“Disco Kroger” In Montrose Sold For Redevelopment

The Montrose (Ghetto, Disco) Kroger has stripped their aging flooring. According to the cashier, they're planning a complete renovation, to be completed in 7-8 months.

Guess the coming competition from H-E-B has roused them from their coma. While some fresh paint will be welcome, I hope they'll also become more conscientious about replacing wilted produce and forego their tradition of unmarked or overcharged items.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It’s going to be a French-themed nightclub named Discothèque Krogeré (pronounced KRO-JHER-E). 😝

Rip Van Tagger must've just awakened from the proverbial 20-year nap, if the closure of Disco Kroger was the tipping point that prompted him to whip out his arsenal of paints and declare Montrose dead

That shouldn't be a problem in Montrose. 

Posted Images

The Montrose (a.k.a., 'Disco' or 'Ghetto") Kroger is notorious for this practice. Having shopped there for nearly 30 years, I cannot think that it's mere carelessness, as the errors are always in their favor. Be on the lookout for mismarked or unmarked merchandise; the costs can be substantial.

(So why do I continue shopping there? It's faster and cheaper than taking a cab or bus to other grocers. And, it's still occasionally Cruisy Kroger. ;))

I noticed the renovation and particularly the webbing on the roof--is something going to be built up there?

i might have thought a second story starbucks like the midtown randalls but there is an existing starbucks across the street

• Like 1

I noticed the renovation and particularly the webbing on the roof--is something going to be built up there?

i might have thought a second story starbucks like the midtown randalls but there is an existing starbucks across the street

Per Swamplot:

" The construction will be contained entirely within the store’s current footprint — though a 2,400 sq.-ft. mezzanine “lounge” will up the store’s interior space to more than 43,800 sq. ft. "

The Montrose (Ghetto, Disco) Kroger has stripped their aging flooring. According to the cashier, they're planning a complete renovation, to be completed in 7-8 months.

Guess the coming competition from H-E-B has roused them from their coma. While some fresh paint will be welcome, I hope they'll also become more conscientious about replacing wilted produce and forego their tradition of unmarked or overcharged items.

Per Swamplot:

" The construction will be contained entirely within the store’s current footprint — though a 2,400 sq.-ft. mezzanine “lounge” will up the store’s interior space to more than 43,800 sq. ft. "

And a bigger "wilted produce" section.

Per Swamplot:

2400sq ft for a lounge?-- that's bigger than my house!---Could Starbucks be moving?-- how could another coffee bar compete? maybe Deidrich was listening?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I'll give you one guess as to which Kroger this article is referring to....

http://www.msnbc.msn...-consumer_news/

One of the nation's major grocery store chains is eliminating self-checkout lanes in an effort to encourage more human contact with its customers.

Albertsons LLC, which operates 217 stores in seven Western and Southern states, will eliminate all self-checkout lanes in the 100 stores that have them and will replace them with standard or express lanes, a spokeswoman said.........

The move marks a surprising step back from a trend that began about a decade ago, when supermarkets began installing self-checkout lanes, touting them as a solution to long lines. Now some grocery chains are questioning whether they are really good for
Kroger, the largest grocery chain in the U.S. (with some 2,500 outlets), is experimenting with removing all self-checkouts in at least one Texas store
, an industry publication. Publix, another major chain, is "on the fence" about self-checkout, according to a report quoted in the story.

For those of you who haven't visited Disco Kroger recently, In addition to removing the self-checkouts, they've set up an express-checkout area that works very well, I think.

They have 1 line set up that leads to 6 or so mini-express checkouts that are similar to, say a CVS counter. No converyor belt. Not enough counter surface for some greedy bastard with over 15 items.

Overall, I'd say it's just as fast as the self-checkout, but I've never been fond of them anyways.

Edited by Highway6

I'm all for removing the self check out stations. I find it annoying that a business expects me to scan my own groceries and then sack them, and then transact my own payment. Not this mid century man.

