBinzOne.jpg

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w208/houtosme/ParcBinzOneA.jpg

Links

-----

LoopNet Listing

Promotional Brochure

• Like 2

To nitpick: Why Parc?

Unless it's an acronym, that spelling should be confined to Paris or Montreal. The pretentiousness is embarrassing.

And Abidjan, New Orleans, Beirut, Casablanca, and Kinsasha too, right?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I saw that all of the large signs at the site have been removed, and there are new "For Lease" signs at the apartments on the corner. Is this project dead already?

The project is located on Binz, which becomes Bissonnet. And if Bissonnet can't handle the traffic of a few hundred apartment units with user densities per square foot of less than half that of office space, then clearly it can't handle this. Obviously there was some bad press brewing over the matter, and obviously that prompted the developer to scrap his idea. The City would never have permitted such a structure there under such circumstances. No sir...

To nitpick: Why Parc?

Unless it's an acronym, that spelling should be confined to Paris or Montreal. The pretentiousness is embarrassing.

Taqueria, Cucina, Bistro, Ristorante, Chaucer Street, Jacinto City, Plaza, etc. Last time I was in New Orleans, there were at least two French spellings of names. We've been lexical borrowing for centuries. :wub:

If this project is dead, then it's the second office/retail project to be cancelled on that section of Binz. The other was on "Binz Med Corp" near Binz and Crawford and the sign was also removed after a year or so after it was announced with no other information about what happened.

Actually their website still exists... http://binzmedcorp.com/main.html

The project is located on Binz, which becomes Bissonnet. And if Bissonnet can't handle the traffic of a few hundred apartment units with user densities per square foot of less than half that of office space, then clearly it can't handle this. Obviously there was some bad press brewing over the matter, and obviously that prompted the developer to scrap his idea. The City would never have permitted such a structure there under such circumstances. No sir...

Binz has four lanes of traffic as opposed to the two that exist at Bissonnet @ Ashby.

The cross streets near this proposal include major North/South thoroughfares as Crawford, Austin, LaBranch, and San Jacinto. It's four city blocks West of 288 and 5 East of the existing light rail. The neighborhood is already MIXED use with condos, museums, apartments, hospitals, offices, and some older single family homes. This location is NOTHING like the Ashby Tower location and you come across as very disingenuous.

• Like 1

If this project is dead, then it's the second office/retail project to be cancelled on that section of Binz. The other was on "Binz Med Corp" near Binz and Crawford and the sign was also removed after a year or so after it was announced with no other information about what happened.

Actually their website still exists... http://binzmedcorp.com/main.html

too bad. it's a shame it's not going up. looks nice.

• Like 1

Binz has four lanes of traffic as opposed to the two that exist at Bissonnet @ Ashby.

The cross streets near this proposal include major North/South thoroughfares as Crawford, Austin, LaBranch, and San Jacinto. It's four city blocks West of 288 and 5 East of the existing light rail. The neighborhood is already MIXED use with condos, museums, apartments, hospitals, offices, and some older single family homes. This location is NOTHING like the Ashby Tower location and you come across as very disingenuous.

Umm... Yeah... I was speaking tounge-in-cheek.

• 5 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Didn't realize someone tried to go "Ashby" on this one and get a movement against the project going. Even has it's own little "evil structure looming over neighborhood" art as well, even if it does look make it look like the Brave Little Toaster had 'roid rage or something.

http://stopparcbinz.org/

Probably speaks to how well it went since I only found this after the crane's up and work has begun...

Edited by ChannelTwoNews
  • Like 1

Didn't realize someone tried to go "Ashby" on this one and get a movement against the project going. Even has it's own little "evil structure looming over neighborhood" art as well, even if it does look make it look like the Brave Little Toaster had 'roid rage or something.

http://stopparcbinz.org/

Probably speaks to how well it went since I only found this after the crane's up and work has begun...

Interesting that someone would fight this 6-story building when there's a 35-story condominium a block away. 

I mean is 6 stories a high-rise ?

I believe most building codes define "high rise" as any structure which has an occupied floor higher than what can be reached by a ladder truck. This has implications in protected egress (exiting) a building such as the number of stair wells, whether sprinkler systems are required, etc. So a 6 story building could be a high rise depending on the height of the 6th floor from ground level.

By the way, most codes in use today heavily favor sprinkler systems in buildings.

• Like 1