Jump to content

“Disco Kroger” In Montrose Sold For Redevelopment


dbigtex56

Recommended Posts

On 2/12/2021 at 3:09 PM, hindesky said:

A fence now surrounds the whole block.

r6QPnD2.jpg

This block will become something great for the area. I know we have fond memories of this Kroger but let’s be real here. The development doesn’t fit this neighborhood anymore. It really never did. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Highrise Tower changed the title to “Disco Kroger” In Montrose Sold For Redevelopment
  • 2 weeks later...

https://realtynewsreport.com/keep-montrose-weird-combining-growth-flavor-and-funk/

“The two-acre Kroger (nicknamed the Disco Kroger)  space next door (to the Skanska site) was purchased by Southeastern out of Augusta, Georgia at the beginning of the year,” says Davis. “These folks paid $8 million, or $167 per SF which was not record setting, but not pocket change either.  

Southeastern plans to do retail on the first floor and then do some sort of residential tower, although there is nothing definitive about their concept.  They don’t have any dates yet.

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/3/2021 at 8:36 AM, clutchcity94 said:

Looks like they only have one project in their portfolio that is actually in an urban area (Dallas), and surprise surprise...it’s multi family with a Kroger on the ground floor.

 

CF7BFA7C-72E5-4478-B246-78F66F487F04.jpeg

They’ve updated their website. Several multifamily properties already built or in the planning stages.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
48 minutes ago, tangledwoods said:

Cherry might need a bigger "hoe" to bring this one down.

That one did the water/sewer disconnect in the back. I'm sure the big hoes are coming on the way.

  • Like 4
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Found some signs that are confusing as to what this might be. Cherry is almost done talking it down except for the northeast corner and load out. 

Looking at Sun Builders web site shows that they primarily build grocery stores, box stores, banks and interiors.

SEK Yoakum Lovett LLC is a newly created company out of Travis county.

I'm guessing possibly another grocery store and possibly Kroger???

http://www.sunbuildersco.com

https://texas-biz.com/co/sek-yoakum-lovett-llc

gZ5KRa9.jpg

WJqFuZd.jpg

ASZP7GT.jpg

bsyGqi2.jpg

Edited by hindesky
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, thatguysly said:

RIP Disco Kroger.

It seems weird to build another Kroger in its spot with an additional element like residential. Its not like there is much room there to build a bigger Kroger and have parking.

Did you mean to type "without" instead of "with"?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/14/2021 at 9:02 AM, thatguysly said:

RIP Disco Kroger.

It seems weird to build another Kroger in its spot with an additional element like residential. Its not like there is much room there to build a bigger Kroger and have parking.

If they incorporate underground and/or podium-style parking (which seems certain), it will result in even more land available to build a larger Kroger with ample parking for both residents and customers.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, clutchcity94 said:

I feel like the days are numbered for the Walgreens across the street. Anyone know how long it’s been there? I know the CVS further south on Montrose & Richmond has been there since 2005.

Walgreen's was built sometime before 2000, probably mid-1990's. 
I remember, because the Art Institute left some great furniture curbside when their building was demo'd.
(edit: 1994, per HCAD)

Edited by dbigtex56
added info
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dbigtex56 said:

Walgreen's was built sometime before 2000, probably mid-1990's. 
I remember, because the Art Institute left some great furniture curbside when their building was demo'd.
(edit: 1994, per HCAD)

Wait so the Art Institute was located where the Walgreens is now? I went to the Yorktown location and the 59 location when they moved. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Wait so the Art Institute was located where the Walgreens is now? I went to the Yorktown location and the 59 location when they moved. 

On the same block.
There was a 1950's mid-rise yellow brick office building (known as "The Kwik-Kopy" Building) on the northeast corner of Hawthorne and Montrose, with parking behind. 
Don't recall offhand what occupied the northern half of the block, or what else fronted on Montrose on that side of the street.
 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Wait so the Art Institute was located where the Walgreens is now? I went to the Yorktown location and the 59 location when they moved. 

I heard they use to be in Montrose back in the day.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, gene said:

yeah sounds about right as the Soundwaves was a Walgreens before that! 

Yep. That was the neighborhood Walgreens before the newer one was built. It used to be my go-to drugstore when I first moved to Montrose, but tbh I probably spent a lot more time in it after Soundwaves relocated there.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Wait so the Art Institute was located where the Walgreens is now? I went to the Yorktown location and the 59 location when they moved. 

It was originally located on Yoakum at Kipling, in a building that had been an ESL school, where the Annunciation Orthodox School is now.

Edited by MidCenturyMoldy
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, dbigtex56 said:

On the same block.
There was a 1950's mid-rise yellow brick office building (known as "The Kwik-Kopy" Building) on the northeast corner of Hawthorne and Montrose, with parking behind. 
Don't recall offhand what occupied the northern half of the block, or what else fronted on Montrose on that side of the street.
 

Wow any pics? Anyone?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Wow any pics? Anyone?

Haven't found any pics yet but found this mention in The Montrose Voice  (Feb 26, 1982) on page 5 (third paragraph of "Montrose Mouth"):

"The offices of the MONTROSE VOICE will be at 3317 Montrose, third floor, starting next week."
"(The 3317 Montrose Building is across the street from Kroger - the building that houses Kwik Kopy.)"

Edited by dbigtex56
added link
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/16/2021 at 9:25 AM, dbigtex56 said:

Haven't found any pics yet but found this mention in The Montrose Voice  (Feb 26, 1982) on page 5 (third paragraph of "Montrose Mouth"):

"The offices of the MONTROSE VOICE will be at 3317 Montrose, third floor, starting next week."
"(The 3317 Montrose Building is across the street from Kroger - the building that houses Kwik Kopy.)"

I just spent more time than I care to admit paging through that PDF, deep in a Proustian reverie triggered by the sight of a Spud-U-Like ad.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, mkultra25 said:

I just spent more time than I care to admit paging through that PDF, deep in a Proustian reverie triggered by the sight of a Spud-U-Like ad.

I saw the Byman's ad regarding mattresses on page 6, and it was reassuring to know Montrose's heritage as a major mattress retailer hub dates back at least 40 years. That is some real history I can appreciate. 

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...