How did your 2010 predictions turn out?

editor

A year ago, HAIFers were asked to make their predictions for 2010 in this thread: How did you do?

My 2010 predictions:

1. There will be some economic recovery, but things will continue to be bad through the end of 2010.
  2. Yahoo! will cease to exist as it currently is
  3. E-readers will be the subject of a lot of talk, but won't lead to a renaissance in reading.
  4. A new social networking site (something like Twitter or Facebook) will rise to prominence.
  5. Something very bad will happen in Pakistan

Results:

1. Debatable. I'm going to mark myself wrong on this one.
  2. Yahoo! got out of the search biz, and is now just a portal like AOL. I'm going to give myself half credit for this one.
  3. E-readers remain a novelty, though acceptance is spreading. One right!
  4. A million social networking sites have popped up, but none has risen to the same prominence as Twitter or Facebook. Wrong.
  5. Wrong.

So how did you do? Here's the 2010 prediction thread: /

And here's the thread where you can make predictions for 2011:

And if you're interested, here is the thread for 2009:

1. National unemployment will still be >9% at the end of the year.

2. If healthcare legislation passes both houses and is signed into law by the President it will not include a public option. Expansion of Medicare to include more users does not count. (Though that probably won't happen either)

3. 1 or more detainees will still be held at Guantanamo

4. Houston will not quite pass Chicago in population in the 2010 Census (prediction cannot be measured until the data is released, so may not be measurable in December 2010)

5. Bill White is our next governor (DARE TO DREAM!)

6. DJIA, Last day of 2009 close to last day of 2010 close >20% gain.

1. Right 9.8 percent for the November report, and not expected to fall significantly by the end of the year

2. Right There was no public option

3. Right 174 detainees remain at Guantanamo, which Obama said would be closed by January 2010.

4. Pending

5. Wrong

6. Wrong We are only just over a 10% gain right now

* Deficit spending without a corresponding increase in taxes (coupled with stabilization in inventory levels that reduce earlier offsetting deflationary pressures) will lead to further devaluation of the Dollar, increased inflation expectations, higher interest rates, and higher equities and commodities prices.

Kinda-sorta. I did not anticipate so many overseas financial crises, however. For the complexity of my prediction, I'm happy with the outcome.

* The labor market freefall will be cease but there will be no meaningful recovery.

Spot on. Year-over-year job losses ceased during the summer, however job gains have been tepid. At this rate 70,167 new jobs per month, it will take about nine years to return to 2007 levels of employment...assuming we don't have another recession between now and then.

* The midterm elections will witness a Republican resurgence, not on the basis of merit, but because Obama isn't on the ticket.

Absolutely correct. The Tea Party was without substance. An energized GOP base did not accomplish anything. They picked up seats because Democrats didn't turn out the vote.

* I will find a regular full-time job. It'll be boring and the pay will suck.

Correct. That happened in late July, ending 19 months of unemployment. It took until a couple days ago to get compensation back to what it was four years ago, and I'm grateful for that.

Oops, I jumped the gun and replied in the original 2010 thread. Um, here it is again.

1. Oil will be within +/-$5 of where it is right now ($72)

2. Kentucky will win the NCAA basketball tournament

3. No hurricanes make landfall in TX, again

4. We will go from drought to soaked again, with a top 10 record rainfall in the month of July

5. My tomato plant will not grow back after that freeze, the lemon tree will be fine

6. The Saints will NOT win the super bowl (reverse superstition, go Saints!)

1. $88 right now, but when did I mean? Who knows. It was $72 at some point last year. Badly framed prediction

2. Doh!

3. Correct

4. It was the 4th wettest July in recorded history for Houston!

5. Tomato plant died. Gone. Lemon tree came back to life somehow

6. It worked!! I should get some kind of payment for that, right?

Not bad, 4 out of 5. The first one was dumb.

A year ago, HAIFers were asked to make their predictions for 2010 in this thread: How did you do?

My 2010 predictions:

[*]Something very bad will happen in Pakistan

Wasn't there that huge flooding event in Pakistan a few months ago?

[quote* Metro will scrap light rail in favor of gondolas

* The Astrodome will will be bought by Tillman Fertitta and transformed into a dinosaur themed restaurant

* The Astros will win the World Series

* Hell will freeze over

]

Well at least I got one out of four. 

My 2010 Predictions:

1. More English language radio stations in Houston will be flipped to Spanish language.

2. More Local Fortune 500 companies will layoff thousands of people.

3. Another year of no new high-rise or major development announcements in Houston.

4. Construction on METROs new light rail lines will be suspended indefinitely.

5. A news anchor that has been on Houston TV for many years will announce his retirement.

Results:

1. I think this one became true, but I believe that one station actually switched to English

2. This one was true

3. This one was true

4. This one was true

5. This one was true, but it wasn't the anchor I was thinking it would happen to.

It looks like I am the over all winner this year!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think construction of the rail lines was ever suspended. If I recall correctly, they decided to slow work on the rail lines while the fed money was frozen. Now that the Feds have again granted the money, things should be rolling again?

And Jerome Gray did not retire, if that's who you're referring to...

I don't think construction of the rail lines was ever suspended. If I recall correctly, they decided to slow work on the rail lines while the fed money was frozen. Now that the Feds have again granted the money, things should be rolling again?

And Jerome Gray did not retire, if that's who you're referring to...

I believe that at one point METRO Rail had stopped completely, but it looks like they may be starting back, but I think its only on that one line. Someone who knows more about this subject can better answer this one.

As far as Jerome Gray, well he was let go by KPRC, but he decided to retire from the television business and try something else, so that counts.

I believe that at one point METRO Rail had stopped completely, but it looks like they may be starting back, but I think its only on that one line. Someone who knows more about this subject can better answer this one.

As far as Jerome Gray, well he was let go by KPRC, but he decided to retire from the television business and try something else, so that counts.

It did not and it does not.

It did not and it does not.

If he wants to count the Jerome thing, let him. They're his predictions, and this is only friendly speculation. You should not take it upon yourself to be the judge of a contest that doesn't exist.

If he wants to count the Jerome thing, let him. They're his predictions, and this is only friendly speculation. You should not take it upon yourself to be the judge of a contest that doesn't exist.

You should not be so quick to presume that I am taking on the mantle of a judge or that I view this as a contest. First of all, judgeship is not a responsibility that I aspire to. And secondly, Citykid was the one that cited a competition that did not exist; with respect to that, I added no comment.

Citykid's "friendly speculation" was met with a friendly opinion. That is all. If you've got a beef with that...well then I'm just perplexed, to be honest. And even a little amused at the irony. This is an online forum and nitpicky banter is its lifeblood. Let it be.

Archived