Sign in to follow this  
JLWM8609

Scott Gertner's new downtown venue

http://www.29-95.com/bars-clubs/story/scott-gertner-0

When Scott Gertner’s storied Skybar abruptly closed in July, the reactions were intense and immediate.

"It was getting frustrating reading the emails from people asking for the Skybar. 'When are you going to reopen? Where are you going to reopen?’” Gertner said.

“I was going through some anxiety there. It was really neat that people were wanting to have it again. But I just knew that I couldn't do a lateral move."

FANTASTIC NEWS!!! Should be a great venue and will help fill an important void left by the closings of both the Skybar and the Red Cat. It seems like our live music venues in Houston have been taking a BIG hit this year, but I can tell 2011 is already going to be better.

Great news for a great guy. Although not quite as picturesque of a view, this place looks like it's going to be fantastic.

FANTASTIC NEWS!!! Should be a great venue and will help fill an important void left by the closings of both the Skybar and the Red Cat. It seems like our live music venues in Houston have been taking a BIG hit this year, but I can tell 2011 is already going to be better.

Did you know Red Cat is moving to Pearland? Yeah, I don't really equate Pearland with live jazz music, but who knows?

alright, i think we have 3 different threads talking about this now.

Is the Skybar ever going to open? its been almost a year since I have heard anything. Also Is Red Cat Jazz still open?

Is this going to be a rooftop club? please tell me no...Or will it be in doors?

If outdoors can they get around the noise ordinance?

It's on the top level of the outdoor mall. It is an indoor venue but it has an exterior patio area with seating. I'm pretty sure the closest residents in the Humble tower won't be able to hear much noise if the setup is indoors primarily.

Edited by infinite_jim

It's on the top level of the outdoor mall. It is an indoor venue but it has an exterior patio area with seating. I'm pretty sure the closest residents in the Humble tower won't be able to hear much noise if the setup is indoors primarily.

That is where I am. I am literally the closest resident to this project, lol. I talked to the GM of The Pavilions yesterday and she said that all the music will be indoors, although they will have a roof deck area with music it will be enclosed. And that Scott Gertner has noise ordinance requirements in his lease as well.

Well they kept up many residents in our building Saturday night... windows and beds were shaking... I am not sure how this will turn out...I couldn't sleep until 2am... Even with earplugs in and pillows on my head.

Well they kept up many residents in our building Saturday night... windows and beds were shaking... I am not sure how this will turn out...I couldn't sleep until 2am... Even with earplugs in and pillows on my head.

How long has it been open?

How long has it been open?

The weekend when the Texans had their first playoff game I believe. But they had a few soft openings before that as well.

He actually called me last night and left a message. I was at the gym so I missed the call. I was surprised to have received a voicemail from him personally. He asked that I email him, since it is easier for him to communicate that way (and better to have things in writing I guess ;) )

• Like 1

Why not use the draconian sound ordinance while you still can?

I don't think it is draconian at all. Noise pollution is out of control. If anything it needs to be enforced more, and the fines should go up after numerous occurrences.

I don't think it is draconian at all. Noise pollution is out of control. If anything it needs to be enforced more, and the fines should go up after numerous occurrences.

You don't think it is draconian to have a noise ordinance which is not based on any objective decibel standard? How is that fair?

You don't think it is draconian to have a noise ordinance which is not based on any objective decibel standard? How is that fair?

We had that, it never worked, because very few police officers had the equipment to read it, and even when they did it wasn't calibrated correctly, or so it could be contested in a court of law. If you can hear the noise from inside your home and so can a police officer, then the noise is too loud. If the person who has the loud noise refuses to turn it down, then yes, they should be fined. Everyone is entitled to a peaceful home. Sorry if that offends anyone, just the way I see it.

We had that, it never worked, because very few police officers had the equipment to read it, and even when they did it wasn't calibrated correctly, or so it could be contested in a court of law. If you can hear the noise from inside your home and so can a police officer, then the noise is too loud.

That is not the standard in the new ordinance. Your house has walls, and the new standard relates to noise that can be heard from the sidewalk outside the venue.

If the person who has the loud noise refuses to turn it down, then yes, they should be fined. Everyone is entitled to a peaceful home. Sorry if that offends anyone, just the way I see it.

That is not the nature of the new ordinance. They can be fined (and arrested) regardless of whether they refuse to turn it down.

That is not the standard in the new ordinance. Your house has walls, and the new standard relates to noise that can be heard from the sidewalk outside the venue.

That is not the nature of the new ordinance. They can be fined (and arrested) regardless of whether they refuse to turn it down.

I am not arguing with you regarding the new ordinance, I didn't even mention the new ordinance. I did respond to your post regarding a decibel standard. The old noise ordinance did have specific decibel levels during the day and during the night, and police officers had to use equipment to measure the decibels. The rest of my post is my personal opinion.

I am not arguing with you regarding the new ordinance, I didn't even mention the new ordinance.

Sure you did. Someone recommended that you use the draconian ordinance (which was recently passed). You said it wasn't draconian.

that wasn't Gertners, that was us... we had a duh step show that brought in the most ridiculous sound system. I felt like I was physically assaulted by the sound the ten minutes I had to sit out there (spl so high some frequencies literally choked me)

• Like 1

Well I talked to him again on Friday, very nice guy. He thinks it was because all of the doors were open to the patio, he is only going to leave one set of doors open. It was much better Friday night, I am not sure about Saturday night because I took a sleeping pill because I had to be up at 7am on Sunday and didn't want to chance it.

I am not arguing with you regarding the new ordinance, I didn't even mention the new ordinance.

I don't think [the noise ordinance] is draconian at all. Noise pollution is out of control. If anything it needs to be enforced more, and the fines should go up after numerous occurrences.

Edited by kylejack
  • Like 1

I never once mentioned the new ordinance in response to you, is what I meant. I am not trying to get in an argument with you so please do stop it already. I already stated the way I felt, please refer back to that statement...

Edited by Daniepwils

Who went? How did it compare to montrise one don't et nostalgic? Why did they close - seemed busy whenever I was at HP or Greeb street whatever

Why did they close - seemed busy whenever I was at HP or Greeb street whatever

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/food/06-10-13-night-club-quietly-shutters-the-reimagined-houston-pavilions-loses-another-tenant/

the article here says it closed because his bar didn't fit in to their long term plans. anyone know what direction the former pavillions is headed?