HAIF Bowl Pickem Challenge 2010

Highway6

Haha great name 20thstdad. That alone got me to sign up!

To hell with conference loyalty. There is no reason to do anything other than hate Auburn and hope they lose. Unless you are pulling for them to win, and then a couple months later have it all taken away due to rules violations. That might be almost as good as losing.

So for the confidence points...we are putting the highest points with our most confident predictions, correct?

As I understand it, yes.

I believe how it works is if the team you rank with 1 confidence points wins, You get 1 point, regardless of which bowl game it is. Same can be said for every winner up to 35 points.

Unlike the strait up Bowl Pickem, I have not found where it says the bowl games are also weighted by importance.

So, my understanding is, there are No incentives to rank more important bowls, for example, rank Auburn with 35 confidence points... You would not get an additional weighted amount of points over if I had given Middle Tennessee 35 confidence points.

If I'm wrong in that assessment, I'll have some re-ranking to do.

As I understand it, yes.

I believe how it works is if the team you rank with 1 confidence points wins, You get 1 point, regardless of which bowl game it is. Same can be said for every winner up to 35 points.

Unlike the strait up Bowl Pickem, I have not found where it says the bowl games are also weighted by importance.

So, my understanding is, there are No incentives to rank more important bowls, for example, rank Auburn with 35 confidence points... You would not get an additional weighted amount of points over if I had given Middle Tennessee 35 confidence points.

If I'm wrong in that assessment, I'll have some re-ranking to do.

You are right, bowl importance has nothing to do with it. You get the points that you assign to a game if you pick it right. I think it plays on those emotional homer or hater picks even more than the against-the-spread format.

Once it locks, your picks will be shown in chronological order to make it easier. Points are given as games complete, and on the group page it will show totals and possible points remaining after each game.

Well, got the picks in. It was an odd year for CFB so who knows how these bowls will play out. Not really much science to my method, just found the games I thought were close to "locks" and moved them up and didn't really mess with the rest. Good luck to everyone named ME!

Well, got the picks in. It was an odd year for CFB so who knows how these bowls will play out. Not really much science to my method, just found the games I thought were close to "locks" and moved them up and didn't really mess with the rest. Good luck to everyone named ME!

I've never done one with confidence points before. Over on yahoo, each user's winner and their wager on that game will be displayed under group picks. I'm hoping our ESPN game is the same

There's gonna be lots of ups and downs and turmoil when we see for any given game that one person has waged 30 pnts on team A while someone else has waged 33 pnts on team B.

I've never done one with confidence points before. Over on yahoo, each user's winner and their wager on that game will be displayed under group picks. I'm hoping our ESPN game is the same

There's gonna be lots of ups and downs and turmoil when we see for any given game that one person has waged 30 pnts on team A while someone else has waged 33 pnts on team B.

When the first game starts it will lock all picks and you can see everyone's picks and confidence. Coming up to the last games, you'll be able to do some math (and it'll show you PPR) to figure out the likely scenario.

Looking at tomorrow's games, I think I have single digit confidence on all of them, so even if I'm right I won't have much to show for it.

Ugh. I didn't fill out the confidence points so it looks like it did it for me by the dates of the bowls going from most confident to least as time marches on. Bummer on that one.

That's okay.. I was so distracted by playing with confidence points, that I completely forgot I was supposed to be picking against the spread.

Of course.. i am 4 for 4 so far... so I may have found my new winning strategy for next season.

That's okay.. I was so distracted by playing with confidence points, that I completely forgot I was supposed to be picking against the spread.

Of course.. i am 4 for 4 so far... so I may have found my new winning strategy for next season.

It's not against the spread, all straight up. For bowls that's never as easy as you would think.

At least I got my 35 pointer right! Enough of this one game per day stuff, I need 5-6 at a time happening.

It's not against the spread, all straight up. For bowls that's never as easy as you would think.

You're right. I got it confused with my yahoo league, which is against the spread. I just copied all my picks from there over to our espn league.

Still, its working so far. I agree though... ready for next week once serious bowl season starts.

20th and brijon... you two were aware we're supposed to pick who we think would win each bowl, right ?

That's 6 losses in a row for each of ya.

http://games.espn.go...t?groupID=11556

Someone must have sabotaged my picks. I look back on a couple thinking I would never pick that. There are 3 specifically that I originally had right, then I read some column by some sports idiot and decided I should change them. That never works out well. That big 12 bias seems to have hurt you yesterday. Then again I'm an SEC guy and got the same 2 wrong, although for less points.

All is not lost, I haven't lost anything higher than 24. After that I lost a 23, then nothing higher than 13. I knew which ones I didn't know. Something like that. Anyway, it could all change today with big numbers on the line (17, 22, 19, 33).

That big 12 bias seems to have hurt you yesterday.

Yeah.. Baylor looked terrible.

I say we switch back to Yahoo for next time. I'm in a league there as well.

a) it just looks more professional

b ) it hides your opponents pick and wager till game time, which increases the drama.

c) it has your "max score possible" listed as well on the scoreboard

Yeah.. Baylor looked terrible.

I say we switch back to Yahoo for next time. I'm in a league there as well.

a) it just looks more professional

b ) it hides your opponents pick and wager till game time, which increases the drama.

c) it has your "max score possible" listed as well on the scoreboard

Fine by me, I'll do both. I like seeing everyone's picks lined out, so I can think they're crazy for putting a 27 on Tulsa, then they end up being right. ESPN used to show PPR, and I know they always do for the NCAA bracket challenge, Maybe they got lazy this year or let the interns run this one over the holidays.

All is not lost, I haven't lost anything higher than 24. After that I lost a 23, then nothing higher than 13. I knew which ones I didn't know. Something like that. Anyway, it could all change today with big numbers on the line (17, 22, 19, 33).

About to be 0-3 today, so I would like to change my story to that I am trying to lose on purpose. Because technically, getting them all wrong is as hard as getting them all right.

Syracuse- North Carolina, Nebraska, USF, and Notre Dame provided me with a nice little run. Hopefully UCF can pull it out in the Liberty Bowl.

Bad news is that because I didn't use confidence points, I am running out of opportunities to score many more!

You did stack a lot of points towards the end and definitely a risk taker with 31 on Wisconsin/TCU and 32 on TAMU/LSU which are both coin flips. The good news is you could be set for a big comeback while the rest of us run out of points.

Archived