Houston Most Famous

Materene

I never heard of BJ Thomas. Houston's most famous musicians are rappers. . . oh yeah, and Beyonce.

. . . and another notable/famous person I guess you could claim is George Bush. However, he's not even originally from Texas.

What a coincidence, I never heard of that person with the funny name, and as for rap all it needs is a C in front of it. If George Bush isn't from Texas or Houston then why did you mention him? This isn't a political topic!.

If George Bush isn't from Texas or Houston then why did you mention him? This isn't a political topic!.

1. I mentioned George Bush because the Bush Family loves to claim Texas, even though they are originally from Connecticut. That actually is not news.

2. I didn't interpret this thread to be a 'political topic," exclusively. However, when you created this thread, "Houston Most Famous," you should have anticipated that any reasonable person could/would interpret that broad category identification as encompassing any famous person claiming Houston. If you want to be more specific, I suggest you change the thread title.

I never heard of BJ Thomas. Houston's most famous musicians are rappers. . . oh yeah, and Beyonce.

. . . and another notable/famous person I guess you could claim is George Bush. However, he's not even originally from Texas.

BJ Thomas has written and recorded many famous songs and has sold millions of records. Of course most were from the late 60's and 70's, but he had one hell of a career.

he did a remake of Hank SR's "So lonesome I could cry" that went big (over a million copies sold), "Raindrops keep falling on my head", "Hooked on a feeling", "I just can't help believing", "(Hey Won't You Play) Another Somebody Done Somebody Wrong Song", etc. He also wrote the theme to Growing Pains "As Long As We Got Each Other".

2. However, when you created this thread, "Houston Most Famous," you should have anticipated that any reasonable person could/would interpret that broad category identification as encompassing any famous person claiming Houston. If you want to be more specific, I suggest you change the thread title.

Specific = Any reasonable person that does not consider rap as music

5agtae.gif

BJ Thomas has written and recorded many famous songs and has sold millions of records. Of course most were from the late 60's and 70's, but he had one hell of a career.

he did a remake of Hank SR's "So lonesome I could cry" that went big (over a million copies sold), "Raindrops keep falling on my head", "Hooked on a feeling", "I just can't help believing", "(Hey Won't You Play) Another Somebody Done Somebody Wrong Song", etc. He also wrote the theme to Growing Pains "As Long As We Got Each Other".

LTAWACS, why would you give me a -1 for the above post? Please have something credible to say when posting on HAIF. Thanks you.

Let's also not forget the Rev Wllie G (Billy Gibbons), one of the greatest Blues guitarists of all time.

Rev Willie F (Billy Gibbons) He's 2 years younger than myself! Johnny Winters is my all time favorite but then he's from Beaumont..

Yeah, I didn't want to get all critical on here but the sub-heading does say "music stars". I noticed that first thing. But then, I DO remember B.J. and Billy! How 'bout Kenny Rogers?

(I initially wondered why the political post.)

Thanks for the heads up on Kenny Rodgers, I don't think he was one of my favorites but this song was tops in my days of clubbing!

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/42973/the_life_and_times_of_kenny_rogers.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tj_NjLBPotQ

Houston was at one time known for its gospel, jazz and blues artists. Some were big names, small names, or just local stars.

Archie Bell and the Drells were one of the biggest and specifically mentioned Houston in their most popular song, "Tighten Up." They also had another song called "Showdown" in which they mentioned Market St.

In the 1950s, Sam Cooke sang with The Soul Stirrers and helped them to rise in popularity among gospel groups, which in turn helped him to become a successful secular solo singer in 1959. However, long before Sam Cooke came along, The Soul Stirrers got their start in Houston in September 1929, though they were named the New Pleasant Green Singers before changing their name to The Soul Stirrers in the early 1930s.

There's also Peacock Records. Though their roster of artists were from all around, it's important to note this Houston based record company as it was a heavy hitting company, competing with Chess, Nashboro, and other labels of the like from the late 1940s through the 1970s.

Let's not forget, Billy Preston was born here in Houston.

Houston was at one time known for its gospel, jazz and blues artists. Some were big names, small names, or just local stars.

Archie Bell and the Drells were one of the biggest and specifically mentioned Houston in their most popular song, "Tighten Up." They also had another song called "Showdown" in which they mentioned Market St.

In the 1950s, Sam Cooke sang with The Soul Stirrers and helped them to rise in popularity among gospel groups, which in turn helped him to become a successful secular solo singer in 1959. However, long before Sam Cooke came along, The Soul Stirrers got their start in Houston in September 1929, though they were named the New Pleasant Green Singers before changing their name to The Soul Stirrers in the early 1930s.

There's also Peacock Records. Though their roster of artists were from all around, it's important to note this Houston based record company as it was a heavy hitting company, competing with Chess, Nashboro, and other labels of the like from the late 1940s through the 1970s.

Let's not forget, Billy Preston was born here in Houston.

Archie Bell indeed, I had this link saved for posting later but hey why not now. I remember The Tighten up very well, at the time I first heard it I was at Can Tho Army Airfield, there were a bunch of Black guys walking around carrying these what were called "Short Timer Canes" carved canes with a lot of ornamentation. The most vivid image that implanted in my mind when I hear this song is the shrapnel holes in the mess hall there at Can Tho, it was dangerous eating there! Luckily I left 4 days later and spent my time 40 miles south of there.

A footnote: He was actually born in Henderson Texas, we'll forgive him

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIdug40ZM-M&feature=related

The Late and Great Billy Preston who died much too young

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1loV9_xLF8Q&feature=related

Archived