Hotel Icon At 220 Main St.

WestGrayGuy

While riding the light rail for the first time yesterday, I had to use the bathroom. So I decided to check out the Hotel Icon's bathroom. Man was it nice. It even had special paper towels with their logo printed on them to wipe your hands. The restuarant downstairs .... quite impressive, Bank by Jean Georges. Go check it out.

Hotel Icon

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headli...iz/4267211.html

by nancy sarnoff?

The Icon's room rates, which now hover in the $180 per night range, will increase as service and demand improves, said Charlie Peck, president and chief operating officer for Destination Hotels & Resorts, a Lowe affiliate that will take over management of the hotel.

"I think the rates will definitely be higher when we feel like we've earned our place in the market," Peck said.

The hotel's up for sale, too. The whole thing may not make it. Too bad. It was iconic (pun intended) for the revitalization of downtown.

It was actually purchased by Destination Hotels and Resorts (division of Lowe's Hotels) who owns The Driskill Hotel in Austin and several others across the country.

Speaking of Restrooms... The Magnolia has some nice ones! When one must pee downtown, I recommend the Magnolia ;)

Yeah, the administrative staff that comes in from New York to get trained at Houston's headquarters stay at the Magnolia. The girls rave about those nice bathrooms over there. Coming from New York (you know how big those bathrooms up there are or shall I say how small), it is no wonder they love the Magnolia. B)

Don't worry, Dal still holds the crown by an infanite margin.

I was just referencing the "homophobic landscapers" thread, where someone came on out of the blue and stated the obvious. A poster referred to her as a "douche bag" and it caused a stir. Sorry to cause any confusion. I was just trying to be funny.

Montrose, I know you probably think I'm the king of all douche bags, So I will extend to you the same apology I have given to everyone else here I've offended in the past. I have already on several occasions attempted to approach you with kindness, to no avail. I have overlooked your very rude posts to me in the past and have avoided antagonizing you in any way for probably over a year now. Why you would feel the need to chime in with something like this is strange, but not unexpected, I guess. Thanks for unneccessarily stirring up some bad feelings.

The hotel's up for sale, too. The whole thing may not make it. Too bad. It was iconic (pun intended) for the revitalization of downtown.

Oh, yes, Hotel Icon is here to stay. Changing owners is a good thing. According to this report on Houston's HOT restaurant scene, our economy is raging. Money flowing. Jeez, it reminds me of the 70s. Except we were thinking $30 per barrel of oil and now it is $70. B)

Haute Houston

Edited by houstonfella

You've not peed properly unless you've peed next to a stop sign under the moon and stars. But if Tex is man enough to try it, so will I.

Hopefully on your way to Austin from Houston or vice versa.......it is always good on a 290 road trip! :D

Dal,

Some people are thin-skinned while others posses skin of concrete. However, if you've offended anyone in the past and have apologized, then that's all you can do. Not that I have any inkling of any personal squabbles you might be having but just making a general statement.

The problem with the internet, and specifically with message boards, is that it is often difficult to gauge when someone's being playful or to determine what type of sense of humor a particular person may have. You do the best you can.

That said, you're a douche. ;)

Edited by The Great Hizzy!

Dal,

Some people are thin-skinned while others posses skin of concrete. However, if you've offended anyone in the past and have apologized, then that's all you can do. Not that I have any inkling of any personal squabbles you might be having but just making a general statement.

The problem with the internet, and specifically with message boards, is that it is often difficult to gauge when someone's being playful or to determine what type of sense of humor a particular person may have. You do the best you can.

That said, you're a douche. ;)

Finally somebody gets me. I was beginning to think this whole place was populated by people who didn't get when someone was just having a little fun with them. There are far too many overeactions played out on this board.

Douchebag.

• 4 years later...

http://www.bizjourna...-slam-dunk.html

Magic Johnson and his new investment partner plan on turning the Hotel Icon Downtown into either a W Hotel or Ritz Carlton (within the next 45 days). Just in time for the Final Four this April, too.

I can't really see a W or a Ritz Carlton going in that building unless they do a complete rennovation and building conversion. This is great news nonetheless!

I can't really see a W or a Ritz Carlton going in that building unless they do a complete rennovation and building conversion. This is great news nonetheless!

It could be a W ... the NY Union Square and French Quarter locations are both renovated historic buildings. (I'm just assuming that your reservations are based on its more common image of being a more sleek and modern hotel chain)