Bayou Place: Entertainment Development At 500 Texas St.

houstonsemipro

Bayou Place: Phase II - Developer Daivd Cordish has decided to put 50,000 square feet of Class A office space atop a paking garage of the same size in the remaining vacant portion of the old Albert Thomas Convention Center, which has undergone transformation into Bayou Place. In addition, Cordish will provide tenants with another 200 spaces in the nearby underground garage. Located in the heart of the Theater District, Bayou Place II also has access to the underground tunnel system that holds a myriad of restaurants and retail shops beneath downtown Houston. Cordish mention, " I'd be very surprised if Phase II doesn't lead to something else. I'm very high on Houston."

Renovation work at Bayou Place II will begin within 45 days, and complete in 2006.

• Like 1

Bayou Place: Phase II - Developer Daivd Cordish has decided to put 50,000 square feet of Class A office space atop a paking garage of the same size in the remaining vacant portion of the old Albert Thomas Convention Center, which has undergone transformation into Bayou Place. In addition, Cordish will provide tenants with another 200 spaces in the nearby underground garage. Located in the heart of the Theater District, Bayou Place II also has access to the underground tunnel system that holds a myriad of restaurants and retail shops beneath downtown Houston. Cordish mention, " I'd be very surprised if Phase II doesn't lead to something else. I'm very high on Houston."

Renovation work at Bayou Place II will begin within 45 days, and complete in 2006.

SWEET!!!!! Yo, any renderings on the project available?

Sounds great.....about damn time :D . A bit skeptical <_< All we can do now is wait......44 more days to go. Where did you get this info from? Do you know when in 2006 it's suppose to be complete??

Finally getting rid of that eyesore! I think Cordish was going to lose the option if they didn't come up with something to do with it pretty quickly.

There is a rendering in the print edition of the Houston Business Journal. Nothing spectacular. The walls on the second floor will get windows.

It's that downtown isn't strong, he just has to do something to keep his option. Cordish development always have problems.

This result doesn't say much about downtown but more about the developer.

I have to say I am disappointed. I would think further entertainment options would be a natural fit for the second phase. The Aquarium restaurant is right there. I do think something is better than nothing and it is an eyesore currently.

Putting in office space seems like the easiest thing to do.

I have to say I am disappointed.  I would think further entertainment options would be a natural fit for the second phase.  The Aquarium restaurant is right there. I do think something is better than nothing and it is an eyesore currently.

I agree on having more entertainment based stuff there and it's better than nothing. Maybe after it gets cleaned up and foot traffic picks up and downtown livens up(in a few years) Something more entertainment oriented can sneak it's way in.

I have to say I am disappointed.  I would think further entertainment options would be a natural fit for the second phase.  The Aquarium restaurant is right there. I do think something is better than nothing and it is an eyesore currently.

I wonder why they couldn't develop an entertainment enpansion that directly worked with the Buffalo Bayou Redevelopment Project

Maybe because Bayou Place I is dying. Haven't 2 bars closed there in the last year? If you have empty space in the first section, it does not bode well for filling up the second one.

Of course, the location in the Theatre District always suggested to me that 'older' entertainment would be better suited there, such as quieter bars and restaurants.

Hey, I'm 45 and I still wouldn't be over there. I'm going where the attractive women are.

My point was that with the theatre district right there surrounding Bayou Place, it would seem that venues that compliment the theatre would have worked better there.

I am not advocating restricting the type of venue. I just thought that some of these restaurant and bar types would have recognized that and adapted the venues to the type of crowd that frequents that area.

• 2 months later...

Too bad they didn't tear down Phase II long ago when everyone indeed agreed it was a hideous structure. It would be nice to reclaim some more of the banks of the bayou. Just because something is there doesn't justify rehabilitation. Sometimes demolition is the more attractive long-term alternative. A little more green space in this city wouldn't kill any of us.

B)