Spring Branch ISD

73Hornet

We moved to Bellaire to take advantage of HISD's "Exemplary" schools. Our son is in 1st grade at Horn Elementary, and we are having serious doubts about how "Exemplary" the school really is compared to Spring Branch ISD schools. Our biggest concern is the complete lack of adult supervision at drop-off and pick-up. The campus is a total zoo as the rude parents park in "No Parking" zones, speed, etc. in their race to get on to who-knows-where. I am getting no support from our principal as far as even acknowledging that this is a problem and potential liability. To me, knowing that my child is safe while at school (including the 10 minutes immediately before and after) is non-negotiable. The few other parents supporting our quest for safety have suggested that the principal make it part of the teachers' job description to help supervise the drop-off and pick-up on a rotating basis. Her response was that "they will never go for it..." We even suggested paying them a stipend if we had to go that far. Who is the leader here? I have had more support from principals at surrounding schools than at Horn.

Also, if this is how the administration acts regarding something as important as safety, what am I to expect when my child has an academic concern in the future? Furthermore, we have four children. So, we are talking about 10 more years dealing with these problems. We are seriously considering moving to Memorial over the summer. I need some input from those who have been in the same situation. Has anyone pulled their child out of HISD and transferred to Spring Branch ISD? Private school is not an option for us. We will be looking at homes zoned to Rummel Creek or Wilchester. Are they really that much better academically than, say, an "Exemplary" school in HISD? Or, is SBISD overrated? This is a big (and costly) decision for us. I want to be sure that we may not be better off just staying put. But, I also have concerns about Pershing Middle School. Any feedback is appreciated.

We moved to Bellaire to take advantage of HISD's "Exemplary" schools. Our son is in 1st grade at Horn Elementary, and we are having serious doubts about how "Exemplary" the school really is compared to Spring Branch ISD schools. Our biggest concern is the complete lack of adult supervision at drop-off and pick-up. The campus is a total zoo as the rude parents park in "No Parking" zones, speed, etc. in their race to get on to who-knows-where. I am getting no support from our principal as far as even acknowledging that this is a problem and potential liability. To me, knowing that my child is safe while at school (including the 10 minutes immediately before and after) is non-negotiable. The few other parents supporting our quest for safety have suggested that the principal make it part of the teachers' job description to help supervise the drop-off and pick-up on a rotating basis. Her response was that "they will never go for it..." We even suggested paying them a stipend if we had to go that far. Who is the leader here? I have had more support from principals at surrounding schools than at Horn.

Also, if this is how the administration acts regarding something as important as safety, what am I to expect when my child has an academic concern in the future? Furthermore, we have four children. So, we are talking about 10 more years dealing with these problems. We are seriously considering moving to Memorial over the summer. I need some input from those who have been in the same situation. Has anyone pulled their child out of HISD and transferred to Spring Branch ISD? Private school is not an option for us. We will be looking at homes zoned to Rummel Creek or Wilchester. Are they really that much better academically than, say, an "Exemplary" school in HISD? Or, is SBISD overrated? This is a big (and costly) decision for us. I want to be sure that we may not be better off just staying put. But, I also have concerns about Pershing Middle School. Any feedback is appreciated.

We moved from Tanglewood and HISD Briargrove Elem. to the The Woodlands CISD in search of the "Exemplary" public education. Actually, I thought HISD Briargrove was a little stronger than what we got up there. We moved back to Houston to West Memorial and SBISD but enrolled in private. The education we are getting at St. Francis is LIGHT YEARS ahead of the "Exemplary" education. Even the GT programs were flat. My sons are learning things about everything, not just how to pass a TAKS test and fill in a bubble. I know several parents that have moved from SBISD Hunters Creek "Exemplary" school to St. Francis and they are struggling to catch up also.

So my answer is no, they are about the same education. Socially, I do think they are different. SBISD does have more "specials," ie. art, pe, music. I don't know about the parental involvement at your school, but SBISD is known to have terrific PTOs, and that can make a great school regaurdless of rating. The parents around here rave about Wilchester and Rummel Creek, as well as Meadow Wood, so that is a good promotion. Personally I love the Memorial area over Bellaire, as well as the High Schools. Our guys will probably switch over to Stratford when the time comes.

