Famous Locations That No Longer Exist

Materene

Only older people like myself would remember this, but let's see if anyone on this board at some time when they were young wore Boots and a Hat.

This is the corner of West Road and Airline. The Green circle is the main property that was once owned and initially developed from an empty lot, by a very famous Houston Native Country Music Star. That other small circled building was a Jack in the Box back then.

Note: after looking at this photo three times I had to go back and redo it because the Fiesta Property is not the same, however this photo is at a preset height on Google Earth and at Street Level the original Property has been demolished and removed, so Google Earth is usually two years behind at certain heights. That circled building was the only property there in 76, there was no development behind it!!

post-9486-0-83491200-1288405435_thumb.jp

Edited by Materene

Are you referring to the Western Swing?

The other building is (and always has been) a convenience store/gas station. The Jack In The Box is (was? I haven't been in that area in several years) further north on Airline, out of the picture.

You got it, I haven't been there since 77 so much has changed , I can remember standing across Airline and there was a big ditch !! that's where everyone usually parked on Airline. I would have sworn that was the Jack in the Box right there on West Road. The Singer was Randy Corner of course, he also played the Wells Fargo often before he built that place. It still has an imprint on the concrete at street level but it is completely gone now.

Edited by Materene
  • Like 1

There used to be a Famous Location out a little past Hockley. Today, if you were to go there you would encounter a black hole.

Today I wouldn't know how to get there. After I came home 2005 I was looking for my Father in-Laws old shop on 290, he was an Electrical contractor in the 70's and the shop was there on 290 close to Bingle Road. I was shocked coming in from Austin to find the new freeway, even more shocked to see I can no longer drive down 290 to Hempstead!.

One note AJ Foyts Ranch is there in Hockley, never knew that. Too many changes for me.

There used to be a Famous Location out a little past Hockley. Today, if you were to go there you would encounter a black hole.

Not knowing if you were pulling my leg I took a stroll thru Hockley and behold ! there indeed is a black hole in the town of Hockley. It is located at that Stop light , I copied a picture entering it, then turned 180 and this what you see. :rolleyes:

post-9486-0-67159200-1288451564_thumb.jp

post-9486-0-30820400-1288451577_thumb.jp

• 1 month later...

I joined the board just to reply to this post LOL. I was a very regular customer at Western Swing and before that opened Wells Fargo. I spent a whole lot of hours dancing to Randy Corner and Texas Cooking with Freddy Pate. If you do remember Western Swing and that OUTSTANDING Band, you might like to know that Freddy Pate plays regularly in Jennings, La. It is in a very old movie theater, once a month for a primarily geriatric crowd and still unbelievably good. My wife and I, married for 30 years this year, met in Western Swing, our first date was Gilleys. We were the "in crowd" dancers in Western Swing, there everynight except for Monday when they were closed. When we went and met Freddy in Jennings, he still remembered us. Also interesting we went and saw Randy Corner about a year ago in a small bar in Spring, Tx (cant remember name of place, somethingShack) and Randy is almost blind now, but can still play guitar like NOBODYS BUSINESS.. he hasnt lost his touch either, if anything he is better now. ... if you ever heard Randy do you remember songs like "Heart Dont Fail Me Now"? I spent a lot of hours two stepping to Randy Corner and Debbie Sue. I remember when Alabama filled in on a Thursday night when Texas Cookin' was off. The crowd was so disappointed LOL. This was before anyone had heard of Alabama.

Would some nights cruise on down Airline and go to Dance Town, a big BYOB dancehall, burned down too now I guess. Remember seeing Gene Watson there, watching my father in law Waltz with his wife. He is long gone now, and she has alzheimers and the long ago memories of that very Waltz. Its a shame these old places are gone. I was reading online someone trying to explain the beginnings of Western Swing, saying it was just a few months prior to Urban Cowboy's release. Boy is that wrong, we were dancing the night away long before John Travolta ever heard of Mickey Gilley LOL.

Anyway, I thought i would share a memory with you others that can remember that dancehall called Western Swing. Everytime i drive by West Road, I remember a lot of good times including the first time I saw my future wife across that hardwood dancefloor. I remember all the regulars that danced many a night away with 25cent Lonestar longnecks and Thurs nights with free beer. Good times :)

attached is a current picture of Freddie Pate ... still one ugly man HAHAHA but a heart of gold

post-9585-0-27566300-1291439154_thumb.jp

• Like 1

I joined the board just to reply to this post LOL. I was a very regular customer at Western Swing and before that opened Wells Fargo. I spent a whole lot of hours dancing to Randy Corner and Texas Cooking with Freddy Pate. If you do remember Western Swing and that OUTSTANDING Band, you might like to know that Freddy Pate plays regularly in Jennings, La. It is in a very old movie theater, once a month for a primarily geriatric crowd and still unbelievably good. My wife and I, married for 30 years this year, met in Western Swing, our first date was Gilleys. We were the "in crowd" dancers in Western Swing, there everynight except for Monday when they were closed. When we went and met Freddy in Jennings, he still remembered us. Also interesting we went and saw Randy Corner about a year ago in a small bar in Spring, Tx (cant remember name of place, somethingShack) and Randy is almost blind now, but can still play guitar like NOBODYS BUSINESS.. he hasnt lost his touch either, if anything he is better now. ... if you ever heard Randy do you remember songs like "Heart Dont Fail Me Now"? I spent a lot of hours two stepping to Randy Corner and Debbie Sue. I remember when Alabama filled in on a Thursday night when Texas Cookin' was off. The crowd was so disappointed LOL. This was before anyone had heard of Alabama.

