Sign in to follow this  
devonhart

KILT Radio July 9, 1966

I loved that! What memories. I was 18 and had just graduated from high school. I had listened to KILT since sixth grade, but when I was 16, I switched to KNUZ. I liked Paul Berlin's morning show and would listen while I got ready for school.

That was great. Loved the ads.  Forgot about some like the Mike Persia commercial. Also forgot most of the deejay names. James Bond was the morning guy. Must have been right before Hudson and Harrigan (Stevens and Pruett) started. 

That was great. Loved the ads.  Forgot about some like the Mike Persia commercial. Also forgot most of the deejay names. James Bond was the morning guy. Must have been right before Hudson and Harrigan (Stevens and Pruett) started. 

Not quite, but almost. James Bond was just one of the personalities created by a talented DJ named Ben Schwartzman. It was of course inspired by the extreme popularity of the James Bond movie series which was in high gear with one hit film after another. Schwartzman's "English" accent wasn't very good, but it was passable for Houston.

The "Bond" show lasted until late 1966. When "Bond" left, KILT used fill-in DJ's for a time. Then a new DJ named Alex Bennett showed up in the morning slot, and he was completely different from "Bond". They were in fact the same guy - Ben Schwartzman, finally getting the chance to be himself. Alex Bennett was and still is a damn good DJ. So good he left KILT about a year later in '67 to look for greener pastures. He's still at it today, doing his show on Sirius and XM Satellite Radio.

Here's a link to his website: http://www.radiofreejack.com/

When Bennett left, station owner Gordon Maclendon KILT GM Dickie Rosenfeld decided to install a two-man morning show. So they hired Mack Hudson from a Beaumont station, and teamed him with Paul Menard from KLIF in Dallas, named them Hudson and Harrigan and sent them to KILT. The original pair held down the morning show till the early 70s. After they took the last train to the coast in the mid 70s, Mark Stevens and Jim Pruett became H&H.

Edited by FilioScotia

Ahh yes. I forgot the original H&H was not S&P. Did not know Bond and Bennett were the same guy. Very interesting. 

Then a new DJ named Alex Bennett showed up in the morning slot, and he was completely different from "Bond".

He also had a call in night show on KILT, in the midst of Vietnam you can imagine how heated it got sometimes. My buddy and I tried to call one night, never got on, but it was like a party line where you could talk to the other callers waiting to get on, at least that's the way I remember it, no guarantee I remember it correctly.

That was great. I remember growing up my mom telling me she watched the Lunar landing at the Foley's Downtown back in '69. I believe she was already here in the States by '66. I'm going to show this to her, thanks for posting it.

He also had a call in night show on KILT, in the midst of Vietnam you can imagine how heated it got sometimes. My buddy and I tried to call one night, never got on, but it was like a party line where you could talk to the other callers waiting to get on, at least that's the way I remember it, no guarantee I remember it correctly.

Alex Bennet , "The man you love to hate". He was definately the king of the spin doctors back then. Wow, all the good music on air and we sat and listened to this jerk? I gotta' hand it to him, he certainly held the secret to successful radio!

I may be wrong but I though it was only one caller at a time so he could do all the one-on-one razzing himself.

Alex Bennett: "The man you love to hate"

Several mp3 audio file airchecks of Alex Bennett/James Bond at this site The Vasthead Houston Retro Radio. Many other KILT and Houston radio airchecks at that site also.

Wow. That really was a poor English accent. Guess when I was 15 it sounded realistic to me. 

I may be wrong but I though it was only one caller at a time so he could do all the one-on-one razzing himself.

Correct, one caller at a time on air, but while waiting to get on the air you could talk to other who were waiting also.