PS- Exemplary means to me that the school has spoon fed the kids on how to pass the TAKS. Pure and simple. They spend HOURS a week on TAKS passages. The rating has nothing to do with the true education. In fact, I'd rather go to a school rated Recognized over Exemplary just because of that fact.

^ I think that it pretty much on target - exemplary=TAKS consumed.

I went to Horn for elementary school, and it has of course changed over the years - from a brief chat with someone with a child currently attending Horn, the education is on par with any other decent school, but there is general decline in arts/music/extras that is widespread in all public schools.

as far as the parental rudeness, i was told that it is mostly along Avenue B and that Holly St. is a much better option. this is also a change from what i remember, but Bellaire has changed (for the worse, imo) since then, too.

The funny thing is that when I went to River Oaks (fall 1997-spring 2000), I do not particularly remember a lot of "TAKS" preparation - I remember not worrying about the TAKS at all. In fact, I kinda liked those test days since they were easy. Stanford was easy too.

In the 4th grade, for instance, I remembered having a speech about some place in Central America that received TV from Colorado and writing a story from an opening sentence.

River Oaks consistently received either "Exemplary" or "Recognized" distinctions, but I do not remember a lot of TAKS prepration. IMO, that is the ideal situation of a school; little TAKS preparation (since the TAKS is meant to cover basics) AND good scores.

The funny thing is that when I went to River Oaks (fall 1997-spring 2000), I do not particularly remember a lot of "TAKS" preparation - I remember not worrying about the TAKS at all. In fact, I kinda liked those test days since they were easy. Stanford was easy too.

In the 4th grade, for instance, I remembered having a speech about some place in Central America that received TV from Colorado and writing a story from an opening sentence.

River Oaks consistently received either "Exemplary" or "Recognized" distinctions, but I do not remember a lot of TAKS prepration. IMO, that is the ideal situation of a school; little TAKS preparation (since the TAKS is meant to cover basics) AND good scores.

VIC, the TAKS test has become a monster in the past 5 years. Its importance and the benefits given to schools with good results has become the forefront of public education in Texas. The TAKS didn't exist before 2003, but it quickly it became all important in Texas education and gave the government the power to dictate what happened to a school and to a child.

So yeah, you wouldn't have remembered the TAKS in 2000. You probably took the TAAS or TEKS, which didn't have the same ramifications as the TAKS. You're starting to show your age. ;)

Yeah - I'm 20 now, so I indeed must be showing my age :)

I kinda forgot it was called TAAS... man...

VIC, the TAKS test has become a monster in the past 5 years. Its importance and the benefits given to schools with good results has become the forefront of public education in Texas. The TAKS didn't exist before 2003, but it quickly it became all important in Texas education and gave the government the power to dictate what happened to a school and to a child.

So yeah, you wouldn't have remembered the TAKS in 2000. You probably took the TAAS or TEKS, which didn't have the same ramifications as the TAKS. You're starting to show your age. ;)

• 5 months later...

My youngest child is moving to the Spring Branch ISD area. They will be looking for an apartment in the area (1st job, just of of college). Please help us find a safe area with less crime. Any area's to avoid? Name of apartment complex's to avoid, really good ones??

thanks so much.

I think the list of complexes to consider would be much shorter than those to avoid.

my suggestion would be to look at the new complex on Bunker Hill. The name escapes me at the moment.

Do you have a budget? Sometimes renting a townhouse is almost a better deal than the apartments. More kid friendly too.

I think the list of complexes to consider would be much shorter than those to avoid.

my suggestion would be to look at the new complex on Bunker Hill. The name escapes me at the moment.

It is the Alexan at Bunker Hill. There are also some apartments off of Gaylord that are behind the Village Fire Department. I would stay away from anything north of Westview and West of Bunker Hill if you are looking on the north side of I-10.

Also, anything along Memorial Drive until you get to Dairy Ashford.

It is the Alexan at Bunker Hill. There are also some apartments off of Gaylord that are behind the Village Fire Department. I would stay away from anything north of Westview and West of Bunker Hill if you are looking on the north side of I-10.

