Heritage Bikeway Update

kylejack

Would runners be frowned upon if they used this, or simply run over....?

Just keep to the right, and no headphones so you can hear me when I say I'm coming. And no pooping on the pathway, though it's probably annoying dogs doing that and not runners.

I've seen questions here before about whether walkers/joggers should use the right or left of hike/bike trails. I guess it's not obvious to everyone.

Seriously, it's not.

Bikes should of course avoid pedestrians, but many times I've seen pedestrians obliviously strolling down designated bike paths when there are adjacent sidewalks or footpaths. It's a wonder there aren't more bike-pedestrian collisions.

I've seen questions here before about whether walkers/joggers should use the right or left of hike/bike trails. I guess it's not obvious to everyone.

That's fine. I just objected to the generalization. Give some runners credit for being aware of their surroundings. I could just as easily have generalized about cyclists barrelling along with no regard for anyone else, but I know they aren't all like that.

Gotta love when there's a whole family with dog leashes and strollers taking up the entire both sides of the bikeway. :P

this happens in the woodlands all the time. i hate the leashes that extend. people don't control their dogs and act perplexed when it gets in your way. ughh!

the downtown hike/bike connections look great. i look forward to media with these amenities included in video/photo shots.

Not sure. Here's some more information:

The Heritage Corridor Bayou Trail begins at White Oak Bayou and runs east to Buffalo Bayou, from Stude Park at White Oak Bayou to Buffalo Bayou at Lockwood. The trail will provide over 6 miles of linear park on the banks of the Buffalo with a 10-foot wide multi-use path. The Heritage Corridor is the site where Houston's history began.

The Heritage Corridor Bayou Trail connects to the MKT Trail on the west, and CBD North and South. On the east end it will connect to an extended beautification project proposed by the Buffalo Bayou Partnership. This project will extend the trail from Lockwood to the turning basin of the Houston Ship Channel.

Places to visit include the University of Houston Downtown, the Mckee Street Bridge, the upcoming Tony Moron Park, and several restaurants in the area. The trail is located in Key Map grids 493 B, C, E, F, G, L, & M; and 494 J, K & L.

Houston Heritage Corridor West Segment

Project Status: Projected construction letting October 2009

Federal Funds: Statewide Transportation Enhancement Project

Local Funds: City of Houston, METRO

Estimated Cost: $6.3 million

City Council District: H

Houston Heritage Corridor East, Segment I

Project Status: Projected construction letting September 2009

Houston Heritage Corridor East, Segment III

Project Status: TBD

http://www.houstonbikeways.org/projects-and-phases/heritage-corridor-bayou-trails.htm

Timeline looks slightly outdated. So I guess corridor refers to all the bayou beautification stuff as well..?

Archived