East End Restaurant And Bar Scene - More Coming

Having grown up in East Houston I've always been accustomed to saying that the best Mexican restaurants are on the East side, primarily since the population is more Hispanic that side of the city. Problem is I don't really know if the ones I frequent are the best. Anyone have any nominations? One interesting restaurant, whose name I can't recall at the moment, is a Mexican seafood restauraunt that's run by Chinese! It's menu is an experiment in what some, I guess, nowdays call fusion. Instead of Spanish rice, you can have your meal with fried rice. Anyway, you wouldn't think that Chinese could run a sucessful Mexican seafood restaurant in a Hispanic neighborhood but they do. I love eating at this restaurant just because it's atmosphere is an atypical blend of two ethnicities.

ninfa's original location most likely influences the thought that the best mexican food is on the east side. i've heard of a taco stand off of navigation that is good, but i can't vouch for that. try a few taquerias. it's an adventure, and there is usually something good on the menu. i usually ask the wait staff if they have a specialty. most of the time ( and this works in most ethnic restaurants i'm not familiar with the menu) i am pleasantly surprised.

Having grown up in East Houston I've always been accustomed to saying that the best Mexican restaurants are on the East side, primarily since the population is more Hispanic that side of the city.  Problem is I don't really know if the ones I frequent are the best.      Anyone have any nominations?  One interesting restaurant, whose name I can't recall at the moment, is a Mexican seafood restauraunt that's run by Chinese!  It's menu is an experiment in what some, I guess,  nowdays call fusion.  Instead of Spanish rice, you can have your meal with fried rice.  Anyway, you wouldn't think that Chinese could run a sucessful Mexican seafood restaurant in a Hispanic neighborhood but they do.  I love eating at this restaurant just because it's atmosphere is an atypical blend of two ethnicities.

There is a place off of airline just west of i-45 called tampico seafood that serves some excellent mexican seafood with fried rice. The tamarind margaritas are great as well.

http://houston.citysearch.com/profile/9848...a_mexicana.html

One of my favorite places (outside of Ninfa's) is a small resturant called "El Jardin" on Harrisburg before it turns into Broadway. 2112 and I argue about HIS fav. which is just across the street. I'm sure he can elaborate on his own. :)

Ricco

What to avoide: El Jardin.

Man, what a giant dissapointment. We frequent a small indoor taqueria right across Harrisburg from el Jardin. And we finally said "Lets try that place instead". It had great atmosphere, very traditional looks, etc. The food sucked. I guess if you like things bland, then the place is ok.

I agree with Ricco about Ninfa's on Navigation: Simply Awesome. (How's THAT for damage control and ass-suck).

This is more southeast Houston rather than east. But let me tell you about my own neck of the woods: Edgebrook. within the 1/4 mile stretch from Gulf Freeway to Theta Street, are:

1. Taqueria Taconmadre - the taco truck, right side 24-hrs

2. Taqueria Taconmadre - the sit-down restaurant version, left side, 24hrs.

3. Taqueria Aguascalientes

4. Caserez Mexican Restaurant

5. Taqueria La Jalisiense

6. The Taco truck on the left side, next to the church, Thur. - Sat.

7. The Taco truck on the right side, next to the transmission shop

8. Taqueria Arandas, northbound feeder at Edgebrook

Having grown up in East Houston I've always been accustomed to saying that the best Mexican restaurants are on the East side, primarily since the population is more Hispanic that side of the city.  Problem is I don't really know if the ones I frequent are the best.      Anyone have any nominations?  One interesting restaurant, whose name I can't recall at the moment, is a Mexican seafood restauraunt that's run by Chinese!  It's menu is an experiment in what some, I guess,  nowdays call fusion.  Instead of Spanish rice, you can have your meal with fried rice.  Anyway, you wouldn't think that Chinese could run a sucessful Mexican seafood restaurant in a Hispanic neighborhood but they do.  I love eating at this restaurant just because it's atmosphere is an atypical blend of two ethnicities.

You're talking about Connie's. It's not messican at all. Just fried fish.

I agree with Ricco about Ninfa's on Navigation:  Simply Awesome.  (How's THAT for damage control and ass-suck).

This is more southeast Houston rather than east.  But let me tell you about my own neck of the woods: Edgebrook.  within the 1/4 mile stretch from Gulf Freeway to Theta Street, are:

1. Taqueria Taconmadre - the taco truck, right side 24-hrs

2. Taqueria Taconmadre - the sit-down restaurant version, left side, 24hrs.

3. Taqueria Aguascalienes

4. Caserez Mexican Restaurant

5. Taqueria La Jalisiense

6. The Taco truck on the left side, next to the church, Thur. - Sat.

7. The Taco truck on the right side, next to the transmission shop

8. Taqueria Arandas, northbound feeder at Edgebrook

How is Taconmadre? I drive past it all the time on the way to my grandma's (she's lived in the same neighborhood since the house was built) I've driven past Taconmadre for a while and it's visually appealing, just wondering if the food is as colorful as the building?

You know, there's only two restaurants on Edgebrook there that have been there since I was a kid: the Baskin-Robbins and the Burger Mart (which my mom and dad used to eat at when they were kids).

Man, Taconmadre Barbacoa taquitos are to die for.  So is the "trompo" and "al pastor".  Not too crazy about thier fajita tacos, but some people I know swear by them.  For fajitas, I go to Harrisburg.  Taconmadre is closed for several days, they say, to update some things.

