Two of the world's tallest structures could be built in... Arizona?

First time I've heard of solar chimneys:

The numbers are intimidating, but Davey said that the benefits of making power without using water or creating pollution should attract investors to fund the estimated $750 million construction cost of the first tower.

Davey downplayed the size and scope of the chimney, which would be nearly as tall as the recently opened Burj Khalifa in Dubai, which is the tallest manmade structure ever built, at more than 2,700 feet.

http://www.azcentral.com/business/articles/2010/12/10/20101210arizona-solar-chimney-project.html

Whoa... massive indeed. Wonder what security measures would be taken.

The FAA will require that there be blinking lights on them and will mark them on new aeronautical charts as being towers of a particular height, just like they do for radio transmitter towers. Otherwise, they're really not anything special.

In terms of terrorist targets, I think these would be very hard to hit, and without much collateral damage. Now, if SoCal ever gets dependent on this kind of energy, then I can see them being a viable target, but I think that's decades off.

In terms of terrorist targets, I think these would be very hard to hit, and without much collateral damage. Now, if SoCal ever gets dependent on this kind of energy, then I can see them being a viable target, but I think that's decades off.

Yeah that's what I was thinking.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived