The Texas Embassy

I was going through some old pictures I took in London a couple of years ago and ran across these.

There's a restaurant near Trafalgar Square called The Texas Embassy. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to go in, but I thought I'd share the exterior pics with some actual Texans.

post-1-0-17011300-1291167444_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-54981900-1291167451_thumb.jpg

I ate there mid 90s, back in high school. I don't remember the food being anything special, but when you've been living off fish,chips, and mashed peas for several weeks, any burger tastes good. As cool as it is to travel in Europe, its even more cool to run into a little slice of home, while abroad.

I've been there several times when I've been in London. It's a nice reminder of home. The food isn't amazing, but it certainly isn't bad and it's definitely worth a visit if you're spending some time in London. They have most of your traditional Tex-Mex fare, and the margaritas are actually pretty good from what I can remember.

No way would I ever go to a Tex Mex place in London.

I was adventurous and did try a Tex Mex place in London. I cracked up when the waiter asked if I needed to know what Tex Mex was. I couldn't stand ANY restaurant there. After seeing what London has to offer, I'm convinced Chef Ramsay Gordon's food probably tastes like Chili's and everyone over there thinks he's a genius.

I disagree.. sorrta. Are we only talking Brittish ethinc food, or are we talking about food available in Brittain?

The former may be boring, but the latter is not.

As discussed, Tex-Mex isnt always Tex-mex. Texas tex-mex is different from Utah's Tex-Mex, is different from London Tex-Mex. The same can be said for Italian food, Spanish Tapas, Chineese, etc.

One of the best Spanish Tapas restaurants I've been to was in London, and some of the best Italian food I've eaten outside of Italy was in Scotland.

For as long as the British Empire has been around, they really don't have many foods that are uniquely theirs, do they ?

Fish and Chips.. British name but really available everywhere.

Shepherd's pie..

Meat pudding..

What else ?

Of course, guess that can be said of the US as well. You go to a Hard Rock abroad, what are your choices besides a hamburger and maybe a steak?

I disagree.. sorrta. Are we only talking Brittish ethinc food, or are we talking about food available in Brittain?

The former may be boring, but the latter is not.

As discussed, Tex-Mex isnt always Tex-mex. Texas tex-mex is different from Utah's Tex-Mex, is different from London Tex-Mex. The same can be said for Italian food, Spanish Tapas, Chineese, etc.

One of the best Spanish Tapas restaurants I've been to was in London, and some of the best Italian food I've eaten outside of Italy was in Scotland.

They also have some brilliant Indian food in London. There's an area near Liverpool Street called Brick Lane where there are dozens of great Indian (and Pakistani, Bangladeshi, etc...) restaurants lining the street.

I've been to the Texas Embassy, but not in yonks. They can get loose with Tex-Mex definitions in that part of the world; burritos passed off as enchiladas etc. Maybe the theory is that nobody will know the difference.

There's a cliche that the British national dish is curry. Things like Shepherd Pie you really don't run into that often.

Archived