Pare De Sufrir: Church At 6074 Westpark Dr.

Dan the Man

What is being built near the intersection of Westpark & 59? There is some serious earth work being done. The site is at the northeast quadrant of the intersection, with a service station on the hard corner. The site has been vacant for years. Someone told me that it once housed a small amusement park that shut down after a murder in the 1970s. This was seen as the beginning of the surrounding area's decline.

I don't have high expectations for this site, given the state of the surrounding area, but I am curious nonetheless.

• Like 1

What is being built near the intersection of Westpark & 59? There is some serious earth work being done. The site is at the northeast quadrant of the intersection, with a service station on the hard corner. The site has been vacant for years. Someone told me that it once housed a small amusement park that shut down after a murder in the 1970s. This was seen as the beginning of the surrounding area's decline.

I don't have high expectations for this site, given the state of the surrounding area, but I am curious nonetheless.

The "small amusement park" was Malibu Grand Prix, which had an asphalt track and very nice mini-F1 cars. You had to have an actual driver's license to drive. Expensive, but lots of fun once in a while.

From Wikipedia:

"Houston, Texas once had two Malibu Grand Prix locations. The Southwest Freeway location was shuttered in the early 1990's (the original building stood until 2009). This location was the site of the (locally) infamous Malibu Grand Prix murders. The murders were committed on July 1, 1983, during the course of a robbery. Four employees who had just closed up and were in the process of conducting post-closing housekeeping duties were killed. A recently-terminated employee gained entry to the building under the pretext of picking up his last paycheck, and brought two accomplices with him. All were convicted (two received the death penalty, and one was sentenced to life imprisonment).[1]

The other location was off the Katy Freeway and the northwest corner of the West Loop 610 at Old Katy Road (the Old Katy location was the remaining Malibu Grand Prix location until it was boarded up in early-2005)."

The Old Katy location (I thought it was 290) had a big mini-golf course and arcade in addition to the track.

Other than an immigration center I can't understand anyone wanting to build there.

Wrong. They could build a WIC Store, a Autobuses Mexicanos bus depot (like the ones on harrisburg blvd), a 24-hour czech cashing place, a cricket cell phone store, or a 24-hour game room.

• 3 months later...

The architecture firm put up signs on the site yesterday. The project is a church, and Ziegler Cooper is the architect.

Link to Project

Ziegler Cooper does some outstanding and high profile religious architecture, the new Cathedral being one example. I wonder which church this structure is being built for.

Ziegler Cooper does some outstanding and high profile religious architecture, the new Cathedral being one example. I wonder which church this structure is being built for.

Not sure what you're asking. You did look at the link?

Pare de Sufrir

The Worship Place Studio of Ziegler Cooper Architects was recently hired to design a 46,000 square foot worship center with a stylistic design that is appealing from the busy southwest freeway as it crosses over Westpark just outside the 610 loop. The overall design image is modernist with a substantial glass entry and lobby that will provide a nice visual sign board for those passing by on the adjacent freeway. Strong lines and bold colors reflect not only the spirit of the design, but also attempt to reflect the spirit of the church.

The new church building will consist of a 1,100-seat main worship center, with a smaller 200-seat chapel and teaching room. Support areas include administrative staff offices, children´s classroom spaces, and an 11-bedroom apartment complex for ministers and ministers in training. A dormitory accommodating twenty is also included to house young men in training and under mentorship of established pastors. A unique design feature of the complex is the in-house television studio which will allow the opportunity for the church to be broadcast in the Houston Area.

• The title was changed to Pare De Sufrir: Church At 6074 Westpark Dr.