KTRK ABC 13 New Opening Theme/Graphics?

Chris

I am and will always be a proud viewer of 13 Eyewitness News, but am I the only one who thinks they need to change their opening Theme and Graphics. They've had the generic "First in HD" opening since they debuted High Definition back in 2007. The Graphics and Music Package are great, all their graphics for that matter are tremendous. They just need a new opening with new graphics and narration without the "First in HD", everyone knows now they're HD, and plus all the other stations are now HD as well. They have everything else great anchors, reporters, producers,set, new newsroom, graphics, and music, now we just need a new opening for our newscast.

I think I asked something along this lines in another topic a few years ago.

The same thing happened when color was first introduced back in the late 60's and early 70's. Quite a few shows had "In color" at the end of their titles for quite some time. Don't know how long until the networks finally got over that.

I'm sure the same thing will be done, but maybe in a year or so.

• 2 months later...

I am and will always be a proud viewer of 13 Eyewitness News, but am I the only one who thinks they need to change their opening Theme and Graphics. They've had the generic "First in HD" opening since they debuted High Definition back in 2007. The Graphics and Music Package are great, all their graphics for that matter are tremendous. They just need a new opening with new graphics and narration without the "First in HD", everyone knows now they're HD, and plus all the other stations are now HD as well. They have everything else great anchors, reporters, producers,set, new newsroom, graphics, and music, now we just need a new opening for our newscast.

The word "first" has contextually sensitive meaning, however many viewers aren't going to pick up on that. Many viewers probably think that KTRK is ranked first, and that KTRK's HD is somehow better. Other viewers probably watch KTRK news habitually and don't realize that the other news programs have HD. (And who can blame them? HD is one of those technologies that you have to be familiar with and watching for in order to notice.)

What else where they going to advertise, anyway?

"Our Talent Montage is so awesome that we capitalize the first letters even though 'Talent Montage' is not a pronoun!"

"KTRK: vaguely fantastic for decades and decades!"

"We're a tsunami of media and Charlie Sheen rides us on his mercury surfboard."

"We don't usually interview people whose eyes have witnessed the news, but we certainly will interview the unemployable neighbor girl because we think that you'll either relate to her or think she's hot. And if that doesn't describe you, then we still don't care because you'll unquestioningly buy into the tradition that the phrase 'eyewitness news' represents! Chump."

"Breaking news! Pay attention because terrorists might've just beheaded your mom! We'll play some dramatic music first! Flashy effect in HD! Paris Hilton's dog has a cataract. Look! Isn't it cute?"

• 2 weeks later...

The word "first" has contextually sensitive meaning, however many viewers aren't going to pick up on that. Many viewers probably think that KTRK is ranked first, and that KTRK's HD is somehow better. Other viewers probably watch KTRK news habitually and don't realize that the other news programs have HD. (And who can blame them? HD is one of those technologies that you have to be familiar with and watching for in order to notice.)

What else where they going to advertise, anyway?

"Our Talent Montage is so awesome that we capitalize the first letters even though 'Talent Montage' is not a pronoun!"

"KTRK: vaguely fantastic for decades and decades!"

"We're a tsunami of media and Charlie Sheen rides us on his mercury surfboard."

"We don't usually interview people whose eyes have witnessed the news, but we certainly will interview the unemployable neighbor girl because we think that you'll either relate to her or think she's hot. And if that doesn't describe you, then we still don't care because you'll unquestioningly buy into the tradition that the phrase 'eyewitness news' represents! Chump."

"Breaking news! Pay attention because terrorists might've just beheaded your mom! We'll play some dramatic music first! Flashy effect in HD! Paris Hilton's dog has a cataract. Look! Isn't it cute?"

I love this so much it's not even funny.

The point was made earlier though that with any new or emerging technology, there's a desire to hype it for a few years as it becomes more and more standard. Color, stereo and even interactive elements (to a lesser extent) are good examples of this in terms of television anyway. Within the past few years both KHOU and KTRK had similar pronouncements about being "FIRST IN HD" during their news at the same time. Really, it's over the heads of most people and it's just another means of marketing your product and/or investments into your product.

Also, those graphics, sets, cameras and music aren't cheap. Add in talent salaries and yeah... you're going to need all of the taglines and gimmicks to convince advertisers to buy time on your channel(s).

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Ok, so it's time for the whole graphics package to be changed completely. KTRK has had these graphics since 2007. They are nice but it's time for a change in my opinion. Anyone know when they plan to change them?

• 5 months later...

Archived