Walmart Supercenter At 2391 South Wayside Dr.

According to Swamplot, looks like they are planning on building a Supercenter just between the Idylwood Subdivision and the Gulf Freeway.

There isn't much that can be done in that area due to the lousy location (sight of the old Oshman's warehouse), but I was hoping for something better than Walmart.

What sucks, is that I planned to live near there.

The traffic IS horrendous as it is, I can't even fathom what it is going to be like once it's completed.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Given how starved the east end is for basic, non-dollar store retail, outside of Idylwood and the usual Eastwood clique I doubt there will be meaningful opposition. Another grocery store in proximity will hopefully put the pressure on Kroger to step up their game at the Polk/Cullen store. Gulfgate HEB could stand to clean its act up, too. Interesting how this story broke about the same time it appears the Foleys warehouse is up for sale. I had always imagined that would be the logical place for the next big retail center along 45 South.

<s3mh>

this shouldn't be made, no one on the east end wants it, and for the people that do, there is one right outside of the heights for them to use.

traffic in that area is going to be horrendous, I mean, walmart of that size will generate 78,263,434 extra car trips a day down an already busy neighborhood side street (there is an apartment complex on the I45 feeder).

they should be using this land more efficiently, then last thing anyone in the east end wants is to be like 1960 with a big box store, we feel that mixed use development is the best use of the land in question, with a parking garage. (note do not build mixed use in any other location in east end, this is the only place that makes sense for mixed use).

safety, violence, I know everything.

</s3mh>

I don't think people in the east end who post here are going to have a big issue with it. I could be wrong though.

Given how starved the east end is for basic, non-dollar store retail, outside of Idylwood and the usual Eastwood clique I doubt there will be meaningful opposition. Another grocery store in proximity will hopefully put the pressure on Kroger to step up their game at the Polk/Cullen store. Gulfgate HEB could stand to clean its act up, too. Interesting how this story broke about the same time it appears the Foleys warehouse is up for sale. I had always imagined that would be the logical place for the next big retail center along 45 South.

Totally agree. But I think this will push Fiesta, HEB, and a few of the other larger retailers to compete. I wouldn't doubt that there are plans to upgrade the fiesta before the walmart is completed.

My thoughts on Walmart was well known, but given the location and the amount of businesses in the area, I think that this store might be the victim of it's own success when it comes to traffic.

Wayside @ 45 on just about any hour of the day is backed up almost all the way to the nearest light to the north. The nearest exit (northbound) from I 45 is just past Woodridge.

This would be a good location for a Target. Perfect for the Eado, Eastwood, Houston Country Club, and Idylwood residents.

serious question time...

Are they going to tear down and build a new structure, or are they going to keep the existing structure?

If they are going to keep the existing structure, are they going to keep the mural on the back of the building?

If they were to tear down the building, would they consider keeping that one wall with the mural?

serious question time...

Are they going to tear down and build a new structure, or are they going to keep the existing structure?

If they are going to keep the existing structure, are they going to keep the mural on the back of the building?

If they were to tear down the building, would they consider keeping that one wall with the mural?

1. Tear it down and build a new one.

2. No.

3. No.

serious question time...

I might be wrong, but I don't think the building with the mural on it is part of the property Wal-Mart is purchasing (at least it doesn't appear to be).

I was initially against a Wal-Mart being built there, but given the increase in retail it might bring, and the improvements that existing retailers like Kroger and HEB would be forced to make to stay competitive, this could turn out to be great for the entire area. I'm not generally a Wal-Mart shopper (the S Post Oak location, even given its proximity to very expensive homes, is still rather trashy), but this might be what developers and lenders need to get other projects off the ground. I do feel for some of the local business, like Martini Hardware for example, that might seriously suffer.

Yes, traffic will be a MESS, and I think this will end with the property owners on the north side of Wayside giving up some land to allow for a dedicated turn lane. The revised drawings show two entrances off the feeder road, so that's an improvement.

There are reps from Idylwood and the city council getting ready to meet with Wal-Mart to start discussions on the impact to the neighborhood. Hopefully heads will stay cool and Wal-Mart will throw a bit of extra money for dense landscaping along the edge of the property that is closest to Sylvan Rd.

This will be at the intersection of a major freeway and major arterial road. You couldn't ask for a better site as far as capacity to handle traffic is concerned.

Yes I could. Not trying to be snarky but it sounds like you've never been caught in the snarl during prime time traffic around Wayside and 45.

I have a question about the traffic studies: Unless I misread the City's response to the proposed development, it sounded like traffic studies were recommended, but not mandatory. Is this really the case that you could plop down a big box store in a congested area without proving that you won't create gridlock? And if you will create gridlock, do you have to pay for the improvements?

Yes I could. Not trying to be snarky but it sounds like you've never been caught in the snarl during prime time traffic around Wayside and 45.

Given the general lack of commercial buildings in the area, I'm guessing it is nowhere near as harsh as say 610/westheimer at prime traffic time. And all major intersections have increased volume and potential for traffic during rush hour.

Any new construction project, commercial or retail will add a significant volume of vehicles. That's not to say it will increase dramatically the traffic( slowdown of vehicles) to a horrendous level though. Increase in volume of cars and potential increase of traffic are not reasons to stop all construction.

That intersection is much more well equipped to handle the increase in traffic as compared to any other East End intersection that isn't at 45.

Traffic arguments are the last refuge for those against a project for other reasons.

Archived