Houston's Little India

Sunstar

wow, i had my first taste of indian food at raja sweets. i was with a photographer friend after a shoot and she suggested the place. thank goodness we have sitar in the woodlands or i'd have to drive all the way to hillcroft for curry chicken.

now, if i could just get my employer to allow me to wear a churidar kurta during the summer........hmmmmm. ;)

Unfortunately Little India is also host to one of the worst traffic bottlenecks in the city. The stretch of Hillcroft between Westpark and 59 is to be avoided at all costs if you are in a hurry to get anywhere.

Hillcroft is probably my favorite street to eat on in Houston.

I've been eating at Bombay Sweets for well over 10 years...in fact, I don't believe it was a buffet when we first started eating there. I still stop in for the buffet at least once a month for a quick and cheap Indian fix (around $5.00).

One of my favorites on Hillcroft is Sri Balaji Bhavan, in the same parking lot as Raja Sweets, I believe (or maybe across the street?) It's vegetarian, as is Bombay Sweets. Great masala dosas and other goodies there. They were a hole in the wall 10 years ago, but obviously business has been good...they've expanded and upgraded the restaurant.

I ate at the Busy Boy sandwiches a few months ago as well, but wasn't impressed. Stick to the mom & pop Indian places.

Further up the street, between Westpark and Richmond, is Ashoka, which has more upscale dining and excellent food. A bit pricy, though.

Other good places on Hillcroft are the gigantic Droubi's and Abdallah's. Droubi's is Lebanese, and I think Abdallah's is as well.

Between 59 and Westheimer there are also a few other countries represented. Colombia, Iran, Italy (Antonio's Flying Pizza), are some of the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Also, the traffic on Hillcroft isn't nearly as bad as it used to be. It seems like the Westpark/Westpark Tollway improvements helped the traffic somehow.

My stepfather is middle eastern and he lived at Droubi's LOL! especially for the pita bread and feta cheese. We'd stop in the middle eastern places for the Basmati rice (which I think when popped in a rice cooker smells like popcorn).

Also a couple resturants he stops in to eat at. Some of them aren't bad either.

site note to fixin' streets I just wish they'd Fix Harwins one way streets! I hate going down that street to shop because getting OUT of the parking lot OR going out on the opposite direction is well...you know...

There is a tiny little restaurant called "Standard Sweets" on 5696 Hillcroft. It was a staple during my days at Rice. They had a veggie buffet (all you can eat) for $2.99. If you wanted to splurge and get meat, it was $3.99.

It's not the best atmosphere, or frankly the most awesome food, but it's significant bang for the buck.

i've never heard this area referred to as "little india"

we just call it "hillcroft," any indian in houston would know what you're talking about.

raja's is great. i always hear ads for standard sweets on the indian radio station, but i've never been there. i stick to my parent's home cooking- closer, better, and free!

i've never heard this area referred to as "little india"

we just call it "hillcroft," any indian in houston would know what you're talking about.

raja's is great. i always hear ads for standard sweets on the indian radio station, but i've never been there. i stick to my parent's home cooking- closer, better, and free!

And my guess is that nobody really refers to it as such, much like nobody refers to the concentration of Vietnamese businesses in Midtown as "Little Saigon." IMO, attempts to pin these labels on certain areas because they have a large concentration of a certain ethnic group seems more like a contrived marketing gimmick. That being said, I think that the development of these little nuclei are important in the overall evolution of the city, more so than just being a place to get good ethnic food. They provide a sense of community and make Houston a more attractive International destination.

Let's hope we get the Indian Airlines!!!

Dallas is fighting us tooth and nail for it!  -I can't stress it enough LOL!

It appears Dallas has been more agressive so far in courting Air India. Houston is the logical choice in terms of demographics plus we have the Indian Consulate. Pakistan International already flies here. But I fear Dallas will land them given how eager they seem to be.

Check this out..

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/stories/.../30/story7.html

"Houston airport officials estimate that landing the Air India deal would bring at least $200 million in economic benefits to the Houston area. Houston is home to at least 120,000 residents of Indian descent.

Dallas airport officials claim the India deal would have a $400 million impact on North Texas. According to the 2000 Census, 49,669 Indians lived in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, but local Indian advocacy groups now say that number has risen to at least 80,000."

More Houston-Dallas flame throwing. Even Indian ex-pats are getting in on the act. Can't we all just get along?

BTW, if Dallas has have the number of Indians, how come it will have double the economic impact? Is it because Dallas Indians are perceived as classier, and Houston Indians are more working class? ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Wow. I didn't know either. I've been in Houston all my life for 26 years, and didn't know we had an India town, like Chinatown.

You be amazed what Houston have.

Hey, do we have a Mexican town? A town like India, and China.

Yes and No. Parts of North Houston inside and outside the loop. Most if not all of Denver Harbor. Parts of Southwest Houston(mostly central & South American). I'm sure there are other parts of town. Nothing definite, just parts scattered through out the city.

Yeah, I did'nt know until my girlfriend came over from the UK a couple years ago. She's British of Pakistani descent and we were looking for some Southern asian food and culture and stumbled upon this area. It's pretty run down and small by UK(Manchester) standards, but it has loads of potential to be a nice cultural hub.

• 2 months later...
wow, i had my first taste of indian food at raja sweets.  i was with a photographer friend after a shoot and she suggested the place.  thank goodness we have sitar in the woodlands or i'd have to drive all the way to hillcroft for curry chicken.

now, if i could just get my employer to allow me to wear a churidar kurta during the summer........hmmmmm. ;)

has been spicy, hasn't? :)

Archived