Sign in to follow this  
Materene

Famous Locations that no Longer Exist

Those names sound very familiar to me, think some of them played at a hall on Bissonnet, Bellaire area, in the early to mid '80's. I recall "Beer Bust" night & a live band, when "happy hour" was in full swing. Some years later, I preferred "The Rose", nice club.

I don't recall that hospital. From the aerials, looks like it was designed in the sixties, has atriums. Wish there was a picture of it, somewhere.

Someone was asking about a place called Dot Coffee Shop. Here's something about it:

http://www.retroroadmap.com/2011/06/05/youll-be-served-lots-at-the-dot-dot-coffee-shop-houston-tx/

post-9987-0-31297000-1316094812_thumb.jp

I'm old I admit it but I really thought it was the Winchester at Chimney Rock & Westheimer

The Winchester Club was on the north side of Bissonnet between Chimney Rock & Hillcroft- I forget the name of the cross street closest to it. Back when I was a young Bellaire cop working day shift in the late '70's we had a "departmental meeting" there every Friday night. ;-)

Happened to be running down the feeder on 225 at Independence Thursday and made a quick stop and shoot with my iPhone. G's has seen better days to be certain. Debbi's was where the engineering staff went on the East end of the building ;) They had a/c and mixed drinks.

post-5892-0-65794900-1321907924_thumb.jp

post-5892-0-22945200-1321907943_thumb.jp

post-5892-0-52420900-1321907955_thumb.jp

• Like 1

I'm probably going to be telling my age here, but I myself remember a lot of those old C/W Clubs. I was the original manager of a club on old Hempstead Hwy. called The Crystal Chandelier Dancehall and Saloon. We had many of the old C/W stars perform there (Kelly Schoppa, The Texas Heartbreakers, John Anderson, Lee Greenwood, John Wesley Ryles, Johnny Rodriquez, Mundo Earwood, Charley Pride and many, many more) We were open at the same time as Cotton Eye Joe's on Gessner and the original Wild West on the corner of Long Point and Gessner. There was also a club on Kuykendahl named The Grand Finale and the manager there Donnie Wayne was a very good friend of mine. I frequented many of those old clubs back in the day. I also worked at Fools' Gold on Westheimer after they moved out past Dairy Ashford. The old club that someone was referring to about having to take your hat off was Tin Hall in Cypress. They recently started having live music there again at least once a month.

My most memorable story from being in the business was I think in December of 1980, I was doing business with a booking agent named Jay Collier, and he called me one day to tell me that there was someone that I really needed to go listen to. Jay said that this guy is a singing cowboy, he said he will be participating in a rodeo at Simonton and after the rodeo he will go on stage and perform. Well, I went and Lo and Behold this singing cowboy was George Strait. He had a rope burn on his hand after participating in the team roping event and he only performed a couple of songs. One of them being "Amarillo By Morning" and since I had Kelly Schoppa at my club (Crystal Chandelier) quite often I was very familiar with the song. I spoke with George and one of his managers after the performance and decided that since he wasn't that well known in the HOuston area, it probably wasn't a very good business decision to hire him. So I didn't. And man what a bad decision that turned out to be. Just 3 months later he was called in to replace Eddie Rabbit at the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo and the rest is History.

• Like 1

I have been sitting here reading about all of these C and W clubs around Houston in the late 60's and through the 70's and never once did anyone mention the Texas Ball Room located at Stubner Airline and I-45 where Shepherd met I-45. The TBR sat in the V between Stubner Airline and the feeder road or Shepherd as it was called from there on south. The house band was headed Ray Bates for several years. Frenchie Burke played with them at the time. Another one of my favorites in the seventies was The Stampede Ball room on Richmond. I also spent many Sunday afternoons out at Magnolia Gardens too.

