Robbins Brothers At 2101 West Loop S.

citykid09

I asked this question because the two jewelry stores at that location never lasted. Robbins Brothers and Spence Diamonds both closed (saw the Spence signs taken down). Why? Is it the economy? The Location? Are fewer people getting married? Or something else?

• Like 1

The less than stellar access and visibility had nothing to do with the Robbins Bros closure. RB expanded way too fast from their california roots - multiple stores in Houston, Dallas, Chicago and went bankrupt when the economy went sour. Part of the bankruptcy deal was that Spence bought out all but their california stores.

Why Spence has closed, I have no clue... but RB's closure was a bigger corporate level thing, not a location thing.

Edited by Highway6
  • Like 2

Not sure of the Spence closure but the location is difficult to access. RB was way overpriced so if Spence was the same, in this economny and easy access to better value (online, wholesellers), then they would also be in trouble.

Edited by JJVilla
  • Like 1

I asked this question because the two jewelry stores at that location never lasted. Robbins Brothers and Spence Diamonds both closed (saw the Spence signs taken down). Why? Is it the economy? The Location? Are fewer people getting married? Or something else?

Businesses go under for lots of reasons. Sometimes it's obvious, other times less so.

It's probably not worth speculating.

Businesses go under for lots of reasons. Sometimes it's obvious, other times less so.

It's probably not worth speculating.

I guess every kiss does begin with K, and not S.

Another eye sore, they barely made it 2 years. Hopefully it does not get turned into a 24 Hour Smoke Shop like the old Luke's Burger's joint nearby.

• Like 1

Because one can find much better quality and pricing from other (non-retail) establishments. You just need to know someone in the wholesale jewelry business and you can easily obtain truly original selections for a fraction of what these chain stores charge. E.g., the ring I settled on would retail for $20,000; and I got it for $8000.

• Like 1

There are so many wholesale jewelers, and even those who make their own here in Houston. Unless you are going for something incredible simple and low cost there's no reason to go retail or chain. Jewelry is marked up even more than furniture, I'm sure the wholesalers are still screwing you, but to a much lesser extent.

There's a building on Richmond (6222 I think) between Voss and Fountainview that is full of jewelers, I think 9 or 10 floors of them. Just go there and find someone you think is trustworthy (might be hard if you have a phobia of Persians/Arabs/Jews). Also, it's fun to say "I got a guy" for jewelry and not be just trying to sound funny.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Tangental question: is West Loop South different from South Loop West? or East North Loop different from East Loop North? And, does it change, depending on which direction one is going?

I'm so confused. Thank goodness I don't drive.

Edited by dbigtex56

Tangental question: is West Loop South different from South Loop West? or East North Loop different from East Loop North? And, does it change, depending on which direction one is going?

I'm so confused. Thank goodness I don't drive.

Yup. First direction is which of the 4 sides of houston you are on, 2nd direction is which of the two headings is possible for any one of those 4 sides.

Galleria would be West Loop South

Reliant Stadium would be South Loop West

Least that's what I thought until I plugged in Hotel Derek... Shouln't that be West Loop North. Maybe I only thought I knew what I was talking about.

Edited by Highway6

• 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Robbins Brothers At 2101 West Loop S.