East Downtown, Warehouse, Dynamo District Development

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I agree that the name EaDo isn't the greatest name, it also isn't that bad. I think we should try to just accept this as the name and move on as I don't see it changing again anytime soon. Not to ruffle any feathers, but it's really frustrating to enter newly commented EaDo/East End topics, only to see someone simply complaining about the name. The "EaDo Promenade" moniker is probably just a work in progress name since this project is still in the earliest of stages of pre-development and well if it isn't, then so what. I'm sure the promenade will be great whatever the name will be!

While I agree that the name EaDo isn't the greatest name, it also isn't that bad.

However bad it is, it is precisely that bad.

I think we should try to just accept this as the name and move on as I don't see it changing again anytime soon. Not to ruffle any feathers, but it's really frustrating to enter newly commented EaDo/East End topics, only to see someone simply complaining about the name. The "EaDo Promenade" moniker is probably just a work in progress name since this project is still in the earliest of stages of pre-development and well if it isn't, then so what. I'm sure the promenade will be great whatever the name will be!

I'm hoping that the naming rights get sold to a corporation. Or to Charlie Sheen.

Is it ee-dew or ee-doh? Either way it's dumb. Should have gone with "Dis-orient" instead, short for district orient. It pays homage to both cardinal direction (east) and the asian history of the area. And also hints that there are bars where people get wasted.

These 'SoDo' and 'EaDo' names seem to be a feeble attempt to imitate the names of NYC neighborhoods.

IMO, these names started organically - realtors who were charged by the letter for newspaper advertisements used abbreviations 'wd brng frplc' for wood burning fireplace, or 'rvr vw' for river view. Therefore, Soho (South of Houston) or TriBeCa (Triangle Below Canal).

Houston has historically had the opposite approach. Subdivisions have absurd references to hills or glens or non-exisistant trees. "The Hills of Shadow Glen Pines" is a good name for a subdivision on a flat, treeless, sun-baked prairie.

Therefore, I think "Windsor Castle on the Whispering Sea" would be an appropriate name for the area east of downtown.

These 'SoDo' and 'EaDo' names seem to be a feeble attempt to imitate the names of NYC neighborhoods.

IMO, these names started organically - realtors who were charged by the letter for newspaper advertisements used abbreviations 'wd brng frplc' for wood burning fireplace, or 'rvr vw' for river view. Therefore, Soho (South of Houston) or TriBeCa (Triangle Below Canal).

Houston has historically had the opposite approach. Subdivisions have absurd references to hills or glens or non-exisistant trees. "The Hills of Shadow Glen Pines" is a good name for a subdivision on a flat, treeless, sun-baked prairie.

Therefore, I think "Windsor Castle on the Whispering Sea" would be an appropriate name for the area east of downtown.

lol.

Speaking of absurd references... how about we call it something with "woodlands" in it?

lol.

Speaking of absurd references... how about we call it something with "woodlands" in it?

seeing as the heights now is bounded by 610, 45 and washington, they should capitalize on the spread of the heights, and this area is directly between the Heights and Eastwood...

Manhattan Eastwood Heights

Manhattan indicates that it is still part of downtown, just like they want!

as a bonus feature to that name, it has a catchy acronym too!! M.E.H.!!!

There's a push in my neighborhood to change the name from Broadmoor to Broadmoor Heights, and if there isn't a push, there should be.

There's a push in my neighborhood to change the name from Broadmoor to Broadmoor Heights, and if there isn't a push, there should be.

Speaking of Broadmoor, does anyone know what happened to the old wooden "Broadmoor" neighborhood sign that used to be on the little triangular esplanade on Dumble Street? It's been gone for several weeks now.

Yes, it was faded and didn't stand up straight, but the Eastwood Civic Association board has been discussing restoring (or if necessary, replacing it) and it should not have been removed without contacting the ECA or Councilman Rodriguez's office.

Actually, neither SoHo nor TriBeCa were any more "organic" other than that they referenced something on a map. They were catchy names thought up by people wanting to promote the particular neighborhood. In that sense, The Woodlands, River Oaks, the Heights, Montrose, and even EaDo are every bit as organic.

More than that, the 'SoDo' constructions are the universally understood shorthand to indicate 'this is a neighborhood with young urban hipsters and some artistes.' This is why cities eager to promote themselves among 'the creative class', and insecure people as well, are so keen to latch on to names like that. They think it confers hipness without having to work for it.

Me, I'd prefer something more authentic, like Olde Houston Towne Centre.

seeing as the heights now is bounded by 610, 45 and washington, they should capitalize on the spread of the heights, and this area is directly between the Heights and Eastwood...