I stood around really annoyed the other night in the Dickinson Kroger, because a checker was not available. A clerk suggested I use the self check out counter. I refused and said that they could either provide a checker for me, or that I am leaving and they can put the items back on the shelf themselves. She called a checker, and I was waited on promptly and courteoulsy. I even paid by CHECK!.

It's not faster for me to have to input the fruit code, since I don't know it by heart.

It's not faster to have to wait on the one employee who has dominion over 8 self checkouts to come okay my alcohol purchase.

Having never worked in a grocery store, it's not faster for me to scan items. I haven't done it a thousand times and learned how to hold each item so that it scans on the first pass.

It's not faster to not have someone else bag my groceries while I'm paying.

It's not faster when i have big items that I have to move off the bagging area to make room for other items and I get the "Return your item to the bagging area" warning.

This is a welcome change.

Random Tangent Time

I also hate when I go deposit a check at the bank and the teller tells me I can just do that through an aTm.

a ) No i can't.. Burned once, depositing at a BoA aTm.. never again.

b ) How stupid can a teller be to encourage the use of their machine replacements ?

Edited by Highway6

I was in Disco Kroger today and the new checkouts are nice. However, the loud, automated voice constantly announcing the open register numbers quickly grates on one's nerves.

I don't like self checkouts either and refuse to use them.

The BigBox home improvement stores should get rid of theirs too and put in a couple of staffed express checkouts. It's infuriating for the customer who is buying a couple of items to wait while two guys ahead of him have flatbeds loaded with sheetrock, odd-sized lumber and assorted building materials without barcodes.

I prefer self checkout. I am faster than they are, and I am infinitely better at bagging properly. I was at an Albertson's in Baton Rouge last week, and the self checkouts were gone. I was annoyed. Stop trying to make me interact with other people, I don't want to.

• Like 1

On occasion when I just need to pick up one item (dish detergent for example) and get back home in order to accomplish something (such as getting the dishwasher started) I get the perception that it is on average faster if I just check it out myself, however, I have yet to actually test this hypothesis.

It's not faster for me to have to input the fruit code, since I don't know it by heart.

While AFAIK they don't have self-checkouts, HEB has PLU stickers so that checkout by human of fruit, etc. is expedited. PLU stickers would really help with self checkout.

Typically if I have a lot of produce I go human, but if I have just a few items and all are barcode, I do self.

I will miss the self checkout lanes ...it's much faster to go through with a few items than to wait in line behind the person paying by check for a gallon of milk.....it's super easy to scan, bag myself so my chips/bread aren't smashed, and be on my way....

I'm all for removing the self check out stations. I find it annoying that a business expects me to scan my own groceries and then sack them, and then transact my own payment. Not this mid century man.

I stood around really annoyed the other night in the Dickinson Kroger, because a checker was not available. A clerk suggested I use the self check out counter. I refused and said that they could either provide a checker for me, or that I am leaving and they can put the items back on the shelf themselves. She called a checker, and I was waited on promptly and courteoulsy. I even paid by CHECK!.

Good god, still using checks? Glad I wasn't behind you. I don't see what is so annoying about checking oneself out. It's often a good bit faster. Why is Kroger looking at removing them?

• Like 1

Good god, still using checks? Glad I wasn't behind you. I don't see what is so annoying about checking oneself out. It's often a good bit faster. Why is Kroger looking at removing them?

I think the plumber was reveling in the fact that he is a ****.

I think the plumber was reveling in the fact that he is a ****.

Correct!.....and sometimes I even pay in CASH! It must be really annoying to be standing behind me when a clerk (or human, as VicMan calls them) is trying count my change back to me.

• Like 2

Correct!.....and sometimes I even pay in CASH! It must be really annoying to be standing behind me when a clerk (or human, as VicMan calls them) is trying count my change back to me.

Plus 1 for one cash, brother. Christ, people act like I'm a drug dealer to use a $100 bill in a transaction.

Plus 1 for one cash, brother. Christ, people act like I'm a drug dealer to use a $100 bill in a transaction.

Plus 2 for cash -- it's way easier than keeping up with a bunch of grocery receipts to compare with the monthly statement. I try to stick with smaller bills -- hate it when the cashier holds my $100 bill up to the light to check for a watermark.

