Renamed And Closed Roads

IronTiger

It's always fascinated me that some roads in Houston are simply closed off or renamed.

Specifically, there's this one road in Cypress area: it was demolished for a bike path when the new subdivision was built in the mid-2000s.

29.956403,-95.722429

I'm sure there are others that were demolished or renamed. What do you think?

Oh hey, I just remembered I had a 1976 atlas showing Houston street names. A subdivision road in Spring Valley was obliterated for the I-10 expansion was called Bunningham Rd. (it's still on Google Maps as the frontage road title).

Jackrabbit Lane was the informal name for FM 1960.

The one I was thinking of the first post is still Horse & Hahl Road (it was just truncated).

Interestingly, within a mile, there was a private airfield (Josey Ranch...go to Cottage Cypress Road in Houston and go back to '78).

There's been a topic on this before - but that's OK, it's an interesting topic.

Veterans Memorial used to be Stuebener Airline, meaning Stuebner Airline ran from the North Freeway all the way to near the county line. Now it's just from FM 1960 north.

Airline used to be East Montgomery Road. It also used to be U.S. Highway 75 eons ago, until that designation was switched to North Shepherd.

Aldine-Bender west of the Hardy Toll Road used to once be called just Aldine Road, as it was the road that went to Aldine from U.S. 75. Aldine-Bender was the road that went from Aldine to U.S. 59.

West Mount Houston west of I-45 used to be called Airline Link Road.

Sweetwater Drive in North Houston used to be called Hacker Road.

Not a complete name change, but I remember when I was a kid the exit signs for Little York on the North Freeway said Little York School Road. Anyone know what that was about?

Out west, near where I live now, Harwin used to be called Alief-Houston Road (some machine shop still has a sign out front with that street name).

Part of Briar Forest from Dairy Ashford to Highway 6 was called Goar Road (there's still a tiny sliver of Goar left just north of a curve on Briar Forest).

Not as much a name change as a complete replacement, the West Belt was Roark Road before the West Belt was built.

Not sure if this is still the case, or if anything official ever happened changing or ending this, but parts of FM 1960 and Highway 6 used to have differing names, depending on what part you were on. Maybe the names are still used, I don't know. East of the Hardy Toll Road, FM 1960 was Humble-Westfield Road. Then it became Humble-Atascosita Road east of U.S. 59. The part where FM 1960 crosses I-45 was once called Bammel-Westfield; another part was Jackrabbit Road to U.S. 290. Highway 6 south to I-10 was once called Addicks-Satsuma Road.

I believe "Outer Belt" became "MacGregor" became "Cambridge" next to Memorial Hermann Hosp in the TMC over the last decade. Am I right?

The Outer Belt to MacGregor name change came about in the 70s or 80s. The change from MacGregor to Cambridge occurred when the new bridge opened last year.

The one I was thinking of the first post is still Horse & Hahl Road (it was just truncated).

Interestingly, within a mile, there was a private airfield (Josey Ranch...go to Cottage Cypress Road in Houston and go back to '78).

House and Hahl Road. My friends and I used to go out there to watch meteor showers because it was extremely dark without going too far into the country. It was a pretty good place for my teenage sexcapades too because you could see cars coming from a long way off. It still exists but some of it was replaced by that neighborhood, and there's more light pollution out there now.

Yeah, House & Hahl still does technically exist, but it was partially cut off by Bridgelands Lake Rd.

(Google Maps shows H&H going south east of Bridgelands Lake, but that's always been a private dirt path).

Spencer Rd. was rerouted sometime in the 2000s to better line up with 290 (and also eliminate the main railroad crossing)

Edited by IronTiger

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, Bissonnet west of Edloe was Richmond Road and Westpark was Old Richmond Road.

There is one one-block-long street in Southside Place that changes names every year. The parks association auctions off a year's naming rights to the highest bidder for fundraising. It's the street on the east side of the park.

A number of streets in Baytown have been closed by expansion from the Exxon refinery, including San Jacinto, Brunner, Baytown Avenue, and a few others near the ends of Market Street and Bayway Drive. The Baytown Nature Center also has a ton of old roads, most overgrown, from when there was a neighborhood there. Other renamed Baytown streets I can think of:

-Park Street used to be Wooster-Cedar Bayou Road

-ML Wismer used to be South Main Extension

-Avenue J and Harkins Street were both covered over by 146.

Edited by FIREhat

• 2 months later...

There was a subdivision called "Lamar Weslayan" near current-day Westpark/Edloe that was built in the 1950s and demolished for Southwest Freeway. It can be seen on the 1950s Google Earth image, and talked about in the book Houston Freeways. Most of the remaining subdivision was demolished soon after for office buildings, and only a small portion exists. One street was Norfolk Street, which still mostly exists.

• The title was changed to Renamed And Closed Roads