1111 Studewood Place

maggie

I don't think it is remediation, either, since there are already some support columns being poured in the hole. Remediation is generally conducted prior to any construction. I am not an expert, but it looks to be simply the foundation and lower level being built.

For those who have not seen the hole, it is a square hole taking up most of the lot, and about 12 to 15 feet deep. There are what appear to be several columns under construction within the depression.

The net result would be that the site is remediated, but that is not the way it is normally done. The reason is that the contaminated soil must be disposed of properly, and it would be very expensive to dispose of an entire block 12 feet deep if it didn't all need to be remediated.

The net result would be that the site is remediated, but that is not the way it is normally done. The reason is that the contaminated soil must be disposed of properly, and it would be very expensive to dispose of an entire block 12 feet deep if it didn't all need to be remediated.

So they dug all the dirt out, technically making the site itself remediated but there is doubt that they disposed of it properly?

No, I'm not suggesting that anything was done improperly. Imagine a lot that is 50,000 square feet in size. Now, imagine that the previous dry cleaner used to dispose of its toxic chemicals out the back door. The chemicals drained outward, taking up an area of 100 square feet. They also seeped downward for 10 feet. The other 49,900 square feet of the lot is not contaminated. Therefore, remediation is only required on the 100 square feet of contaminated soil, down to a depth of 10 feet. So, 1000 cubic feet of soil must be removed and taken to a toxic disposal site. This would be much less expensive than taking 500,000 cubic feet to a toxic disposal site. The other 499,000 cubic feet of soil can be taken anywhere. It could even be sold to someone who needs dirt to fill in a low spot on their land. Since it is not contaminated, it is far less expensive to dispose of that soil than the contaminated soil.

When remediation is done, the soil is tested, and only the contaminated soil is removed, plus a little extra for good measure. Then the soil is retested to make sure the contamination is gone. Then the site is declared remediated, or clean. Once it is clean, no more testing or supervision is required. This is all done prior to any construction or dirt removal. In fact, I do not believe construction permits can even be issued on a site that requires remediation. It is very unlikely that the entire site had to be remediated to a depth of 12-15 feet, the size of that hole. It is also unlikely that they would be pouring support columns if the site was undergoing remediation. Since actual construction appears to be occurring, it appears to me that either remediation has already occurred, or testing showed remediation was not required.

Iam basing this on what I know in general about remediation, not any specific knowledge of this site.

... and it would be very expensive to dispose of an entire block 12 feet deep if it didn't all need to be remediated.

It's only expensive if you have to pay for it. The DCRP provides up to $5mm from the state to dig your foundation, er, I mean remediate your site.....not that a developer would take undue advantage of free money or anything. In any case, from the looks of it we don't have to worry about perc anymore, or that nasty lot.

is it possible that they took core samples at the beginning to better understand what needed to be disposed of appropriately or not?

I believe there is a $5,000 fee to register your site with the DCRP which is deductible against assessment costs. I would think coring is mandatory to asses perc contamination since perc tends to head for the water table instead of leach to surface.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

just curious if anyone has any update on this site. They are making huge progress. The big hole they dug is all walled with concrete, a visible paring garage ramp in the back, a big crane, and several pillars sticking out.

Really curious what this thing will wind up being.

Looks like Nancy scooped the HAIFers and Swamplot. First time I can remember that happening in awhile.

1111 Studewood. Says is under construction. 6 floors. 2 underground parking levels for residents. 9,000 sq feet of ground floor retail. floors 2-3 retail parking. floors 4-6 will contain 20 condos. Roof top pool and summer kitchen with downtown views.

Studewood.jpg

• Like 1

Swamplot has something on the design for this spot. Looks pretty cool, hope they keep the rooftop pool.

http://swamplot.com/...-03/#more-29399

http://blog.chron.com/primeproperty/2011/06/heights-building-to-have-retail-and-condos/

According to this, the roof top pool is included with an outdoor kitchen. Developers claim that the architecture is supposed to look like a conversion of a historic warehouse. Hard to tell from the computer graphic what the detailing will be like. At least it looks like there is a good set back, leaving room for outdoor seating for a restaurant.

• Like 1

http://blog.chron.com/primeproperty/2011/06/heights-building-to-have-retail-and-condos/

According to this, the roof top pool is included with an outdoor kitchen. Developers claim that the architecture is supposed to look like a conversion of a historic warehouse. Hard to tell from the computer graphic what the detailing will be like. At least it looks like there is a good set back, leaving room for outdoor seating for a restaurant.

Not exactly a gem, but it seems inoffensive enough. I'm curious how the 2nd and 3rd parking levels will look from the street. From the computer graphic there appear to be dark gray windows.

Edited by barracuda

How long until one of the residents of the $400,000 lofts complains about the grilled burger smell from Someburger and they have to close? Don't mess with my Someburger!

Why would anyone complain about the sweet smell of ground beef? Anyway, they griddle, not grill, so it doesn't smell quite as much or as good.

I have been trying to reconcile that rendering with the actual construction. I live a couple blocks away and, as of now, I just can't see how they are going to fit any kind of ample patio (like bigger than 4 cafe tables) off the side of that building. It may take some of the machinery vacating the location for it to come in to focus.

Also, did anyone else get the impression from the Swamplot post that most of the renderings they have on the architect's site are NOT what the building is going to have to be because they had budget issues?