Burger Mart is still there...and the guy who owns/runs it hasnt bothered to update anything since the 1950's.  Also, have you ever been there?  The "guy" seems like he is always angry:  try ordering something and you will instantly get a dismissive stare, followed by the bark:  "...WHAT.  WHA-DOO-YOU-NEED?..." I once asked for some hot sauce, and recieved "NO HOT SAUCE"  Five minutes later as I am starting on my "burger", I hear a "clank" on the pickup counter, see a hand snapping its fingers, and I proceed to walk to the counter to pick up my damn hot sauce.

I call him, "The Burger Nazi".

I haven't eaten at Burger Mart in probably 20 years...I liked it when I was a kid cause they had the playground outside next to the ditch (well before I remember seeing any McDonald's Playlands).

Actually for any hamburger outside of Whataburger, I stick to C&D on Fuqua...but it's a long drive for me now. There's an old hamburger place on Scott Street near Yellowstone that I need to try. My wife says they used to be great, but hasn't eaten there in decades either.

I'll definitely have to try the Taconmadre. I love barbacoa and tacos al pastor. What is "trompo"?

I haven't eaten at Burger Mart in probably 20 years...I liked it when I was a kid cause they had the playground outside next to the ditch (well before I remember seeing any McDonald's Playlands). 

Actually for any hamburger outside of Whataburger, I stick to C&D on Fuqua...but it's a long drive for me now.  There's an old hamburger place on Scott Street near Yellowstone that I need to try.  My wife says they used to be great, but hasn't eaten there in decades either.

I'll definitely have to try the Taconmadre.  I love barbacoa and tacos al pastor.  What is "trompo"?

Not sure but I've had their fajita tacos. They are the best I've ever had,.

Not sure but I've had their fajita tacos. They are the best I've ever had,.

Did you go to the truck or the sit-down restaurant? Just curious. The food between the 2 seems to be identical and consistent. Of course the sit down version can offer plates and other dinners that the taco truck doesn

I second Caserez. Yum!

Also Del Sol on the Broadway/Parkplace circle is yummy and cheap. My boyfriend is a new fan of the "green bus" a taqueria out of a green bus on Belfort just east of 45. It may have a real name, but he calls it the green bus. I haven't tried it yet.

I second Caserez. Yum!

Also Del Sol on the Broadway/Parkplace circle is yummy and cheap. My boyfriend is a new fan of the "green bus" a taqueria out of a green bus on Belfort just east of 45. It may have a real name, but he calls it the green bus. I haven't tried it yet.

The green bus is non other than another Taconmadre, like the Taconmadre "green bus" on Edgebrook. It's the same people, and presumably, the same food.

See? Didn't I say 2112 and I had our differences? :)

I'm mostly partial to the Taco trucks/busses/campers that you see around town.

But I can't exactly refer to out of towners to something that looks like they MIGHT pass inspection, on a GOOD day, if we were in a 3rd world nation. :)

Ricco

Did you go to the truck or the sit-down restaurant?  Just curious.  The food between the 2 seems to be identical and consistent.  Of course the sit down version can offer plates and other dinners that the taco truck doesn

• 1 month later...
Burger Mart is still there...and the guy who owns/runs it hasnt bothered to update anything since the 1950's.  Also, have you ever been there?  The "guy" seems like he is always angry:  try ordering something and you will instantly get a dismissive stare, followed by the bark:  "...WHAT.  WHA-DOO-YOU-NEED?..." I once asked for some hot sauce, and recieved "NO HOT SAUCE"  Five minutes later as I am starting on my "burger", I hear a "clank" on the pickup counter, see a hand snapping its fingers, and I proceed to walk to the counter to pick up my damn hot sauce.

I call him, "The Burger Nazi".

this can't be the original owner. I thought Mr. Moore sold it years ago. i went to school with their daughter.

The only restaurant that stands out in my mind is the Monterey House (I haven't been in that area since 1964). It was located on Telephone Road where it intersects with Reveille. I remember a driving range was next to it. If we were seated next to the window in the restaurant, I remember seeing people outside hitting golf balls.

Across the street, I remember there was a supermarket called Henke & Pillot (now called Kroger). Someone on this forum told me that the restaurant is now called Monterey Tex-Mex and that a Kroger is now across the street from where Henke & Pillot was. Nobody has said anything about whether or not that driving range is still there.

Chet Cuccia

The only restaurant that stands out in my mind is the Monterey House (I haven't been in that area since 1964).  It was located on Telephone Road where it intersects with Reveille.  I remember a driving range was next to it.  If we were seated next to the window in the restaurant, I remember seeing people outside hitting golf balls.

Across the street, I remember there was a supermarket called Henke & Pillot (now called Kroger).  Someone on this forum told me that the restaurant is now called Monterey Tex-Mex and that a Kroger is now across the street from where Henke & Pillot was.  Nobody has said anything about whether or not that driving range is still there.

Chet Cuccia

I think you're talking across Bellfort from the Monterrey House. There was a private country club there for years and there was also some kind of horse kennel/boarding. After Sims was widened, the country club is gone. I did drive by there and saw remnants of the road that headed to the country club. so i'm pretty sure it's gone.

I think you're talking across Bellfort from the Monterrey House.  There was a private country club there for years and there was also some kind of horse kennel/boarding.  After Sims was widened, the country club is gone.  I did drive by there and saw remnants of the road that headed to the country club.  so i'm pretty sure it's gone.

Thanks. I remember a show that used to come on TV called "Chico and the Man." In one episode, Chico said that there was a new restaurant in town that served both Mexican and Soul food. He said that the name of it was. "CASA YO' MAMA."

Chet Cuccia