LUECKE

lockmat

Pretty neat.

There are several hits on this including this one from NASA...http://earth.jsc.nas...es/default5.htm

We also made an empirical estimate of spatial resolution for lower contrast vegetation boundaries. By clearing forest so that a pattern would be visible to landing aircraft, a landowner outside Austin, Texas (see also aerial photo in Lisheron 2000), created a target that is also useful for evaluating spatial resolution of astronaut photographs. The forest was selectively cleared in order to spell the landowner's name 'LUECKE' with the remaining trees (figure 10). According to local surveyors who planned the clearing, the plan was to create letters that were 3100 ´ 1700 ft (944.9 ´ 518.2 m). Photographed at a high altitude relative to most Shuttle missions (543 km) with a 250-mm lens, Formula 3 predicts that each pixel would represent an area 28.6 ´ 36.0 m on the ground (table 5). When original film was digitised at 2400 ppi (10.6 mm/pixel), letters correspond to 29.4 ´ 18.8 pixels for a comparable pixel size of 27 – 32 m.

It's hard to be sure since Bastrop CAD doesn't have a map feature online to get the address or account #, but I think this might be the name of a former landowner since Lueke didn't pull up anything in their Name database.

Bastrop county has a lot of entries for a Jimmie Luecke - random ones showed "Hidden Pines" subdivision (none have a situs address) and Hidden Pines Dr. runs along the west side of the LUECKE cutout - the GIS viewer lands the plots right around there too.

Bastrop county has a lot of entries for a Jimmie Luecke - random ones showed "Hidden Pines" subdivision (none have a situs address) and Hidden Pines Dr. runs along the west side of the LUECKE cutout - the GIS viewer lands the plots right around there too.

Yeah.. I misspelled Luecke, never mind the end of my last post.

One would think that with 3100' tall letters that wouldn't be a problem.

Archived