Parkland Hospital

wernicke

New Parkland hospital construction is underway... $1.3 billion county hospital right on the light rail. Makes Ben Taub and LBJ look pretty shabby.

http://www.buildingparkland.com/

The nearly 2 million-square-foot Parkland hospital will replace the existing 55-year-old facility, and, when complete, will be the largest public hospital building in the nation built in one phase. The $1.27 billion project will include a new, 862-bed hospital, as well as a separate clinic building, parking structures and other support facilities.

Parkland_Aerial-LG.jpg

dart-rail-view-LG.jpg

Parkland_Roadway-LG.jpg

80% of Ben Taub's patients arrive through the emergency room. Not sure why light rail access would be important if one is arriving by ambulance, but there is a light rail stop a couple blocks away if that's important to you.

By the way, Ben Taub is one of the premier trauma centers in the US. It is not shabby by any standard. But, thanks for the attempted dig.

Calm down buddy... I've worked at LBJ, rotated at Ben Taub, and currently work at Parkland. This new hospital undoubtedly makes Ben Taub and LBJ look shabby, its just a simple fact. It makes the current Parkland look shabby. Both Ben Taub and Parkland are awesome training grounds.

Calm down buddy... I've worked at LBJ, rotated at Ben Taub, and currently work at Parkland. This new hospital undoubtedly makes Ben Taub and LBJ look shabby, its just a simple fact. It makes the current Parkland look shabby. Both Ben Taub and Parkland are awesome training grounds.

Will the New Parkland have a McDonald's? The old one did for a while. Let's get that cholesterol UP, People!

Will the New Parkland have a McDonald's? The old one did for a while. Let's get that cholesterol UP, People!

Supposedly it was the busiest McDonald's in the US or in the world or something. At least that's what they told me when I interviewed there (although it had just closed and was replaced with some healthier option). It was probably their second proudest achievement, besides the fact that they had 3 or 4 Nobel laureates. I think they repeated this about 15 times over the course of the day.

• 1 year later...

McDonald's has been replaced by Urban Taco... which supposedly has healthier options, but also serves burgers, fries, soda, refried beans, etc.

That's okay, because we still have McDonald's inside of Texas Children's Hospital here in Houston. I was told a similar story about TCH's McDonald's being the busiest one on the planet, or some such ranking. I guess it just depends on who you are talking to at the time, or how impressive they want to make themselves sound.

The attached images do make for a good looking building. Not too shabby!

• The title was changed to Parkland Hospital

Archived