Home Video of JFK in Houston surfaces

Fringe

I don't think they actuaaly spent the night at the Rice, they simply had the room for the day and evening. I was under the impression that they went to Fort Worth that evening, spent the night and then on the Dallas later that afternoon (Nov 22). I'll look it up in that Robert Beschloss book toight when I get home, and then edit my post if I need to.

I don't think they actuaaly spent the night at the Rice, they simply had the room for the day and evening. I was under the impression that they went to Fort Worth that evening, spent the night and then on the Dallas later that afternoon (Nov 22). I'll look it up in that Robert Beschloss book toight when I get home, and then edit my post if I need to.

You're correct. They left Houston after dinner and spent the night of the 21st in Fort Worth.

You're correct. They left Houston after dinner and spent the night of the 21st in Fort Worth.

I got to tour of the Rice Hotel in the summer of 1992 while it must have been in its most dilapidated condition. The tour was given by the man who had been the watchman there for many years and, I guess, was so up until the time the renovations started later in that decade. He showed us (there were four other with me) the suite where Kennedy stayed while at the Rice. I believe it was on the fifth floor in the middle wing. If you look at the hotel from above (with the addition of the later wing) it looks like a capital 'E.' By middle wing I mean the middle arm of the E.

Between the main corridor and a small hallway in the suite there was a pair of louvered doors. Fire codes would not permit that today and I wonder why it was so even then as the hotel had been air conditioned well before 1963. Anyway our guide told us a few of the slats in the louver on one door were removed so that all the communication cables (phone and teletype I imagine) could be run from the suite to some other location in the hotel. This for a visit of less than a day! He also told us a special mattress, that traveled with the president, was brought in. Ostensibly that was for Mr. Kennedy to use while he took an afternoon nap since he did not spend the night there. ;) Our guide did not elaborate.

Archived