Multifamily Development At 3300 Montrose Blvd.

dbigtex56

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

https://realtynewsreport.com/disco-kroger-site-sold-for-redevelopment-project/

HOUSTON – (Realty News Report) – The so-called “Disco Kroger” store in the Montrose area has been sold to a Georgia-based real estate developer that will demolish the empty grocery and build something new.

The property was acquired by the Southeastern Real Estate Group, which is based in Augusta, Ga. Southeastern representatives did not return messages left Tuesday afternoon.

However the firm is expected to develop retail and multifamily on the site.

• Like 9

• The title was changed to “Disco Kroger” in Montrose Sold for Redevelopment

Interesting.  I've heard from several sources that this site was quietly bought late last year by a large, notable developer, not this group. 

Perhaps something changed, but hopefully my sources are accurate as the hype would be comparable to Skanska's purchase next door.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Urbannizer said:

The wheels of progress continue to turn. Hopefully it doesn't sit derelict for too  long. 

2 hours ago, Texasota said:

If this is them: https://www.southeastern.company/portfolio/

Then their work looks mostly pretty mediocre.

*but*

They have developed an apartment building with a full grocery store on the ground floor.

Big time yawn. 

18 minutes ago, clutchcity94 said:

Looks like they only have one project in their portfolio that is actually in an urban area (Dallas), and surprise surprise...it’s multi family with a Kroger on the ground floor.

CF7BFA7C-72E5-4478-B246-78F66F487F04.jpeg

And it also looks like it hasn't actually been built, yet. This lot in Dallas is surrounded by the mid-rise 5ish story apartment blocks just like this rendering so it kind of makes sense for there?

I'm still holding out hope we get something a little more interesting or taller at least. If it turns out to be something akin to the Whole Foods in Midtown with residential above, then so be it. Having a walkable grocery store to support the Westheimer/Montrose corridor is something positive. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, nate4l1f3 said:

Why would Kroger lease out in the same location if one of the reasons they closed was because of profit? Maybe newer store brings more folks in?

I don’t necessarily think it’ll be another Kroger (or grocery store) on the ground floor. Wouldn’t surprise me if it were a gym chain though. Other than Timberline (which is quite small) further south near the spur, there really isn’t another large gym closer than the 24 Hour Fitness in Midtown or that LA Fitness on Yale.

I think another Equinox gym would make perfect sense in this spot. Their River Oaks District location is quite a hike from a Montrose, especially during rush hour. They could draw a solid customer base willing to pay $180/month from not only Montrose, but the Heights, Rice Military, Museum District, and Boulevard Oaks as well.

Edited by clutchcity94
  • Like 1

I remember 

43 minutes ago, clutchcity94 said:

I don’t necessarily think it’ll be another Kroger (or grocery store) on the ground floor. Wouldn’t surprise me if it were a gym chain though. Other than Timberline (which is quite small) further south near the spur, there really isn’t another large gym closer than the 24 Hour Fitness in Midtown or that LA Fitness on Yale.

I think another Equinox gym would make perfect sense in this spot. Their River Oaks District location is quite a hike from a Montrose, especially during rush hour. They could draw a solid customer base willing to pay $180/month from not only Montrose, but the Heights, Rice Military, Museum District, and Boulevard Oaks as well.

I remember seeing plans to build an Equinox at the new Allen development on the bayou. I wonder if Equinox could sustain both with such proximity 

From Houston Chronicle:

Likely the most famous Kroger in Houston, Disco Kroger earned its nickname for the late-night crowds streaming in after bars closed when the store operated 24 hours. It was also affectionately called so because the supermarket was in the heart of Houston's LGBTQ+ neighborhood. Drag queens and people in costumes could be seen on any given day, and the store became a hub during Pride.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, CREguy13 said:

Interesting.  I've heard from several sources that this site was quietly bought late last year by a large, notable developer, not this group. 

Perhaps something changed, but hopefully my sources are accurate as the hype would be comparable to Skanska's purchase next door.

It looks like an LLC associated with the mentioned “Southeastern Company” closed on the land on January 20th:

https://www.cclerk.hctx.net/applications/websearch/EComm/ViewEdocs.aspx?ID=ihpahpMbvcoWkF5RdbzIVRyNwUiVLmtthjAvq5Kbxz3Ic7udQ+2q4gpWqg3ykdpPMO7EjYDBpyLa7b6zZ5KKPN9Dlf8ZV2IpvCbfBjl1Z28skmDRSom0itRos8em776m2R6KoNKb1fPo02Y/rOT7Xg==#

• Like 4

8 hours ago, HoustonMidtown said:

From Houston Chronicle:

Likely the most famous Kroger in Houston, Disco Kroger earned its nickname for the late-night crowds streaming in after bars closed when the store operated 24 hours. It was also affectionately called so because the supermarket was in the heart of Houston's LGBTQ+ neighborhood. Drag queens and people in costumes could be seen on any given day, and the store became a hub during Pride.

I think the name Disco Kroger became popular because its former nickname (Cruise-y Kroger) made some people uncomfortable.

• Haha 3

Halloween has been a blast in Montrose for me since then nonstop...up until last year, darn covid!

but love the zombie walk and all the contests at various bars and establishments...even had a blast the year we walked by Agora as it was ablaze in 2010! 😲 (that was scary and so glad no one was hurt and it didn't burn completely down!)

Edited by gene

6 hours ago, gene said:

Halloween has been a blast in Montrose for me since then nonstop...up until last year, darn covid!

but love the zombie walk and all the contests at various bars and establishments...even had a blast the year we walked by Agora as it was ablaze in 2010! 😲 (that was scary and so glad no one was hurt and it didn't burn completely down!)

Wow..I can't believe it's been 10 years already since that happened.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, dbigtex56 said:

I think the name Disco Kroger became popular because its former nickname (Cruise-y Kroger) made some people uncomfortable.

I'd like to see the Chronicle try to explain the nickname "Cruisey Kroger" like they did "Disco Kroger". It would probably be as entertaining as their style guide's stodgy insistence on rendering a certain infamous Texas band's name as the "BH Surfers".

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 2/3/2021 at 10:48 PM, dbigtex56 said:

I never called it "Cruise-y Kroger," I always figured "cruise-y" was a given with "disco." Anyway, I used to make midnight Haagen-Dazs runs there starting in 1979. They only had one register open, so there was always a line. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, MidCenturyMoldy said:

I never called it "Cruise-y Kroger," I always figured "cruise-y" was a given with "disco." Anyway, I used to make midnight Haagen-Dazs runs there starting in 1979. They only had one register open, so there was always a line. 

Some things never change.  Until they started adding a lot of self-checkouts, most Krogers were a pain late at night because they'd only keep one lane open.