Also, anything along Memorial Drive until you get to Dairy Ashford.

I must add that the Alexan at Bunker Hill, in Houston, is zoned to:

*Woodview Elementary School

*Spring Branch Middle School

*Spring Woods High School

Do you have a budget? Sometimes renting a townhouse is almost a better deal than the apartments. More kid friendly too.

I do, however that's not a focus of mine as I've been out of college for about seven years now. And I own a home. But I do agree with you.

I do, however that's not a focus of mine as I've been out of college for about seven years now. And I own a home. But I do agree with you.

Cute Ducks...

To the thread starter:

I would try to hit south of I-10. West of the Beltway is Rummel Creek, Wilchester and Meadow wood all excellent. There are Alexan Memorial Bend apartments, Memorial Townhouses, Georgetown, Nottingham Forest Townhomes. East of the Beltway would be Frostwood. There are The Pines, Ethan's Glen, Somerset and some places down on Tallowood.

Hudson Oaks is another good townhouse complex, zoned to Bunker Hill. Since I don't know your budget I'm throwing things out there.

Har.com has a townhouse lease search. You may want to look at that.

There are apartment off Intercontinental that are zoned to Hunters Creek, but I know nothing about them.

North of I-10, aim for Valley Oaks Elem.

Thanks so much for all the good advice. I will pass it on to my son. He is on a budget, he just graduated from college. He would like to stay in the $800.00 a month range, the lower the better. As a Mom my main concern is a safe area thats low in crime.

thanks everybody!

• 2 years later...

We've done some quick searching for preschool and toddler day care in the area around BW8 and I-10, but so far most are either crazy expensive or have pathetic hours like 3 days/wk from 9-12. Ideally we would want something that spans what a typical school day is. Any recommendations or advice?

Thanks in advance!

Check out Memorial Drive United Methodist - they have 5 day/week programs including "extended care" which will go through the work day. They are very near Beltway 8 on Memorial.

I agree with the above recommendation. They have a good program.

In the immediate I-10 and Beltway area we considered MDUMC and Fair Haven UMC on Gessner. There's also Creme de la Creme and Holy Spirit Episcopal both south of I-10 for a slightly higher price. Just outside the beltway there is Westwood Montessori. Moving in I-10 there is St. Christopher's on Blalock, Morning Glory Montessori and Kindercare both on Bunker Hill, Spring Branch Presbyterian Academy on Campbell, and Big Little School and School of the Woods Montessori on Wirt. Those are (mostly) only the places that take infants, full-time--as that was what I was researching for when I made my list. I'm sure there are other options because not everywhere takes little bitties. Also, I'm not recommending all of the above places, those are just the ones on my list.

Unfortunately, daycare/preschool options are far more abundant and cheaper in the suburbs. Full-time infant prices in this area range from $900 to $1200+, and frankly I toured some places where I wouldn't leave my dog. We pay right around $1000 for a one year old in a very good school. For a toddler I would expect to pay $800+. Hope this helps.

In the immediate I-10 and Beltway area we considered MDUMC and Fair Haven UMC on Gessner. There's also Creme de la Creme and Holy Spirit Episcopal both south of I-10 for a slightly higher price. Just outside the beltway there is Westwood Montessori. Moving in I-10 there is St. Christopher's on Blalock, Morning Glory Montessori and Kindercare both on Bunker Hill, Spring Branch Presbyterian Academy on Campbell, and Big Little School and School of the Woods Montessori on Wirt. Those are (mostly) only the places that take infants, full-time--as that was what I was researching for when I made my list. I'm sure there are other options because not everywhere takes little bitties. Also, I'm not recommending all of the above places, those are just the ones on my list.

Unfortunately, daycare/preschool options are far more abundant and cheaper in the suburbs. Full-time infant prices in this area range from $900 to $1200+, and frankly I toured some places where I wouldn't leave my dog. We pay right around $1000 for a one year old in a very good school. For a toddler I would expect to pay $800+. Hope this helps.

Thanks everyone, this does help. But, the prices we're finding hurt! We have some time to look, so we'll keep searching.

• 1 month later...
  • The title was changed to HISD Exemplary Schools Really As Good As Spring Branch ISD Schools?

Archived