Houston Livestock Show And Rodeo Auxiliary Facilities On West Airport Blvd.

sevfiv

Once in a while I drive by the huge parking lot along Reed Rd. between Almeda and 288 - recently a gate was installed with the Houston Rodeo logo and "Dick Gray Park" (? iirc) above. My question is - does anyone know what the outlines are in the aerial image? Is this lot used for rodeo staging? Has it always been a rodeo lot?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=2030+Reed+Road,+Houston,+TX&aq=&sll=29.655304,-95.395757&sspn=0.007021,0.013733&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=2030+Reed+Rd,+Houston,+Harris,+Texas+77051&ll=29.654146,-95.395011&spn=0.001765,0.002411&t=h&z=19

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Once in a while I drive by the huge parking lot along Reed Rd. between Almeda and 288 - recently a gate was installed with the Houston Rodeo logo and "Dick Gray Park" (? iirc) above. My question is - does anyone know what the outlines are in the aerial image? Is this lot used for rodeo staging? Has it always been a rodeo lot?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=2030+Reed+Road,+Houston,+TX&aq=&sll=29.655304,-95.395757&sspn=0.007021,0.013733&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=2030+Reed+Rd,+Houston,+Harris,+Texas+77051&ll=29.654146,-95.395011&spn=0.001765,0.002411&t=h&z=19

The Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo owns that land, they bought it in parcels over time going back many years. The full lot borders Reed, Almeda, and West Airport roads. The contestants lot is there, where many of the rodeo cowboys park their rigs and have their horses, the Carnival employees live in a lot over there in their rigs and have their equipment ready. The paved portion of the lot is the large Reed Rd park and ride operated by HLSR, it's a great way to get to and from the rodeo because you bypass alot of the traffic. There's also a committee there called Breeders Greeters who stages livestock exhibitors before sending them over to the Reliant livestock gates. They have had alot of work done out there to make this a great area for the Shows use.

• The title was changed to Reed Rd. Parking Lot
  • 1 year later...

Located on W. Airport Blvd and Kirby Drive, I spotted a Notice of Variance Request for the Rodeo Auxiliary Facilities General Plan.

I went onto Google Satellite and noticed the Houston Rodeo owns all the land between Reed Road and West Airport Blvd.  They probably own 200+ acres right there? It's mainly used for overfill parking it looks like. 

Purpose of the Variance Request: Not to provide major thoroughfare or local street connections within the Rodeo Auxiliary Facilities General Plan boundary.

Proposed Land Use(s) for site: Parking

• The title was changed to Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo Auxiliary Facilities On West Airport Blvd.
  • The title was changed to Houston Livestock Show And Rodeo Auxiliary Facilities On West Airport Blvd.