Free Trade Area of the Americas

lockmat

I'm really clueless to this subject but if this comes true for Houston and this marketer is correct, this could be HUGE if even HALF of his predictions are correct. Maybe some can fill in on the significance and/or background on this.

note: the article was written as if in the future.

Houston is in the running to be the headquarters of the Free Trade Area of the Americas, a proposed free trade zone that, if established, would dwarf the European Common Market. George Marshall Worthington images what Houston would look like in 2050 if it was home to the FTAA Secretariat.

Benefits include more than $13 billion a year in direct expenditures and over 190,000 jobs.

The FTAA brings in another $15 billion annually to Houston by drawing business travelers and generating support services.

Above all, it has brought unparalleled international prestige to Houston — much as Brussels gained as the heart of the European Union (EU).

Also, I don't know when a decision is to be made about this but the website seems very outdated.

Free Trade Area of the Americas website: http://www.ftaa-alca.org/alca_e.asp

I'm really clueless to this subject but if this comes true for Houston and this marketer is correct, this could be HUGE if even HALF of his predictions are correct. Maybe some can fill in on the significance and/or background on this.

note: the article was written as if in the future.

Also, I don't know when a decision is to be made about this but the website seems very outdated.

Free Trade Area of the Americas website: http://www.ftaa-alca.org/alca_e.asp

Would be nice, but the FTAA ain't happening, so it's not relevant.

It does seem quite outdated. The term "European Common Market" was superseded back in the early 1990s I believe. If something like this were to ever happen it would of course be nice to have Houston as the seat, but that said, being the "heart of the European Union" hasn't quite brought Brussels "unparalleled international prestige", so it's hard to believe that a free trade zone would either.

Why does he think Houston would be the headquarters of such a zone? I would suspect a more likely candidate would be a city in a smaller country. Montevideo anyone?

I think I remember reading something about this a few years back. It implied Miami had a lock on the HQ (if it ever happens) because every airline in the Americas has nonstop flights to Miami (including most of the Caribbean islands), and there are substantial native communities there from pretty much every country in the Americas. I think Houston could make a good case, but it would be hard to overcome Miami's inherent advantages...

I don't forsee this happening anytime in the near future, because it would convey too much benefit to countries where there is an active opposition to US policies. It is much more likely that there will continue to be targeted agreements with individual countries in Central/South America as there have been in the past and those type of agreements don't require a consolidated "headquarters". If anything, the focus of current US policy is to enhance our relationships in Asia (specifically South Korea).

I'm a free trade advocate, but the current unrest in Mexico (in spite of the NAFTA agreement) makes a pretty powerful argument for those who are opposed to extending this to Latin America.

How do the troubles in Mexico argue against free trade?

Mexico has had free trade with the US since 1988 as a result of the NAFTA agreement. Trade agreements are tied to encouraging political stability as much as they are tied to economic growth. Altough I think it's reasonable to argue that political stability has increased in Mexico during the last twenty years that the agreement has been in place, it's hard to make that argument now when there is as much unrest as currently exists there.

Archived