Multifamily Development At 3300 Montrose Blvd.

dbigtex56

The Montrose (Ghetto, Disco) Kroger has stripped their aging flooring. According to the cashier, they're planning a complete renovation, to be completed in 7-8 months.

Guess the coming competition from H-E-B has roused them from their coma. While some fresh paint will be welcome, I hope they'll also become more conscientious about replacing wilted produce and forego their tradition of unmarked or overcharged items.

• Like 1

The Montrose (a.k.a., 'Disco' or 'Ghetto") Kroger is notorious for this practice. Having shopped there for nearly 30 years, I cannot think that it's mere carelessness, as the errors are always in their favor. Be on the lookout for mismarked or unmarked merchandise; the costs can be substantial.

(So why do I continue shopping there? It's faster and cheaper than taking a cab or bus to other grocers. And, it's still occasionally Cruisy Kroger. ;))

I noticed the renovation and particularly the webbing on the roof--is something going to be built up there?

i might have thought a second story starbucks like the midtown randalls but there is an existing starbucks across the street

• Like 2

I noticed the renovation and particularly the webbing on the roof--is something going to be built up there?

i might have thought a second story starbucks like the midtown randalls but there is an existing starbucks across the street

Per Swamplot:

" The construction will be contained entirely within the store’s current footprint — though a 2,400 sq.-ft. mezzanine “lounge” will up the store’s interior space to more than 43,800 sq. ft. "

• Like 1

The Montrose (Ghetto, Disco) Kroger has stripped their aging flooring. According to the cashier, they're planning a complete renovation, to be completed in 7-8 months.

Guess the coming competition from H-E-B has roused them from their coma. While some fresh paint will be welcome, I hope they'll also become more conscientious about replacing wilted produce and forego their tradition of unmarked or overcharged items.

Per Swamplot:

" The construction will be contained entirely within the store’s current footprint — though a 2,400 sq.-ft. mezzanine “lounge” will up the store’s interior space to more than 43,800 sq. ft. "

And a bigger "wilted produce" section.

• Like 1

Per Swamplot:

2400sq ft for a lounge?-- that's bigger than my house!---Could Starbucks be moving?-- how could another coffee bar compete? maybe Deidrich was listening?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I'll give you one guess as to which Kroger this article is referring to....

http://www.msnbc.msn...-consumer_news/

One of the nation's major grocery store chains is eliminating self-checkout lanes in an effort to encourage more human contact with its customers.

Albertsons LLC, which operates 217 stores in seven Western and Southern states, will eliminate all self-checkout lanes in the 100 stores that have them and will replace them with standard or express lanes, a spokeswoman said.........

The move marks a surprising step back from a trend that began about a decade ago, when supermarkets began installing self-checkout lanes, touting them as a solution to long lines. Now some grocery chains are questioning whether they are really good for
Kroger, the largest grocery chain in the U.S. (with some 2,500 outlets), is experimenting with removing all self-checkouts in at least one Texas store
, an industry publication. Publix, another major chain, is "on the fence" about self-checkout, according to a report quoted in the story.

For those of you who haven't visited Disco Kroger recently, In addition to removing the self-checkouts, they've set up an express-checkout area that works very well, I think.

They have 1 line set up that leads to 6 or so mini-express checkouts that are similar to, say a CVS counter. No converyor belt. Not enough counter surface for some greedy bastard with over 15 items.

Overall, I'd say it's just as fast as the self-checkout, but I've never been fond of them anyways.

Edited by Highway6

I'm all for removing the self check out stations. I find it annoying that a business expects me to scan my own groceries and then sack them, and then transact my own payment. Not this mid century man.

I stood around really annoyed the other night in the Dickinson Kroger, because a checker was not available. A clerk suggested I use the self check out counter. I refused and said that they could either provide a checker for me, or that I am leaving and they can put the items back on the shelf themselves. She called a checker, and I was waited on promptly and courteoulsy. I even paid by CHECK!.

• Like 1

It's not faster for me to have to input the fruit code, since I don't know it by heart.

It's not faster to have to wait on the one employee who has dominion over 8 self checkouts to come okay my alcohol purchase.

Having never worked in a grocery store, it's not faster for me to scan items. I haven't done it a thousand times and learned how to hold each item so that it scans on the first pass.

It's not faster to not have someone else bag my groceries while I'm paying.

It's not faster when i have big items that I have to move off the bagging area to make room for other items and I get the "Return your item to the bagging area" warning.

This is a welcome change.

Random Tangent Time

I also hate when I go deposit a check at the bank and the teller tells me I can just do that through an aTm.

a ) No i can't.. Burned once, depositing at a BoA aTm.. never again.

b ) How stupid can a teller be to encourage the use of their machine replacements ?

Edited by Highway6
  • Like 1

I was in Disco Kroger today and the new checkouts are nice. However, the loud, automated voice constantly announcing the open register numbers quickly grates on one's nerves.

I don't like self checkouts either and refuse to use them.

The BigBox home improvement stores should get rid of theirs too and put in a couple of staffed express checkouts. It's infuriating for the customer who is buying a couple of items to wait while two guys ahead of him have flatbeds loaded with sheetrock, odd-sized lumber and assorted building materials without barcodes.

• Like 1

I prefer self checkout. I am faster than they are, and I am infinitely better at bagging properly. I was at an Albertson's in Baton Rouge last week, and the self checkouts were gone. I was annoyed. Stop trying to make me interact with other people, I don't want to.