I have been sitting here reading about all of these C and W clubs around Houston in the late 60's and through the 70's and never once did anyone mention the Texas Ball Room located at Stubner Airline and I-45 where Shepherd met I-45. The TBR sat in the V between Stubner Airline and the feeder road or Shepherd as it was called from there on south. The house band was headed Ray Bates for several years. Frenchie Burke played with them at the time. Another one of my favorites in the seventies was The Stampede Ball room on Richmond. I also spent many Sunday afternoons out at Magnolia Gardens too.

Do you happen to know the approximate timeframe that the Texas Ballroom closed? I grew up very close to that area in the 60s and 70s and don't recall it. 

Exactly, right where the Texaco is now located. When I started frequenting the location there was nothing past the TexasBall room on Stubner Airline. It was nothing but pastures and was a narrow one lane street in each direction with deep ditches on each side of the street. I had a boyfriend that bought 1966 Shelby Mustang, he was going to show everyone what it would do. Stubner Airline was virtually a deserted street at the time. He took off and his car got sideways in the road and he ran off the road into the ditch on the left side of the road. It had rained the day before and the ground was soft. He got lucky and the only damage done was to his pride. One of the guys from the bar pulled him out with his pick up.

I found an aerial shot of the intersection of Stubner Airline, Shepherd and I-45, it was probably still US 75 when this picture was taken. The Texas Ballroom sat in V where the white spot is. Stubner Airline was still just as deserted in the late 60's as it is in this picture.

post-11998-0-60900000-1421557703_thumb.j

I have a copy of that photo, but didn't think to look at it when this thread came up. I believe it's been posted here in the past, most likely in the Aldine thread. According to the filename of the copy I saved, it was taken in 1959. I-45 superseded that segment of US 75 in December 1959.

Edited by mkultra25

The Winchester Club was on the north side of Bissonnet between Chimney Rock & Hillcroft- I forget the name of the cross street closest to it. Back when I was a young Bellaire cop working day shift in the late '70's we had a "departmental meeting" there every Friday night. ;-)

Checked a map and it could have been ALDER between Chimey Rock and Renwick.  If my mind is on it I think I remember the place being a JMH grocey store in the 60s that was converted.  There were some apartments behind the building

Cooters at Richmond and 610. Also a goth kind of place (Played the Cult and stuff) in the same strip. Mid 80's. Lot of fun.

I tended bar at the iconic Todd's and also Elan back in the disco heyday of the late 70's. César Cedeño was a regular. Man, those were the days of drugs, sex, and dancing until you dropped. Todd's was one of the best clubs in Houston history - great memories, met many outstanding people. Elan was the sophisticated private club with sister clubs in Atlanta and Chicago. Fantastic epicurean meals were served to Houston's elite. Took an enormous drop in pay when I left the night life to take a job as an engineer.

I also joined to reply about this conversation, I went to all these Clubs, Winchester, Wells Fargo, Dance town, Frenchie Burke, Desperados, Mickey Gilley's

I wanted to say that the band that played at Winchester Club was Barney Williams & The Blackwood Band. Also Jacky Ward & The Blackwood Band. My brother in Law was David Cook the Drummer. David played most all these clubs, He played with Randy Corner too.

Barney Williams & BLACKWOOD BAND.jpg

Scan_69.jpg

• Like 1

I too have frequented all of the C & W places.  Does anyone know what came of the Blackwood Country Band and its members?

there were 3 popular dance halls that teenagers hung out at in the mid 80's. i remember Tin Hall on saturdays and Bill Mraz on Sundays. I cannot remember the name of the one on Friday nights off Airline Drive in Houston. Does anyone know the name of it?

22 hours ago, just cant remember said:

there were 3 popular dance halls that teenagers hung out at in the mid 80's. i remember Tin Hall on saturdays and Bill Mraz on Sundays. I cannot remember the name of the one on Friday nights off Airline Drive in Houston. Does anyone know the name of it?

Dance Town USA? That's the first dance hall on Airline that comes to mind. It's been a bingo hall for quite some time now, but at least the building still stands, unlike Tin Hall and Bill Mraz.