We made the top 10!

I thought we fared rather well. The one unhealthy day during 2009 was only 0.3% of days. It helps that our prevailing winds blow all the crud away from the city. And as for the number of tons of toxins emitted...those aren't our toxins, those are a nation's toxins (settling over Louisiana, naturally).

I thought we fared rather well. The one unhealthy day during 2009 was only 0.3% of days. It helps that our prevailing winds blow all the crud away from the city. And as for the number of tons of toxins emitted...those aren't our toxins, those are a nation's toxins (settling over Louisiana, naturally).

The question remains, what is heathy? The recognition that there is even such a thing as air pollution is recent, and hard won.

There's a strong economic reason for polluters to deny any effect on the environment - which includes human health. The assumption that we deserve to breathe unpolluted air - and to determine what defines pollution - is not as well funded.

Umm... Who cares?? Minus chicago all the other biggest cities are in it...it just happens when you are as large as houston right ? :P

The three reasons Chicago is not on the list:

1. Proximity to Canada and the Great Lakes, both massive suppliers of fresh air.
  2. The EPA isn't hard core on particulate matter yet. Once it is, Chicago will seem more polluted, because today much of the air pollution it has is dust from farms in neighboring states (sometimes in the form of "snert").
  3. Chicago is largely a post-industrial economy. The city pushed factories and other dirty industries out into the suburbs. Then those jobs went to China. Now the suburbs are full of empty steel mills, and the city is turning old brownfields into massive residential/park complexes as fast as it can.

What I'm saying is that the only reason that Chicago isn't on the list is dumb luck x3. When the wind comes in from the southwest across the remaining suburban factories, a layer of yellow filthy air covers the city. When I lived there, I happened to live in an apartment higher than the filth layer. Once, I took a picture and posted it on HAIF's sister site, the Chicago Architecture Blog illustrating it:

a3.png

Archived