• Like 2

On occasion when I just need to pick up one item (dish detergent for example) and get back home in order to accomplish something (such as getting the dishwasher started) I get the perception that it is on average faster if I just check it out myself, however, I have yet to actually test this hypothesis.

• Like 1

It's not faster for me to have to input the fruit code, since I don't know it by heart.

While AFAIK they don't have self-checkouts, HEB has PLU stickers so that checkout by human of fruit, etc. is expedited. PLU stickers would really help with self checkout.

Typically if I have a lot of produce I go human, but if I have just a few items and all are barcode, I do self.

• Like 1

I'm all for removing the self check out stations. I find it annoying that a business expects me to scan my own groceries and then sack them, and then transact my own payment. Not this mid century man.

I stood around really annoyed the other night in the Dickinson Kroger, because a checker was not available. A clerk suggested I use the self check out counter. I refused and said that they could either provide a checker for me, or that I am leaving and they can put the items back on the shelf themselves. She called a checker, and I was waited on promptly and courteoulsy. I even paid by CHECK!.

Good god, still using checks? Glad I wasn't behind you. I don't see what is so annoying about checking oneself out. It's often a good bit faster. Why is Kroger looking at removing them?

• Like 1

Good god, still using checks? Glad I wasn't behind you. I don't see what is so annoying about checking oneself out. It's often a good bit faster. Why is Kroger looking at removing them?

I think the plumber was reveling in the fact that he is a ****.

I think the plumber was reveling in the fact that he is a ****.

Correct!.....and sometimes I even pay in CASH! It must be really annoying to be standing behind me when a clerk (or human, as VicMan calls them) is trying count my change back to me.

• Like 2

Correct!.....and sometimes I even pay in CASH! It must be really annoying to be standing behind me when a clerk (or human, as VicMan calls them) is trying count my change back to me.

Plus 1 for one cash, brother. Christ, people act like I'm a drug dealer to use a $100 bill in a transaction.

Plus 1 for one cash, brother. Christ, people act like I'm a drug dealer to use a $100 bill in a transaction.

Plus 2 for cash -- it's way easier than keeping up with a bunch of grocery receipts to compare with the monthly statement. I try to stick with smaller bills -- hate it when the cashier holds my $100 bill up to the light to check for a watermark.

Plus 2 for cash -- it's way easier than keeping up with a bunch of grocery receipts to compare with the monthly statement. I try to stick with smaller bills -- hate it when the cashier holds my $100 bill up to the light to check for a watermark.

What? You expect them for you to assume you're an honest person and NOT pass a counterfeit note? EVERYONE is honest, eh?

Not only do I (mostly) pay with cash, I generally have it in my HAND and READY while the cashier totes up my tally.

A slight peeve of mine is when people suddenly have to reach for their purse, pocket or whatever when the cashier gives the total.

C'mon, people. Really?

Plus 2 for cash -- it's way easier than keeping up with a bunch of grocery receipts to compare with the monthly statement.

I don't understand this statement.

With the advent of online banking, I'm not sure how many people go through the trouble of comparing receipts to monthly statements anymore. If you look at you banking app or hop online a few times a week, you can just ignore monthly statements.

For the technophobes who rectify their checkbook register with their Quicken database and their monthly statement.. How does cash purchases make it easier or any difference at all ?

Why would you not need to bother keeping a receipt if you pay with cash, but if you pay by check, debit or credit ( all of which you can track instantly online, or get record of purchase at the end of the month) you all of a sudden do need to hold on to the receipt for a month ?

Imaginary -1s for all you cash using neanderthals.

• Like 2

I don't understand this statement.

With the advent of online banking, I'm not sure how many people go through the trouble of comparing receipts to monthly statements anymore. If you look at you banking app or hop online a few times a week, you can just ignore monthly statements.

For the technophobes who rectify their checkbook register with their Quicken database and their monthly statement.. How does cash purchases make it easier or any difference at all ?

Why would you not need to bother keeping a receipt if you pay with cash, but if you pay by check, debit or credit ( all of which you can track instantly online, or get record of purchase at the end of the month) you all of a sudden do need to hold on to the receipt for a month ?

Imaginary -1s for all you cash using neanderthals.

I'm incredibly anal when it comes to updating my quicken, so when I update my balances I just tap the rough number up there (rounded up)and keep going.

Just using cash does not make me a luddite, but it allows myself to keep an ongoing "budget" when out and about.

If course, since I've discovered the app "mint", it has made life a bit easier.

• 2 weeks later...

That reminds of the days in the barrio when everyone gets their checks and are shopping at Fiesta. Im the only one without the 100s.

• 3 weeks later...

The remodel is coming along nicely. The mezzanine is above the deli/food prep area. I don't think it's open yet, though.

Oh, the "Please proceed to register (#)" lady has been turned back on. It wouldn't be so bad if they would change the voice/gender occasionally.

The remodel is coming along nicely. The mezzanine is above the deli/food prep area. I don't think it's open yet, though.

Oh, the "Please proceed to register (#)" lady has been turned back on. It wouldn't be so bad if they would change the voice/gender occasionally.

Gender is irrelevant at Disco Kroger.

Wells Fargo, my bank cashed a check, given a fake 100. FYI, I will check yours along with everyone elses going forward now. That was 100 I did not need to lose.