Veteran's Museum of Texas On Gulf Freeway At Scarsdale Ave.

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

Land donation gives a lift to veterans museum project

Development of a veterans museum in Houston got a boost last week when ExxonMobil donated a 35-acre tract at the corner of Interstate 45 and Scarsdale Boulevard to the Veterans Museum in Texas, the nonprofit group spearheading the project.

Houston was selected as the site because the more than 200,000 veterans who live in Harris County represent the largest concentration of veterans in the state.

The museum's design will recognize each branch of service. The main museum building -- in the shape of the Lone Star of Texas -- will consist of three floors totaling 203,000 square feet.

Space in each point of the star will be allocated to each of the major services -- Army, Air Force, Navy, Coast Guard and Marines. - Jenna Colley

• 5 months later...

I designed the National Museum of the Pacific War (aka "Nimitz" museum) in Fredericksburg, TX a couple of years ago . . . and have been following, with great interest, the development of the Veteran's Museum. I was jealous that New Orleans got the D-day museum, but it now looks like the pendulum is swinging back in our favor. Let's hope that the momentum does not stall out on this project.

BTW: there's another proposed museum going up in Mineral Wells, TX

http://www.nationalvnwarmuseum.org/

cool info,

The D-Day musuem when to New Orleans because of the cities role in the creation and produciton of the land craft for the Normandy invasion. The man who invented and build a large share of them is in New Orleans.

I think the Veteran's Museum will be nice. These types of museums are very popular and often get great attendance.

• 2 years later...

I just saw some signs today at the site of a future Veterans Museum on the Gulf Freeway near Scarsdale. The signs say the land is donated by ExxonMobil. Does anyone have an idea on what this place will look like and how large will it be? The parcel of land looks pretty big and lot of freeway frontage for a museum.

I just saw some signs today at the site of a future Veterans Museum on the Gulf Freeway near Scarsdale. The signs say the land is donated by ExxonMobil. Does anyone have an idea on what this place will look like and how large will it be? The parcel of land looks pretty big and lot of freeway frontage for a museum.

i believe it is 35 acres. as for the museum itself, i believe it is still in the fundraising stage.

• 2 years later...

Does anyone have any current information on the proposed Veterans Museum? I had heard about this project quite a couple of years ago and someone brought it to my attention again. It was supposed to be a $143,000,000 museum at 45 and Scarsdale dedicated to veterans of all wars. They have a web site ( www.theveteransmuseumintexas.org ) but none of the info is all that new. I believe the architect was Proem. The scetches on the web look like it will be a star shape with some interesting angles on the outside. Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone has heard anything about the fate of this project?

Does anyone have any current information on the proposed Veterans Museum? I had heard about this project quite a couple of years ago and someone brought it to my attention again. It was supposed to be a $143,000,000 museum at 45 and Scarsdale dedicated to veterans of all wars. They have a web site ( www.theveteransmuseumintexas.org ) but none of the info is all that new. I believe the architect was Proem. The scetches on the web look like it will be a star shape with some interesting angles on the outside. Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone has heard anything about the fate of this project?

I hope, for the right reasons, the money shows up :

It Is The Soldier

It is the Soldier, not the minister

Who has given us freedom of religion.

It is the Soldier, not the reporter

Who has given us freedom of the press.

It is the Soldier, not the poet

Who has given us freedom of speech.

It is the Soldier, not the campus organizer

Who has given us freedom to protest.

It is the Soldier, not the lawyer

Who has given us the right to a fair trial.

It is the Soldier, not the politician

Who has given us the right to vote.

It is the Soldier who salutes the flag,

Who serves beneath the flag,

And whose coffin is draped by the flag,

Who allows the protester to burn the flag.

If anyone knows any way I could help, please post, or e - mail me. I would be very proud to lend a helping hand.

• 7 years later...

http://www.theveteransmuseumintexas.com/

The Veterans Museum in Texas ($1.5B facility to be built in Houston)

A Landmark Historical Showcase for American Veterans and Our Allies

To speak to a representative, please call 1.800.480.7010

Projected opening date July 4, 2025, in celebration of the 250th Anniversary of the acceptance of the Declaration of Independence as adopted by the Continental Congress of 1776. 

Mission:  To plan and build a world-class veterans museum honoring all five branches of service from the American Revolution to the present and incorporating allies of America, with attention to education, economic development, tourism, and advances in medicine and war-fighting technologies.

The Veterans Museum in Texas (VMIT) will serve as a non-profit educational resource for the community regarding the service of America's veterans. The Veterans Museum in Texas is dedicated to the documentation and communication of the service of all American veterans from the American Revolution to the present. 

The Museum will serve as a gathering place for veterans groups to meet and share their experience of past service together and to surrounding Independent School Districts.

The goal of this Museum is to construct a permanent facility to honor veterans and their service to America. Through permanent and changing exhibits, educational program and community outreach, the Veterans Museum in Texas will pay tribute and remembrance to the battles and people from the American Revolution to the present.

Theres a site plan below but I can't make out the location.

http://www.theveteransmuseumintexas.com/virtual-tour

984.jpg

I believe it's south.  At one time, they wanted to lease a site at Ellington Airport. Not sure if they've acquired a site.  (They wanted to lease 40 acres for $1 per year, but FAA regulations would not allow the city to lease the property for below-market rates.)

I don't think an EFD site would give them I-45 frontage, so they must have their eyes on some other property.

28 minutes ago, rechlin said:

I'm pretty certain it's Gulf Freeway at Scarsdale, and their "N" compass is just somewhat off:

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.601241,-95.1955776,1141m/data=!3m1!1e3

You are correct, Rechlin.  ExxonMobil donated 35 acres to the Museum back in 2004.  http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20041203005318/en/ExxonMobil-Donates-Land-Future-Veterans-Museum

• The title was changed to http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/38740-veterans-museum-in-texas/Veterans Museum in Texas
  • 1 year later...

As much as I love feeder roads, Texan Veterans should have a museum in a prominent place. Preferably Downtown. 

I would also hope that Texan Veterans would unite in making sure that Donald Trump, Greg Abbott, Dan Patrick, and other  absolutely worthless elected officials who have never served but don’t waste an opportunity to fetishize the military aren’t invited to the grand opening.

9 hours ago, mattyt36 said:

I would also hope that Texan Veterans would unite in making sure that Donald Trump, Greg Abbott, Dan Patrick, and other  absolutely worthless elected officials who have never served but don’t waste an opportunity to fetishize the military aren’t invited to the grand opening.

Reminds me of this scene from curb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPquarz16wQ

• The title was changed to Veteran's Museum of Texas
  • The title was changed to Veteran's Museum of Texas On Gulf Freeway At Scarsdale Ave.

Archived