Houston History Book Fair and Symposium

gonzo1976

Houston Arts and Media and Story Sloane’s Gallery will be co-hosting the first annual Houston History Book Fair & Symposium on Saturday, Nov. 13, at the historic Heights Church of Christ at Heights Blvd and 16th Street. The event runs from 10:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m., and admission is free. It is the only comprehensive symposium event dedicated solely to the history of Southeast Texas.

There are plenty of authors committed to attending this inaugural event, and all will be there throughout the day selling and signing their various books on area history. Every half hour throughout the day, a different author will speak in the church library about the topic of their work. There will also be a panel discussion, sponsored by Arcadia Publishing, at noon in the main event hall during which four Arcadia authors will answer questions and discuss the process of researching and preparing a book on local history.

The event is designed to be a fun way to draw attention to Houston’s history and raise awareness for ongoing HAM projects such as their HAM Slices of History videos, the Neighbor to Neighbor Oral History Project, and the multi-volume Historic Schools of Harris County. It will be the first time that HAM’s new full length documentary "Houston: A Nation’s Capitol" will be available on DVD.

All attending teachers with ID will receive a free gift of historic posters courtesy of Story Sloane’s Gallery, a photo gallery specializing in images of our past with an emphasis on Houston from the early 1900s till the 1980s. More information at http://www.sloanegallery.com

Door prizes will be awarded throughout the day. Attendees are encouraged to stay and listen to speakers as long as they like.

Here's a schedule of speakers:

10:30 – Carol Vance - "Boomtown D.A."

11:00 – Bill Hobby – "How Things Really Work: Lessons From a Life in Politics"

11:30 – Naomi Carrier – "Go Down Old Hannah"

12:00 – Arcadia Publishing Authors Panel Discussion, Main Hall

Four Authors on preparing your book on local history: Brian Davis (Lost Galveston), Ron Goodwin (African-American Houston), Sallie Gordon (Courtlandt Place), Anne Sloan (Houston Heights)

1:00 – Ed Cotham – Four Gulf Coast Civil War Titles

1:30 – Kurt Voss - "Elissa: The Tall Ship of Texas"

2:00 – Jim Bevill – "The Paper Republic"

2:30 – Michael Botson – "Labor, Civil Rights & the Hughes Tool Company"

3:00 – Doug Weiskopf – "Rails Around Houston"

3:30 – Dwight Watson – "Race & the Houston Police Department: 1930-1990"

http://www.houstonartsandmedia.org/book%20fair.html

Why am I mentioning this? Well this event was partly my idea so I'd like to see it become an annual event. I'll be there all day so drop in and say hello!

Archived