The Sanctuary Lofts At 4411 Dallas St.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Boy Scout Troop 4 met here on Tuesday evenings in the early/mid 1960s, down in the basement area. There were a number of small rooms, and with no window lighting, it was rather gloomy at the best of times. The church had some other use planned, and moved the troop on (it became Troop 654, meeting at the Lutheran Church of the Redeemer on Lawndale).

• 3 weeks later...

I will miss this church! Not only is it a beautiful building but it has personal significance: my grandparents, John and Edith Grimmett, went here from the 1930's to the 1990's. I remember the church buying them a gently used Buick Century for their 50th wedding anniversary. How many churches do that these days?

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Don't quote me but my uncle (who still talks to people at the Redeemer) says that the Tellepsen family (who built the current church buildings in the 1950's) has donated enough to keep the church open and handle the major problems. Hopefully the diocese will decide to keep the building and help restore it for the 21st century. I'd like to hope more people attend services there if the church is reopened.

• 5 years later...

It's been a while! Husband and I have been living in the wastelands of New Caney for the past few years BUT my dad is pretty sick and is passing his home to me now. Once we fix the house up, we will move in and be back in the East End for good! <3

Anyway, I drove past the Church of the Redeemer several months ago and found a demolition crew out there. They were nice enough to let me look inside for a minute and snap a few pics. 

20170714_112606.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • The title was changed to The Sanctuary Lofts (formerly Christ The Redeemer Church)
  • 2 months later...