Manhattan Eastwood Heights

Manhattan indicates that it is still part of downtown, just like they want!

as a bonus feature to that name, it has a catchy acronym too!! M.E.H.!!!

Just wait...sooner or later there'll be Katy Heights and Sugar Land Heights.

More than that, the 'SoDo' constructions are the universally understood shorthand to indicate 'this is a neighborhood with young urban hipsters and some artistes.' This is why cities eager to promote themselves among 'the creative class', and insecure people as well, are so keen to latch on to names like that. They think it confers hipness without having to work for it.

Me, I'd prefer something more authentic, like Olde Houston Towne Centre.

I vote that we move directly to corporate sponsorship and use it to close the cities' budget deficit. Halliburton Heights sounds appropriately profitable.

I vote that we move directly to corporate sponsorship and use it to close the cities' budget deficit. Halliburton Heights sounds appropriately profitable.

while it sounds like a great idea on the surface, you would imagine the corporate sponsor would want to name the neighborhood they are tied to, rather than Halliburton Heights, that would be the new name for Alief though, I bet.

I think the only really big corporation that has a presence around the heights is Walmart. Walmart Heights sounds like a really fun name.

Thinking about the East End, I presume EastWood would change names to "Leeland Baking Co Wood" and EaDo would change their name to "Oak Farms Do"

a presence around the heights is Walmart. Walmart Heights sounds like a really fun name.

Thinking about the East End, I presume EastWood would change names to "Leeland Baking Co Wood" and EaDo would change their name to "Oak Farms Do"

You have a point about the the dairy. Why not name a neighborhood for the industry that anchors it? I routinely tell people that if they can see the coffee plant in the skyline, imagine walking 8 blocks east, and there's my house.

What do we make right here in the near east end? Coffee, milk and bread. Hmmmm. Plus lots of chickens in the hood... Breakfast Heights? Morning something.....I've got it: Sunrise Heights !

Actually, neither SoHo nor TriBeCa were any more "organic" other than that they referenced something on a map. They were catchy names thought up by people wanting to promote the particular neighborhood. In that sense, The Woodlands, River Oaks, the Heights, Montrose, and even EaDo are every bit as organic.

Not sure I understand what you're saying. There was a Canal Street in Manhattan, prior to the area (the triangle) to the south of it was called TriBeCa. Houston (pronounced HOW-stun) Street preexisted the SoHo designation (although... the reference to the London neighborhood was surely a factor.) The Woodlands admittedly had woods, but had no prior designation that I know of. "The Piney Woods", yes; but that covers much of East Texas.

The Heights has some 'organic' basis; my understanding is that some of the land there was swampy, was filled in by dirt dredged from the Houston Ship Channel, and subsequently developed; therefore Houston Heights, as a more marketable name than "The Sometimes Flood-Prone New Subdivision".

But Montrose? That was pure developer fantasy, culled from a book by Sir Walter Scott. Be glad it wasn't named "The Legendary Oaks of Montrose".

Not sure I understand what you're saying. There was a Canal Street in Manhattan, prior to the area (the triangle) to the south of it was called TriBeCa. Houston (pronounced HOW-stun) Street preexisted the SoHo designation (although... the reference to the London neighborhood was surely a factor.) The Woodlands admittedly had woods, but had no prior designation that I know of. "The Piney Woods", yes; but that covers much of East Texas.

The Heights has some 'organic' basis; my understanding is that some of the land there was swampy, was filled in by dirt dredged from the Houston Ship Channel, and subsequently developed; therefore Houston Heights, as a more marketable name than "The Sometimes Flood-Prone New Subdivision".

But Montrose? That was pure developer fantasy, culled from a book by Sir Walter Scott. Be glad it wasn't named "The Legendary Oaks of Montrose".

Really?

I was under the impression that "The Heights" was named so because it was the highest point in the area. In fact, if I remember correctly, many people took refuge there during an epidemic on the belief that the elevation would prevent it. I want to say that the disease was Cholera, but I'm not sure.

Yes, there was a Canal Street, then a group looking to promote the area thought up the catchy name "Tribeca", copying the idea from the prior success of the catchy name thought up by a group wanting to promote the area south of the pre-existing Houston Street ("SoHO"). In exactly the same way that the developers of The Woodlands based the name on the pre-existing woodlands, the developers of the Heights based the name on the pre-existing elevation of the area, the developers of River Oaks based the name on the pre-existing river and oak trees. Regarding the source of the name for Montrose, so what? Do you really think Canal Street and Houston Street in Manhattan had those names when the Mayflower landed? Were those streets named in the Book of Genesis?

Archived