Plus 2 for cash -- it's way easier than keeping up with a bunch of grocery receipts to compare with the monthly statement. I try to stick with smaller bills -- hate it when the cashier holds my $100 bill up to the light to check for a watermark.

What? You expect them for you to assume you're an honest person and NOT pass a counterfeit note? EVERYONE is honest, eh?

Not only do I (mostly) pay with cash, I generally have it in my HAND and READY while the cashier totes up my tally.

A slight peeve of mine is when people suddenly have to reach for their purse, pocket or whatever when the cashier gives the total.

C'mon, people. Really?

Plus 2 for cash -- it's way easier than keeping up with a bunch of grocery receipts to compare with the monthly statement.

I don't understand this statement.

With the advent of online banking, I'm not sure how many people go through the trouble of comparing receipts to monthly statements anymore. If you look at you banking app or hop online a few times a week, you can just ignore monthly statements.

For the technophobes who rectify their checkbook register with their Quicken database and their monthly statement.. How does cash purchases make it easier or any difference at all ?

Why would you not need to bother keeping a receipt if you pay with cash, but if you pay by check, debit or credit ( all of which you can track instantly online, or get record of purchase at the end of the month) you all of a sudden do need to hold on to the receipt for a month ?

Imaginary -1s for all you cash using neanderthals.

• Like 2

I don't understand this statement.

With the advent of online banking, I'm not sure how many people go through the trouble of comparing receipts to monthly statements anymore. If you look at you banking app or hop online a few times a week, you can just ignore monthly statements.

For the technophobes who rectify their checkbook register with their Quicken database and their monthly statement.. How does cash purchases make it easier or any difference at all ?

Why would you not need to bother keeping a receipt if you pay with cash, but if you pay by check, debit or credit ( all of which you can track instantly online, or get record of purchase at the end of the month) you all of a sudden do need to hold on to the receipt for a month ?

Imaginary -1s for all you cash using neanderthals.

I'm incredibly anal when it comes to updating my quicken, so when I update my balances I just tap the rough number up there (rounded up)and keep going.

Just using cash does not make me a luddite, but it allows myself to keep an ongoing "budget" when out and about.

If course, since I've discovered the app "mint", it has made life a bit easier.

• 2 weeks later...

That reminds of the days in the barrio when everyone gets their checks and are shopping at Fiesta. Im the only one without the 100s.

• 3 weeks later...

The remodel is coming along nicely. The mezzanine is above the deli/food prep area. I don't think it's open yet, though.

Oh, the "Please proceed to register (#)" lady has been turned back on. It wouldn't be so bad if they would change the voice/gender occasionally.

The remodel is coming along nicely. The mezzanine is above the deli/food prep area. I don't think it's open yet, though.

Oh, the "Please proceed to register (#)" lady has been turned back on. It wouldn't be so bad if they would change the voice/gender occasionally.

Gender is irrelevant at Disco Kroger.

Wells Fargo, my bank cashed a check, given a fake 100. FYI, I will check yours along with everyone elses going forward now. That was 100 I did not need to lose.

The West Gray location was tarted up with a new deli section as well not so long ago. All hands on Deck for Kroger.

doubt it, unless you mean all hands on deck except for kombat kroger.

to the self check vs the human interaction, what human interaction? the most discussion i have with the person running the register is to tell me to swipe my own card when i offer it to them during checkout.

soooooooooooooooooo

I do get a lot of chatter from the people at register and perhaps because I am old and slow I get quite a few "finding everything. . . . " from stockers on aisles. The Kroger on Gray , not so much chatter.

My last observation of odd difference between the 2 stores: The orchids at disco were $9.99 the same size orchid on Gray, $16.00. I've seen that exact price different several times over the last several months.

It's on Polk street. 4000 Polk Street to be exact.

Ahhh, Kombat Kroger. Was just in there last week picking up cheap wine and totinos pizza rolls. (Don't judge. Nothing says love like giving your partner a break from veggies and quinoa) Yet, I refuse to go into the brand new Dollar General next door. Yikes, I'm becoming a retail snob. Or maybe I just haven't yet had a hankering for off-name vienna sausages.

