Walmart Supercenter At 2391 South Wayside Dr.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just for grins, I got a couple of freeway shots of the area BEFORE construction started so we can have something to compare to. I'm not there often enough to plan an overall shoot of the area.

FILE010.jpg

FILE004.jpg

Unless something has changed since the original information was released, the Walmart property will not include that corner in your first shot. That's where the old Holiday Inn was located.

Unless something has changed since the original information was released, the Walmart property will not include that corner in your first shot. That's where the old Holiday Inn was located.

That is correct, but I figure I'd just shoot that area overall. I could zoom in closer if you want, all that requires is a little zoom and crop.

• 4 weeks later...

More pics.

Not quite Jax quality, but whatever. :)

I haven't been down this road in since this fence has been built. Maybe 20 yrs ago?

From Google Maps, I thought this was a way in and out, but I was surprised to find a fence with openings open only for pedestrians. Believe it or not, I saw quite a bit of auto traffic as people were either picking up or dropping people off.

th_P1010570.jpg

This is the very back of it property. The security seemed to be a bit concerned about my taking pics of the property, but I just waved at him in a friendly manner and smiled.

th_P1010571.jpg

th_P1010572.jpg

This is across the street. I'm assuming this is part of the school there, but I don't now.

th_P1010573.jpg

What caught my eye though was the art on the docking side, and decided to take as many detailed pictures, including the dedications and thanks of the various sponsors. Might as well let this live online at least.

th_P1010574.jpg

th_P1010575.jpg

th_P1010576.jpg

th_P1010578.jpg

th_P1010579.jpg

th_P1010580.jpg

th_P1010581.jpg

th_P1010582.jpg

th_P1010584.jpg

th_P1010585.jpg

th_P1010586.jpg

th_P1010588.jpg

th_P1010589.jpg

th_P1010590.jpg

th_P1010591.jpg

th_P1010593.jpg

th_P1010577.jpg

This is the wayside st. part of the property. Kinda' wonder if that hotel will survive.

th_P1010596.jpg

th_P1010597.jpg

th_P1010598.jpg

th_P1010599.jpg

th_P1010600.jpg

This is across the street. This strip is almost totally vacant and will be interesting to visit this site in a year or so.

th_P1010602.jpg

Someone said earlier in the thread that the building with the mural was not going to be part of the Walmart, so it wouldn't be coming down. Great to see some pictures of it, as I drive down 45 every day and see what's visible from there.

On a semi related note...the Happy Days Lounge just down the feeder has been closed for some time, and it curently for lease. I can't help but wonder what the rent is for such a fine drinking location.

I had never been in, but even as a kid I imagined that being the kind of place that Murph and the Magic Tones would have played.

murph-and-the-magic-tones.jpg

• 6 months later...

Just for grins, I got a couple of freeway shots of the area BEFORE construction started so we can have something to compare to. I'm not there often enough to plan an overall shoot of the area.

FILE010.jpg

FILE004.jpg

There it is in the top photo, that skeleton billboard has been like that since 1983...........that's 28 years people. Who said Houston doesn't embrace older structures?

Photos in post 72, that's where The Holiday Inn used to be. Those sad palms are haunting. That whole area is to me, when I travel down I-45 South. I still notice the damage to the old trees, from the hurricane. Very sad. Something else was at that spot, before the Holiday Inn hotel. Think it was a travel camp, cottages, long before the freeway.

There are always tradeoffs, but the old vacant Oshman's warehouse and dilapidated buildings on Wayside have hardly been an asset to the area. It’s much better than 28 acres of lower rent apartment buildings.

Yeah - I agree. Honestly lower rent apartments and municipal housing projects need to be built in the older suburbs (North Forest, Hiram Clarke, area between Sunnyside and Pearland)

no they don't....retail is needed instead...not more apartments where people are living on top of each other...I grew up south of Hiram Clarke and our area has remained stable because there are NO apartments..outside of a row of duplexes on the main street, everyone had their own yard to grow up in.

Fondren SW is all the example you need when you mix nice homes and slum apartments

It's a matter not making any one area too dense with apartments - What happened in Fondren SW, Gulfton, and other areas was that apartments were all concentrated in the same areas, rather than being spread evenly. Its like spreading peanut butter on a sandwich.

So we could add some apartments to Hiram Clarke, some apartments to the area at the intersection of Beltway 8 and 288, some apartments in Minnetex, and some apartments in North Forest. But none of the areas would get too many.

no they don't....retail is needed instead...not more apartments where people are living on top of each other...I grew up south of Hiram Clarke and our area has remained stable because there are NO apartments..outside of a row of duplexes on the main street, everyone had their own yard to grow up in.

Fondren SW is all the example you need when you mix nice homes and slum apartments

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm no fan of WalMart by any means...however, it beats the prices and quality of the Sellers' Bros. across the freeway! The HEB at Gulfgate (oh, how I miss that mall!) isn't bad but I agree with the previous comments: they DO need to step up their game. The Fiesta on Wayside isn't so bad but the location right on 45 feeder is excellent! As for the traffic...that intersection is always busy.

Unless Walmart managed to get the Wang property on the corner (which was the Holiday Inn), their store won't be actually ON the corner. I haven't looked at the property records in several months so guess it could have happened by now.

Initial intel in the hood was that Wang wanted too much money.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Ricco67, for your personal risk, sacrifice, glad u weren't injured...oh, the things we do for HAIF.

haha...looks like u were perched on that traffic light post, like a bird. Interesting shots.

I remember going in the Oshman's warehouse with my dad, in the '70's maybe, and always noticing the pretty neon Holiday Inn Sign, from the 1960's.

I'm on the fence about this issue, know it will be of great use to area residents, a new Walmart. I personally don't really like them.

ran across this definition the other day, when writing a paper...

Sylvan : abounding in trees; wooded. (Idylwood street name)

• 1 month later...

Unless Walmart managed to get the Wang property on the corner (which was the Holiday Inn), their store won't be actually ON the corner. I haven't looked at the property records in several months so guess it could have happened by now.

Initial intel in the hood was that Wang wanted too much money.

Latest info is that Walmart did buy the Wang property (old Holiday Inn) so there will be more feeder access.

Archived