Why Casual Visitors To Houston Area Skip Downtown

story in the chron.com today

From the article:

"a 37-year-old woman drove out of a private driveway on Fannin and collided with a southbound train. He said the woman was cited for failure to yield right of way."

The woman was cited for failure to yield right-of-way, but really, shouldn't it be the designers of the train who should be cited for incredibly poor design....

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I went to the Aquarium (much better than I expected) and then to a play at the alley yesterday (it was really packed, I guess because they have fewer showings when it is not during the regular season) and that was fun. And it didn't include a game or bars, but still Downtown does need more stuff to do.

Denver Colorado is a good blueprint on what i think what Houston should somewhat try to imitate. Inside the Denver Pavilions, there's much shopping and retail, multiple restaurants, and a bowling alley just opened in late 2004. I've been trying to understand on why Houston is so slow at these type of things. I think it has just as much potential.

Yes, unlike the suburbs which are a blast  ;)

I know. I love it when I try to do something simple like cross the street. Man the action is nonstop as long as the cars run red lights, soccer moms swerve in their 16-ton suv tanks and nearly roll over, or idiots disregard speed limits. Try crossing a 56 lane street just to get some milk. I guarantee you will have lots of action. You'll also have a blast driking 8 miles just to get to your house after you've exited the freeway.

So pack yourselves in the SUV and let's hit the suburbs! :)

Denver Colorado is a good blueprint on what i think what Houston should somewhat try to imitate. Inside the Denver Pavilions, there's much shopping and retail, multiple restaurants, and a bowling alley just opened in late 2004. I've been trying to understand on why Houston is so slow at these type of things. I think it has just as much potential.

Keep on reading other threads.....you'll find out about the Houston pavillions and the different problems people have getting projects off the ground in Houston.

I know. I love it when I try to do something simple like cross the street. Man the action is nonstop as long as the cars run red lights, soccer moms swerve in their 16-ton suv tanks and nearly roll over, or idiots disregard speed limits. Try crossing a 56 lane street just to get some milk. I guarantee you will have lots of action. You'll also have a blast driking 8 miles just to get to your house after you've exited the freeway.

So pack yourselves in the SUV and let's hit the suburbs! :)

Well, if your idea of fun is going to the bodega across the street to get some milk - then you're more stiff than a steel beam.

Besides, this topic about why people skip downtown. Why would visitors go downtown for milk? Even more so, why would you imply that visitors go to the suburbs? You didn't? But yes - you DID.

Maybe the forum question needs to be further defined. Are these visitors from out of town, or are they local?

Don't turn this into a inner-loop versus suburbia bashing thread. We already have 3 or 4 of them going.

Well, if your idea of fun is going to the bodega across the street to get some milk - then you're more stiff than a steel beam.

Besides, this topic about why people skip downtown. Why would visitors go downtown for milk? Even more so, why would imply that visitors go to the suburbs? You didn't? But yes - you DID.

Maybe the forum question needs to be further defined. Are these visitors from out of town, or are they local?

Don't turn this into a inner-loop versus suburbia bashing thread. We already have 3 or 4 of them going.

Uh... I was kidding. It's a little farce... relax. ;)

I don't know what an article about Metrrail having 3 accidents has to do with visitors in downtown, but this thread assumes that casual visitors skip downtown. I disagree with that premise. Today, I saw numerous people walking the streets, enjoying the sights. It is a smaller number during the hot summer than during the fall and spring, but they are there.

In contrast, most everyone I see in the Galleria is there to shop, not casually stroll the area. If your definition of a casual visitor includes shoppers, then you may have a point.

Guest danax
None of these people were visitors. I don't think that's why people skip downtown. They skip downtown, because unless you're going to a sports game, or a bar - its boring.

Walking the tunnels to have lunch at Ninfa's underground is boring too.

One of the best reasons to go Downtown, for me, is to walk the streets. So many interesting things that you'd never notice from a car. 100+ years of architecture up close. The skyline is one thing, but getting close to the buildings and noticing the details is another.

Downtown is absolutely full of interesting sights, it's just that our minds are too fast and full to see sometimes.

