Building an addition without a permit

Okay. Okay. I know. I should have known better, but I've been contemplating adding a room to my itty-bitty house (pier and beam) for a while. Due to work being crazy (and me needing to be in Austin for the next five months), my unemployed sister moving in to go to school and take care of my dogs, I just said, "Yes," when someone I know said they knew someone.....

Well, I got caught. I'm pretty sure a neighbor called on me.

But now I'm totally confused as to what I do.

I need to get permits, of course, but I need to all the "stuff"...but since we already started to build the room, I am totally lost as to what to do next. It literally is adding on a tiny room (13 x 14)...however, since it follows the line of the existing wall of my house, I need a firewall on one side.

Anyone know of someone who can help do all the plans and stuff that I can take to get a permit?

I'm just overwhelmed...and don't even know what to ask for, what to do...and now that the darn thing is somewhat built,...how does all that work? (We have the foundation...which I think needs to redone since they used 2 inch thick concrete blocks and i read somewhere that only 4 inch can be used)....so just....lost.

HELP!

Okay. Okay. I know. I should have known better, but I've been contemplating adding a room to my itty-bitty house (pier and beam) for a while. Due to work being crazy (and me needing to be in Austin for the next five months), my unemployed sister moving in to go to school and take care of my dogs, I just said, "Yes," when someone I know said they knew someone.....

Well, I got caught. I'm pretty sure a neighbor called on me.

But now I'm totally confused as to what I do.

I need to get permits, of course, but I need to all the "stuff"...but since we already started to build the room, I am totally lost as to what to do next. It literally is adding on a tiny room (13 x 14)...however, since it follows the line of the existing wall of my house, I need a firewall on one side.

Anyone know of someone who can help do all the plans and stuff that I can take to get a permit?

I'm just overwhelmed...and don't even know what to ask for, what to do...and now that the darn thing is somewhat built,...how does all that work? (We have the foundation...which I think needs to redone since they used 2 inch thick concrete blocks and i read somewhere that only 4 inch can be used)....so just....lost.

HELP!

I dont know how to help you, but the city inspectors in the heights drive the neighborhood daily, and they actively police permit violations....I mean very actively...your neighbors could have turned you in, but its likely you were just caught by the inspectors.

They red tag ALL work they see except for painting, then you have to go prove you either didnt need a permit, or get one...

I remodeled an old tear down several years ago, and they red tagged me for several things I did not need permits on...its frustrating...it takes time, and you either need to get a GC who knows how to navigate them, or you have to go do it all yourself during their very inconvenient business hours, and be available for inspections in 4 hour windows. If you get a nice inspector he will give you a call and a heads up, but that is more the exception than the rule.

Archived