Sign in to follow this  
august948

old hanger building on UH campus

Last week we went for an official tour of the UH campus for my son who is looking at various colleges. On the tour we passed by a old metal building that now houses the school of engineering's labs but the tour guide described as a old hanger and maybe the oldest building on the UH campus. Anyone know what airfield used to be there?

Here's a picture from the UH website.

y_01.jpg

Edited by august948

The building was constructed at some point between 1953 and 1978 according to Google Earth historical aerials. And at least as far back as 1943, there was not an airfield on the site. It was mostly just trees.

It is a cool building, though.

Edited by TheNiche

It is the "Y building" I think it dates on campus from about 1949.

I never understood it to be an "aiplane" hangar at UH. I imagine it was a surplus WW2 army structure that was repurposed and moved there.

When I was at UH in the early the 90s, it housed a wind tunnel, engineering student organization offices, a machine shop etc.

I believe there are plans to replace it with another building.

Edited by gnu

It would be absolutely phenomenal if they renovated that structure like they did to the Keeland Building, just outside the College of Architecture.

The building was constructed at some point between 1953 and 1978 according to Google Earth historical aerials. And at least as far back as 1943, there was not an airfield on the site. It was mostly just trees.

It is a cool building, though.

I poked around on both Google Earth and Historic Aerials and found that there were two buildings with the same shape and roof structure as the currently existing building in 1953. The one in the picture above runs east-west. The second one ran roughly north-south and stood where there is now a parking lot to the east of the school of architecture. Judging from the 1953 picture these must have been major buildings on campus at the time, just from their size. I wonder, though, if they were not in fact on campus in 1953 and were set up for some industrial or warehouse purpose and then later acquired by UH as it expanded.

I've always heard that a number of "temporary" buildings were hurriedly installed on the UH campus in the late 1940's-early 1950's to accommodate the huge increase of students who were attending college on the GI Bill. Some of the buildings were barracks-like wooden shacks that stayed in use for decades -- I remember attending art classes in one of them. Another one behind the Art Shack was used as a coffee shop.

Two big issues for the country after WWII were jobs and housing for vets. Compounding the housing problem was a shortage of building materials, especially wood, for construction projects. Several hundred vets and their families were housed on the UH campus in trailers. They did this also at A&M. Possibly the shortage of materials was part of the reason for the re-purposing of the other buildings. Wasn't UH pretty much always underfunded, too?

It's funny to see this as I was just giving my girlfriend a tour of campus today and we were wondering about this very question. I always had the impression that is was moved to campus after the war (and after looking at aerial photos from the 1930s I think it's safe to say that there was never an airfield there).