Well I got up super early one Sunday morning and went downtown to just check it out , no traffic and great arhitecture , lots of new art as well . Looks like lots of work is going on to update the area . So take a look before its finished then you can marvel at what has been done on your next trip.

When downtown has more casual destinations, it will see a surge in casual visitors, as well. The new park will draw people to look at it and play in it. Buffalo Bayou should really increase the traffic with its many planned recreational attractions.

The park is planned for a couple of years from now, and the bayou is in progress now, though it is currently getting mostly cycling and walking paths.

""a 37-year-old woman drove out of a private driveway on Fannin and collided with a southbound train. He said the woman was cited for failure to yield right of way."

The woman was cited for failure to yield right-of-way, but really, shouldn't it be the designers of the train who should be cited for incredibly poor design...."

If she was backing out trying to go left, she should have made a right and then made two more right turns to go left instead of trying to go left by backing out over the tracks..

If I was a tourist coming to Houston, I'd probably want to stay downtown. Some of the hotels are quite nice with excellent weekend rates and great restaurants and theaters within walking distance. And of course you can hop the rail line for a two buck daypass and hit Hermann Park and the museums, which to me are top attractions.

But then, when I'm on vacation in a major city I always try to stay downtown and ride public transit. But I know there are a lot of others who feel the same way, because I've encountered them downtown and on the rail line on weekends.

Downtown may not appeal to all of Houston's tourists, especially those who think the only things to do are the Galleria and the Woodlands. But for tourists who want a little culture, it's a great place to stay.

I was riding a friend around who's from Philly the other day. He came down to visit me. I showed him all different parts of Houston but i didn't get a chance to show him how live Main St. can get on weekend nights. I drove him thru downtown, uptown, greenway and the Woodlands to Clear Lake areas.

He said that he liked Houston overall but he said, "Your guy's downtown is a little broke down." He stated that Uptown Houston should be considered the downtown because downtown seems like it's in the shadow of Uptown. I tried pumping up my city by saying, "Wait until Friday and Saturday nights and see Main St." But even Main St's vibrancy and energy is inconsistant and isn't always what i consider to be a happening place.

Does anyone else agree with his reference to downtown as "broke down"?

If he had seen it 5 or 6 years ago he would've been in tears. But right now, i'm not really seeing our downtown as a place that's booming right now. It seems that there's so many stalled projects and no new things seem to be happening that makes me feel that downtown is a little stagnant.

I was riding a friend around who's from Philly the other day. He came down to visit me. I showed him all different parts of Houston but i didn't get a chance to show him how live Main St. can get on weekend nights. I drove him thru downtown, uptown, greenway and the Woodlands to Clear Lake areas.

He said that he liked Houston overall but he said, "Your guy's downtown is a little broke down." He stated that Uptown Houston should be considered the downtown because downtown seems like it's in the shadow of Uptown. I tried pumping up my city by saying, "Wait until Friday and Saturday nights and see Main St." But even Main St's vibrancy and energy is inconsistant and isn't always what i consider to be a happening place.

Does anyone else agree with his reference to downtown as "broke down"?

If he had seen it 5 or 6 years ago he would've been in tears. But right now, i'm not really seeing our downtown as a place that's booming right now. It seems that there's so many stalled projects and no new things seem to be happening that makes me feel that downtown is a little stagnant.

A guy from Philly says our downtown is broke down? :lol::lol::lol:

I think the problem with downtown is that it's probably 5-10 degrees hotter there than anywhere else in the city. Think about it - everything is paved, there are tons of vehicles and buses, there are vents pumping hot air out of the tunnels, and there is very little shade. This is why I think when you walk around downtown on a given day you get that sort of anxious, uncomfortable feel. Also the heat exacerbates the garbage smell (really noticeable in summer), and the hard environment makes for a lot of noise. Market Square is not much help - what a sorry park. Hopefully as the trees we've planted over the last few years slowly mature, things will get better.

The heat, and garbage is not the problem. Take a look at New Orleans for crying out loud.