...going back to Kombat Kroger, they have perfectly serviceable, staple produce there like onions, greens, peppers, etc. It beats driving to Fiesta or Gulfgate if I forgot something on my list.

I had to stop going to the Fiesta. Every time I go, I buy enough Jarritos to feed a family of 8 and finish all of it on my own in less than a week.

On a side note, Jarrito + tequila = cheap margaritas.

I need to start supporting Fiesta again though, I enjoy shopping there.

to get kind of back on subject, I really don't know what it is about the Kombat Kroger, I really do everything I can to avoid shopping there, maybe there isn't enough lighting to make it inviting, the isles are too small, the chalk outlines on the floor? I don't know, something about that place just makes me not want to shop there.

What is up with the bell at the registers at Disco? Somebody will ring it and everybody claps. Has the checker just received a tip?

I was there and there was a sign that said "ring the bell if you had good service", so I rang the bell... twice... and nothing happened. :(

I was there and there was a sign that said "ring the bell if you had good service", so I rang the bell... twice... and nothing happened. :(

I was hoping they would play some Anita Ward over the PA but noooooooo.....Some Disco Kroger.

• 2 weeks later...

Do they ever play real disco music?

Always liked that store - it's 'fabulous' regardless of what music is playing!

I agree!

This is my most favorite store-- when asked nicely. . . . . they will put back and save a six pack of the St. Arnold's special issue (that flies off the shelves in the first hour it appears) till I can stop by and pick it up after work.

So from the many posts in this thread I am gathering that Kroger's have decided to remove the self serves, I say yea to that. Wish they would take them out in the DFW area. I've always hated them, seems that the store always has to have someone there to fix something that won't ring up. Albertson's have taken all of them out up here. Talked to one of the managers and she said she was happy they were gone too, they were always a pain in butt, something always going wrong. I hate the idea of checking myself out for 2 reasons. 1) it puts checkers out of a job, 2) if I'm going to check myself out I want a discount for doing the work myself. These checkers today have it easy when I was a teenager and worked for 7-11 the cash registers had a handle on the side like a slot machine you had to pull to open it and you had to actually ring up the idem, no bar codes.

Edited by blue92
  • 2 months later...

I've noticed that prior to this renovation, the Montrose Kroger was branded as a Kroger "Signature", which is puzzling, as the Kroger seemed to never be very large or upscale, quite the opposite in fact (note: "Signature" is different from the "Marketplace" stores in Richmond and Rosenberg)

I think "Fresh Fare" isn't actually part of the store, it's just some of the junk they put on the side, sort of like how H-E-B has "H-E-B Fresh Foods" but it isn't the actual name of the store, you know?

I heard that the Montrose Kroger had its third renovation. Obviously the second renovation added on the "Signature", and I'm betting on late 1990s. Before the Signature rebranding, did the Kroger somewhat resemble this[/a]? (except for the script "Kroger", and not the block lettering)? I'm betting yes.

• 3 years later...

I visited the Montrose "Disco" Kroger at 9 pm on a Friday night, and despite getting a renovation in the last few years, I was...profoundly disappointed. I mean, on the inside, it didn't look too different from most Krogers I've seen (the mezzanine and the tile scars on the floor aside), but the clientele just wasn't the outrageous collection I've always read about. Apart from a suspicious guy in a hoodie who looked nervously around before darting out the door with an unpaid item and a few other somewhat slightly-less-than-mainstream-but-nothing-really-eye-raising characters, there wasn't any transvestites, crackheads, or drunks (or any combination thereof, at least what I could tell). There wasn't any frozen fruit (something I read about but did confirm) and a very slim selection of non-Greek and/or organic yogurt, but that was okay because I wasn't looking for that sort of thing anyway, but all in all, a disappointment.

Did I just visit the store at the wrong time or has the store's craziness gone away for good?

• Highrise Tower changed the title to “Disco Kroger” In Montrose Sold For Redevelopment
  • Urbannizer changed the title to “Disco Kroger” in Montrose Sold for Redevelopment