Multifamily Development At 3300 Montrose Blvd.

dbigtex56

Irontiger..

Since you are such the grocery/department store connoisseur,  I have a joke for you.

Q:  How do you fit an Elephant into a SafeWay bag ?

A:  You take the 'S' off of 'Safe' and the 'F' out of 'Way'.

*Drum Riff*....

• Like 1

There is no reason to lump Transvestites (Transgender) in with crackheads and drunks.

Transvestites and transgender are not the same thing, which is why I didn't lump them together.

P.S. You have "visit every grocery store brand in the US" on your bucket list don't you ?

Uhh...maybe?

Edited by IronTiger

Old Montrose is dying. All the fourplexes and tiny apartment complexes are being replaced with $800K townhomes. Spaces that used to be Blockbuster Video and a pawn shop are now both Mattress Firms.

Edited by kylejack
  • Like 2

Transvestites and transgender are not the same thing, which is why I didn't lump them together.

That is still no reason to equate them to crackheads and drunks. Sorry that there were no crackheads and drunks there to amuse you. 

That is still no reason to equate them to crackheads and drunks. Sorry that there were no crackheads and drunks there to amuse you.

Who said I was equating them? Are drunks and crackheads equal?

Edited by IronTiger

Old Montrose is dying. All the fourplexes and tiny apartment complexes are being replaced with $800K townhomes. Spaces that used to be Blockbuster Video and a pawn shop are now both Mattress Firms.

True, but one still has interesting experiences at Disco Kroger, among other places in the area. :rolleyes:

Who said I was equating them? Are drunks and crackheads equal?

They were equated as "eye-raising characters". Maybe we can rent a bus for the "eye-raising characters" to go to the College Station PigglyWiggly to gawk at the rednecks. 

• Like 2

They were equated as "eye-raising characters". Maybe we can rent a bus for the "eye-raising characters" to go to the College Station PigglyWiggly to gawk at the rednecks. 

Geez it wasn't supposed to be an offensive comment...we haven't had a Piggly Wiggly in at least twenty years...and that would be "eye-raising" as compared to "uninteresting" (I'm pretty sure that gay pride parades are definitely supposed to be the former--the whole horse incident arguably wouldn't have happened if there wasn't a guy in a chicken suit to gawk at)

If you want to go people-watching "on the other side", go right ahead, I'm not offended. Don't get your hopes up.   <_<

Edited by IronTiger

I see no reason to be offended. As a teenager I would intentionally drive to Montrose from the burbs to see such characters at the Hollywood Cafe. Same reason I frequent some bars in the hopes I'll see some rubber balloon animal mask people.

Or going to the Ren Fest. Or even the ice skating rink at the Galleria. You'd be surprised how many people fall.

I also feel like I should mention #'s.

Edited by Montrose1100
  • Like 3

Don't forget the mattress firm going into the Tejas Boots/Hollywood convenience store location

Old Montrose has been dying for more than 25 years, and 25 years ago grizzled Montrose veterans were uttering the same sentiments about an even older Montrose. I'm sure everyone that's lived there for any length of time has their own personal landmark events signifying that things were no longer as they once were. What really stands out to me is the increasing dilution of gay and alternative culture and the ascendance of foodie culture, exemplified by Charlie's Coffee Shop and Mary's being replaced by Hay Merchant and Blacksmith.  

I'm surprised that the now-90-year-old bungalow that I lived in back in the day is still standing, but I see that HCAD currently has it appraised at almost $520K, so I'm guessing that the rent's probably a bit higher now than the $500/month I used to pay.  

• Like 1

True that. I seem to recall tile on the floors. And I paid with a check. :-)

you paid with a what?

A youngster working for my wife asked if she had been to that cool club on Westheimer called "Hashtag 2"

ha, I call it hashtags from time to time, it confuses the hell out of people. though, when I call it that, I'm being funny. when 'the kids' call it that, they are being entirely serious, that makes me sad. 

There's articles all over the internet about people who only know the 'save icon' as a 'save icon' the fact that it is supposed to look like a floppy disk is lost on them. I suppose the introspective ones wonder 'why does the save icon look like that?'.

Edited by samagon
  • Like 2

you paid with a what?

ha, I call it hashtags from time to time, it confuses the hell out of people. though, when I call it that, I'm being funny. when 'the kids' call it that, they are being entirely serious, that makes me sad. 

There's articles all over the internet about people who only know the 'save icon' as a 'save icon' the fact that it is supposed to look like a floppy disk is lost on them. I suppose the introspective ones wonder 'why does the save icon look like that?'.

If they don't remember 3.5 disks then these would really throw them for a loop...

Floppy%20disk-thumb-400x296-85290.jpg

• Like 3

• 5 years later...

This was announced this morning:  https://abc13.com/business/kroger-to-close-montrose-location/7860073/

I imagine Kroger had a plan in place for the property prior to this announcement, it’s a great piece of property. Has anybody heard anything?

Cincinnati-based Kroger Co. will shut down its location in the 3300 block of Montrose Boulevard after 17 years in mid-January, the company said.

The location had been losing money for some time, according to a statement from the company.

"We never want to close any of our stores," Kroger officials said in a statement. "However, to keep prices low for our customers across the city we cannot continue to operate a store that has lost money for a sustained period of time."

Edited by H-Town
  • Like 4
  • Sad 2

• The title was changed to Kroger Montrose Closing, What’s next for that Property?
9 minutes ago, clutchcity94 said:

Show me a Central Market !!

I think I read somewhere that HEB said no more CMs in Houston :(

This could be an interesting location for one, though. Looks like this Kroger is about 1/2 the size of our CM and the lot is about 1/3 of the size. 

Surely there's no chance of Target opening another store here, right?

10 minutes ago, LBC2HTX said:

Correct and correct. I doubt another grocer opens here.

Agreed. Given the high land value, I have to think a higher-density vertical development is most probable. It will really depend on whether Kroger is selling the site or not, and you would think the rumor mill would have been churning if they had a buyer in tow already. 

2 hours ago, H-Town said:

This was announced this morning:  https://abc13.com/business/kroger-to-close-montrose-location/7860073/

I imagine Kroger had a plan in place for the property prior to this announcement, it’s a great piece of property. Has anybody heard anything?

Looks like someone pointed out to Channel 13 that Disco Kroger had been there for a lot longer than the 17 years mentioned in the original quote... they updated their story.  I feel sorry for whoever came up with that original time line - they missed out on so much of the discolicious fabulosity that preceded the remodeling. :ph34r:

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2