motorcycle written test

I recently got a scooter, it still needs a bit of work to get it on the road, but once it is read for the road, I need a few things.

insurance, inspection, registration (license plates), and a scooter (moped) endorsement on my license.

the difference between a full on motorcycle endorsed license and moped endorsement is for moped you only need to take the written portion of the exam.

I've just downloaded the Texas motorcycle operator handbook, I assume I should study the whole thing and be prepared for questions to come from anywhere, but has anyone else taken the motorcycle written test? How is it? Am I wasting my time studying?

my other question, I am assuming they will be able to answer when I take the exam, but if I later want to get the full motorcycle endorsement, will I need to retake the written exam, or just provide that I have done the motorcycle safety course, or do the road portion of the exam?

My thinking is, if I will have to go back and do the written exam, I may as well just do the motorcycle safety class and then take the exam once and get full motorcycle endorsement, cause who knows? I may want to move up to a real bike someday.

Awesome Cycles is a great place to go, whether you have ridden for a while or are new to it. They teach you to ride on anything from scooters to sport bikes (albeit on small cc bikes). I took the weekend, two day course, and if you pass their class you can take that information to the DPS office and just take the written. If you want to move beyond scooters, then you will already have your Class M on your license.

To get the motorcycle endorsement now, you have to take the 2 day safety course (mine was really 1 1/2 days as we finished by 11 am on Sunday). You get a certificate that certifies you completed the course and this certificate takes the place of the drivers portion of DPS certification. You still have to take the written test at the DPS office. I don't remember how many questions but by the time you take the course and if you read the book once it will be pretty common sense. Seems like there were a couple of questions that could have tricked you but you could miss several and still pass so they didn't matter.

If you have never had a bike then the course might be good practice as it is a smaller motorcycle. Once you ride that for 2 days then the scooter would be easy. If you have been riding then I'd just go take the test at DPS and take the course whenver you decide to move up to the bigger bike.

I'd do for the full motorcycle license. Once you start riding you may progress to something bigger. Heck by this time next year you could be riding with the Hells Angels or Banditos. Wish I could offer some insight into the test but I got mine around 1970 and I'm sure a lot has changed since then. The good thing is it's a one time thing that you can keep for life.

I've not taken the test in ions, but office mate said the DPS written was only like 15 questions, multiple choice, with some a answers designed to foul you up. One that cam to mind went something like 'The leading cause of motorcycle fatalities is: a. Not wearing a helmet?, b. Having an automobile related wreck?, c. Head injuries? I think the correct answer was c, but you can understand how they are being sneakey. :ph34r:

• 4 weeks later...

update, if anyone is interested.

spoke with someone at the DPS who was up to speed on motorcycle/moped licenses...

whether you are going for moped or motorcycle license, you have to take the MSF course, and the written exam. so basically, the only way you get a "K" restriction (mopeds only) is if you are 15-17 years old, otherwise you are fully motorcycle licensed.

I did not ask whether a person between 15 and 17 that wants to remove the "K" restriction has to retake the MSF and exam, or if the "K" restriction is just removed once they turn 18 or not, since it doesn't affect me.

Archived