One person mention that downtown is overshadowed by uptown. Yes, this is true. Uptown is twice as vibrant then downtown right now, and still building. I love uptown, cause things there stays going almost 24hrs. Downtown is shut down at 6-7pm on weekdays, and 12-2am on weekends.

I probably will take a vistor to uptown, memorial city, katy, woodlands, even Pearland first then downtown.

You'd take an out of town guest to Pearland, Katy, or Memorial City before downtown? Are you kidding me?

Let's see, in the burbs, your guest can stay at a LaQuinta or a Motel 6.

In downtown, they can try a boutiue hotel like the Icon or Sam Houston.

In the burbs, you can hop in your car and drive 5 miles to some chain restaurant and then hop back in the car and drive 5 more miles to a movie theatre.

In downtown, you can walk out the door of your hotel and hit any of the new bistros near Market Square and then take a leisurely stroll to catch a film at the Angelica.

In the burbs, you might be able to find a play or concert at a high school or church somewhere.

In downtown, you can catch a concert at the Verizon Wireless, a play at the award winning Alley, a broadway tour show at the Hobby, a concert at Jones Hall, an opera at the Wortham, etc...

In the burbs, you can watch a baseball, basketball or hockey game on tv.

In downtown, you can walk to Minute Maid and the Toyota Center.

In the burbs, you can hop in your car and hit various nightclubs and then worry about driving drunk to get home.

In downtown, you can stroll to LaCarafe, housed in the oldest commercial building in Houston, hit some trendy nightclub, dance all night, etc... and then hit the streets at closing and walk back to your hotel.

In the burbs, you can hop in your car and drive to the Museum District, Hermann Park, Reliant Stadium, the TMC or Astroworld.

In downtown, you can hop on the rail and hit all those same venues.

In the burbs, you can drive downtown to go to the Aquarium.

In downtown, you are already there.

In downtown..

In the burbs..

I'm in no way defending houstonsemipro, as I like to take people downtown as often as possible - but at the same time, not all burbs were created equal.

Sugarland Town Center, Woodlands Town Square, and Kemah Boardwalk are 3 suburbian destinations that pack more than chain restuarants (Chili's, TGIF, Applebees, or Black Eyed Pea) and lower end motels.

These areas offer unique dining, 3 star accomdations and are sometimes actually more convientent for the out of towner.

Another area is Westchase. I know I harp on it as the "next Uptown", but it really has a lot going. Just for kicks, go hang out in the Hilton or Marriot's bar & lounge area of Briarpark - they're both usually packed with conventioneers, out of towners, business people, and family visitors. You always see large groups walking from the hotels to the sadly under-developed Carillion center. Once West 8 gets off the ground, Westchase will be able to further cement itself.

I'm not saying for one second that these areas are better than the sights seen downtown, but rather that they may be more convienent and just as satisfactory for certain travelers from out of town. I say this, because even as a Houstonian, I still find going downtown to be an awkward experience when dealing with things like limited dining (locations and hours), event ticket pre-purchasing, PARKING (for a downtown with endless lots - they are always conveinently full, closed, or merely 10+ dollars just to park), and limited venue flexibility (dates & hours).

The sad truth is that our downtown isn't even Houstonian friendly - so its no guess as to why visitors are far and few in between.

The heat, and garbage is not the problem. Take a look at New Orleans for crying out loud.

One person mention that downtown is overshadowed by uptown. Yes, this is true. Uptown is twice as vibrant then downtown right now, and still building. I love uptown, cause things there stays going almost 24hrs. Downtown is shut down at 6-7pm on weekdays, and 12-2am on weekends.

I probably will take a vistor to uptown, memorial city, katy, woodlands, even Pearland first then downtown.

New Orleans has amenities that make up for it. You can't really compare the two. I am comparing downtown Houston to other parts of Houston. It is noisier, hotter, and smellier, and I think this is a psychological factor as to why people tend to stay away. If you could take every attraction in the French Quarter and stick it downtown magically overnight, then people would go and forget about the heat, but when you are starting from scratch, it is hard to get people over that barrier.

Archived