402 E. 25th St.

theoriginalkj

Greetings,

I'm buying a home in the Houston Heights, at the south-east corner of 25th & Arlington, that was built in 1957 as an automobile repair shop. It's been hollowed out and converted into a loft style 2 bedroom home. I'm looking to see if anyone with resources into some historical documents can tell me what was the name of the automobile repair shop that was in this building back then. HCAD only has the ownership back to 1988 and I obviously want way before this. Any chance of some photo collection having a photo of this building? Any survey maps anyone can find would be appreciated as well...

Kevin

The earliest mention I can easily find on the Harris County Clerk's site is someone name Evelyn Baker Harris, who shows up with a lien release in 1972. You may have to go to the courthouse, or ask your title company for an abstract.I'm assuming you are talking about 402 E 25th.

The earliest mention I can easily find on the Harris County Clerk's site is someone name Evelyn Baker Harris, who shows up with a lien release in 1972. You may have to go to the courthouse, or ask your title company for an abstract.I'm assuming you are talking about 402 E 25th.

That same Evelyn Baker Harris had a contract of some sort with "certified bldr" in 1969 for the same property. Then Mary Evelyn H.(arris) Burke, the owner of record in 1988, acquired it from Evelyn Baker Harris in 1977.

Perhaps someone with old city phone directories will show up with additional information.

Yes, I am referring to 402 E 25th. I'm hoping to get some info on it's past. Who wouldn't, if they knew that it WAS a business previously...

• 2 months later...

Ok. So, I'm living in the 25th and Arlington house now and I received a letter in the mail today for a "J R Whitson Small Eng Rep". I knew that the home was either an auto repair shop or a small engine repair shop, but wasn't sure and didn't know the name. This confirms it. Does someone on this forum have any info on this and can give any business info?

• The title was changed to Houston Heights - 25th & Arlington Info Desired
  • The title was changed to 402 E. 25th St.

Archived