Harris County DA going after Crips and Bloods

editor

DA Seeks First Anti-Gang Injunction in Harris County

(Houston, Tx) - District Attorney Patricia Lykos on Wednesday announced the filing of the first-ever civil injunction action against gang activity in Harris County, as part of a coordinated new offensive to restore public safety in a gang-infested northeast county community.

The public nuisance lawsuit seeks court orders to equip law enforcement officers with special authority to prevent crimes and disrupt organized criminal operations in a 57-acre "safety zone" around the 700-unit Haverstock Hills apartment complex. Defendants are 33 known members of the Crips and Blood gangs.

"The Haverstock Hills neighborhood is a low-income community that has been terrorized by gang members, dope dealers and pimps," Lykos said. "We are sending a message to all criminal gangs to get out of Harris County - we are after you."

Legal action is sought to bar gang members from entering or staying in the designated zone. They would also be banned from associating among themselves or with other gang members. Defendants would not be allowed to display gang "colors" or flash hand signs, or have graffiti-marking items or weapons of any type. They would be prohibited from disrupting traffic or building access, harassing residents, or carrying cell phones or similar devices. The full list of banned items or actions spans nearly three pages of the lawsuit.

Lykos began coordinating a project in January to provide sweeping changes, upgraded services and security for the 2,400 residents there. Haverstock Hills is an attractive and well maintained complex and its management has been active in cooperative crime reduction efforts.

"This has been an amazing collaboration of law enforcement, community leaders, churches, schools and apartment management to tackle a problem in an innovative, creative way," said Kim Ogg, a lawyer who is heading the project for the District Attorney's Office. "Through this process, we are shining a light on the Bloods and the Crips and exposing their actual impact on this community for what it is. They commit more crimes with greater impunity than ordinary criminals. Our lawsuit seeks to protect the law-abiding residents who have been held hostage by criminal gangs for far too long."

Appellate courts have consistently upheld the special sanctions against known criminal gangs targeted by nuisance actions. The lawsuits rely on evidentiary hearings for temporary injunctions until there can be full trials to decide if injunctions should be permanent. Defendants found to be in violation can be punished by up to one year in jail and fine of up to $4,000.

The requested safety zone covers the complex and 11 listed businesses. That area is east of the Eastex Freeway, in the area of Aldine Bender at Lee Road. About 700 children live in the complex, and some of them attend the nearby Aldine ISD elementary school.

Lykos said this lawsuit is just one of the tactics that will be utilized in the strategy to disrupt and dismantle organized crime in the Harris County region.

Announcement of the civil action came at a news conference that included representatives of the Harris County Sheriff's Office, Police Department of Aldine ISD, Office of Congressman Gene Green, and several community organizations and schools.

I fully expect to be flamed by the usual suspects for saying it - but Pat Lykos is 100% right in what she is doing.

We need a concerted effort to get criminals and thugs out of low-income complexes, and into jail; and then we need an equally concerted effort to turn those low income complexes into safe, decent housing for the poor.

The Braeburn Super Neighborhood will host a meeting in December as part of an effort to get a similar safety zone along the 7400 block of Bissonnet. More information will follow (if the HAIF regulars behave themselves).

Criminals who have committed a crime should be arrested and prosecuted, but the cell phone possession thing seems pretty odd, among others.

there are different ways to skin a cat, sometimes you have to get creative in how you do it.

Well, the meaning is worthwhile but it seems strange only a small area falls under this special protection. How can that be done legally without someone complaining or making a challenge in court. I thought the law was to be upheld and carried out equally for everyone and every community, not just for a few. Note in the years past public hangings were very instrumental in controlling and preventing crime. I think society will eventually hang themselves trying to appease or not offend anyone. Maybe they should just fence the entire area these known thugs live, without any gates or openings, and insure there are plenty guns and ammunition, then just throw over the fence enough food for one person, eventually you have but one to deal with.

Get them all off the streets I say... but one question we must ask is how soon will the criminals be back on the streets after going through our revolving door justice system? How much of a factor will over-crowded jails play in their early release? Will they have a score to settle with the law (i.e. zeta type retaliation)? If the DA goes after them (which I applaud) how soon before one of the bad guys says "we'll come after you"? I think in the long term all the publicity this operation is generating is a very very bad thing.

• 5 weeks later...

DA Seeks First Anti-Gang Injunction in Harris County

(Houston, Tx) - District Attorney Patricia Lykos on Wednesday announced the filing of the first-ever civil injunction action against gang activity in Harris County, as part of a coordinated new offensive to restore public safety in a gang-infested northeast county community.

Looks like the District Attorney won their injunction. This is a great day for Houston. I hope other locations throughout the City get the same kind of injunction.

When did the chron.com forums start bleeding over onto HAIF?

Putting civil liberties aside (because REAL Americans don't need no stinkin' liberties), jailing at-risk populations for minor infractions (or on the basis of suspicion, alone) puts them in contact with experienced criminals that have already cycled and re-cycled through the system. Why would we want to turn our prisons into universities of crime and provide full scholarships to people that we think might be inclined to commit crime in the future?

It just seems kind of...dumb.

Will they have a score to settle with the law (i.e. zeta type retaliation)? If the DA goes after them (which I applaud) how soon before one of the bad guys says "we'll come after you"? I think in the long term all the publicity this operation is generating is a very very bad thing.

Since we're talking about drug dealer money, not drug trafficking money, these really are not the same kinds of threat. It seems unlikely that they'd go after law enforcement. The retaliation would be popular and overwhelming. Whoever did it would be made an example of, and various elected officials would be jockeying for credit in bringing down the perps.

The apartment managers, on the other hand, took a lot of the credit for this and aren't as universally appreciated as 'public servants' or 'first responders'. If I worked there, I'd probably be looking for another job.

Putting civil liberties aside (because REAL Americans don't need no stinkin' liberties), jailing at-risk populations for minor infractions (or on the basis of suspicion, alone) puts them in contact with experienced criminals that have already cycled and re-cycled through the system. Why would we want to turn our prisons into universities of crime and provide full scholarships to people that we think might be inclined to commit crime in the future?

It just seems kind of...dumb.

They aren't throwing anyone in jail. The DA's office got a civil injunction to keep certain people out of a 57 acre 'safe zone' centered on the Haverstock Hills Apartments.

And they're not randomly going after 'at risk populations.' They targeted 33 experienced criminals and suspected gang members, after doing an in-depth investigation of who was causing problems at the Haverstock Hills. These 33 have committed crime after crime, including intimidation against neighbors.

Ultimately, this injunction is a good thing. I really hope that it succeeds in helping make the Haverstock Hills a safe place to live. And I hope they do it at other problem complexes and neighborhoods, too.

They aren't throwing anyone in jail. The DA's office got a civil injunction to keep certain people out of a 57 acre 'safe zone' centered on the Haverstock Hills Apartments.

And they're not randomly going after 'at risk populations.' They targeted 33 experienced criminals and suspected gang members, after doing an in-depth investigation of who was causing problems at the Haverstock Hills. These 33 have committed crime after crime, including intimidation against neighbors.

Ultimately, this injunction is a good thing. I really hope that it succeeds in helping make the Haverstock Hills a safe place to live. And I hope they do it at other problem complexes and neighborhoods, too.

You said:

We need a concerted effort to get criminals and thugs out of low-income complexes, and into jail

But that's not what this program does. The D.A. prosecutes suspects if they have evidence linking them to a crime. That they merely associate with one another is not a crime.

You should also bear in mind that your comments are not the only ones that have been made on this thread. One other person suggested that we hang them publicly or fence off an area for them (kind of like they did with Jewish ghettos in interwar Europe). Another person also suggested imprisonment.

The D.A. prosecutes suspects if they have evidence linking them to a crime. That they merely associate with one another is not a crime.

I did suggest that criminals should be in jail; not in low-income housing. I stand by that. But what the DA is doing is creative, and a good first-step to cleaning up low-income housing.

Also, remember. The gangsters are not barred from associating with one-another. They are barred from being at the Haverstock Hills.

You should also bear in mind that your comments are not the only ones that have been made on this thread. One other person suggested that we hang them publicly or fence off an area for them (kind of like they did with Jewish ghettos in interwar Europe). Another person also suggested imprisonment.

I am as sickened as you are by the extreme suggestions of public hangings and ghettos. But I understand the frustration that brings people to those extremes. I was outside with the dogs just now, and the HPD helicopter came flying overhead. They're looking for this guy no doubt. And then to read about parents who are afraid to let their kids play outside. Or watch

Our DA's efforts are measured and creative. I'll reiterate what I said before. I hope she tries it elsewhere.

They are not barred from associating with one-another. They are barred from being at the Haverstock Hills.

Yes, that is what I said. But you said...

We need a concerted effort to get criminals and thugs out of low-income complexes, and into jail

I am as sickened by the extreme suggestions as you are. But unlike yourself, I understand the frustration that brings people to those extremes. I was outside with the dogs just now, and the HPD helicopter came flying overhead. They're looking for this guy no doubt.

Your petty frustration is no justification for a rout of civil liberties.

• 5 years later...

Harris County Sheriff Ron Hickman [R] should send deputies to the high-risk neighborhoods, rounding up those uppity outside agitators & exterminate them from the face of the earth.

Time to cleanse the entire City of Houston from the thugs forever & making Houston Pure Again!

38 minutes ago, innerlooper said:

Blue Dogs, be aware that your answer to my post about the Cafe Express robbery has vanished, along with the original post. I guess I had ventured in a Forbidden Zone, bringing up a negative actuality in the toniest part of town.

From the sidebar updates with new posts, there were a lot of accusations of racism flying around, so a mod must have pulled the plug on the whole thread.

14 hours ago, KinkaidAlum said:

Shouldn't law enforcement follow the laws?

14 hours ago, KinkaidAlum said:

Shouldn't law enforcement follow the laws?

So what ? Stop listening to the BLM terrorist organization's nonsense & rhetoric.

Law & Order Today, Law & Order Tomorrow & Law & Order FOREVER!

What on earth is wrong with the idea of law enforcement obeying the laws they are charged with enforcing?

Sledgehammer techniques may work for a while, but ultimately any effective government requires the consent of the governed... and that means every demographic, not just those that look like you.

3 hours ago, Blue Dogs said:

So what ? Stop listening to the BLM terrorist organization's nonsense & rhetoric.

Law & Order Today, Law & Order Tomorrow & Law & Order FOREVER!

I'm sure you would have thought slaves were uppity back in the day as well...

On 7/14/2016 at 10:33 AM, Blue Dogs said:

Harris County Sheriff Ron Hickman [R] should send deputies to the high-risk neighborhoods, rounding up those uppity outside agitators & exterminate them from the face of the earth.

Time to cleanse the entire City of Houston from the thugs forever & making Houston Pure Again!

aid6974653-728px-Use-a-Dog-Whistle-Step-

The uppity outside agitators, who keep slobbering over Sandra Bland, need to shut up because that thug killed

herself because she was bipolar!

Sheriff Hickman & his deputies need to wipe out the BLM terrorist organization & the thug gangs from the face of the earth in order to Making Houston Pure Again!

20 hours ago, KinkaidAlum said:

The worst part about Trump is dumb people who do not understand basic science are emboldened again in their racist theories.

Trump's likely going to be the 45th POTUS on November 8th!

Archived