Would some nights cruise on down Airline and go to Dance Town, a big BYOB dancehall, burned down too now I guess. Remember seeing Gene Watson there, watching my father in law Waltz with his wife. He is long gone now, and she has alzheimers and the long ago memories of that very Waltz. Its a shame these old places are gone. I was reading online someone trying to explain the beginnings of Western Swing, saying it was just a few months prior to Urban Cowboy's release. Boy is that wrong, we were dancing the night away long before John Travolta ever heard of Mickey Gilley LOL.

Anyway, I thought i would share a memory with you others that can remember that dancehall called Western Swing. Everytime i drive by West Road, I remember a lot of good times including the first time I saw my future wife across that hardwood dancefloor. I remember all the regulars that danced many a night away with 25cent Lonestar longnecks and Thurs nights with free beer. Good times :)

attached is a current picture of Freddie Pate ... still one ugly man HAHAHA but a heart of gold

I think I spent more time in Wells Fargo, later in the mid 70's I started going to a few other good places like the Winchester and also The Yellow Rose, heck even went out to the Breezeway a few times. Kelly Schoppa I think was the best all round stage singer and entertainer his music was just different. Randy played the Wells Fargo a lot in 74 and 75 and I hate to hear his health isn't good. Well Dance Town was around for so many years who hasn't been there at least once, I liked the 59 club because of the BYOB but that long drive home was a killer. It's sad all the great night life is gone but that's life, new people and new places and new taste. Never cared too much for Roy Head's music just didn't do it for me. My best lifetime friend loved all Roy Heads recordings, give me the western swing. If you want a good link to great country radio try this one. There is a lot of non music after hours and during football season because this is Seymore Texas and a very family oriented radio station, but if you tune in during the day you will hear nothing but stuff we once listened to. http://www.radioksey.com/

Glad you took the time to sign up, with this many topics you are likely to find one you can relate to. I wish I could find some pictures of the old downtown Mike Persia dealership before all that property was demolished and the new Houston built on top of. I worked there for a while and there just don't seem to be any information on it.

I think Dance Town is still there . But its a bingo hall now . I even think the sign is still there . I moved away from Houston six years ago , but when I use to be in that part of town I would sometimes pull into the old parking lot there and crank up the volume on my Johnny Bush tape just for old times sake .

I think Dance Town is still there . But its a bingo hall now . I even think the sign is still there . I moved away from Houston six years ago , but when I use to be in that part of town I would sometimes pull into the old parking lot there and crank up the volume on my Johnny Bush tape just for old times sake .

I have almost everything Johnny Bush recorded, even through his bad years when his voice was really bad. I'll start moving them to kiwi6 and give you the links, you can listen or download them.

Airline and the whole North side changed so much in a short 20 years it is unrecognizable to me, I worked there on 45 for years at McMahon Chevrolet, left the cars for a long time and started welding for a living. Then after I figured out how much damage I was doing to my eyes I gave that up! Now I'm living back in Louisiana where I still have living relatives. No one left there in Houston except for a few cousins and also there in Galveston. Still in the process of deciding where I want to be buried, kinda had my mind made up that I would want to be home there in the VA cemetery on Stubner Airline. Lived out there in 72 before it was even there!

Well I'll get some Bush uploaded and let you know when I do.

+1 to the Winchester on Bissonett! House band was Issac P. Sweat, with occasional appearances by the likes of Ernest Tubb, Loretta Lynn, Eddie, Rabbit, Porter Wagoner, dang the list goes on and on....

+1 to the Winchester on Bissonett! House band was Issac P. Sweat, with occasional appearances by the likes of Ernest Tubb, Loretta Lynn, Eddie, Rabbit, Porter Wagoner, dang the list goes on and on....

You think he might have found it hard to drive wearing those spurs! :lol:

I have almost everything Johnny Bush recorded, even through his bad years when his voice was really bad. I'll start moving them to kiwi6 and give you the links, you can listen or download them.

Airline and the whole North side changed so much in a short 20 years it is unrecognizable to me, I worked there on 45 for years at McMahon Chevrolet, left the cars for a long time and started welding for a living. Then after I figured out how much damage I was doing to my eyes I gave that up! Now I'm living back in Louisiana where I still have living relatives. No one left there in Houston except for a few cousins and also there in Galveston. Still in the process of deciding where I want to be buried, kinda had my mind made up that I would want to be home there in the VA cemetery on Stubner Airline. Lived out there in 72 before it was even there!

Well I'll get some Bush uploaded and let you know when I do.

The veterans cemetery on Stuebenr Airline has been there since 1965. I had a cousin who was buried there in 1966.

The veterans cemetery on Stuebenr Airline has been there since 1965. I had a cousin who was buried there in 1966.

Must be getting oldtimers, living on the corner of Gears Road and Airline in 72 I can't remember seeing that cemetery until the later 70's when all the new work was under construction and I was thinking this was when it was built. In 72 there was still fenced cattle all down Airline all the way to 1960. Thanks for the information I learned something.

How about Meyers Speedway? I used to spend a few St nights hanging at the track before my bar hopping days. Speaking of bar hopping, anyone here remember Uncle Sams? It later changed it's name to US disco, and then back again to Uncle Sams. Peeps would come from all over Houston to check it out back in the day.

Lastly, up along 59 toward Porter, there was a place back towards the San Jacinto River called White Sands. It was an out door pavilion, that played some of the best C&W in the area on Sundays back in the 60's.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

How 'bout the classic early 80's club "Rembrandt's"? Remember the black lights? My brother and I went in there once, must have been 1980 or 1981, and had a great time!

The times on Airline bring back fond memories . I had a shop over on N. Fwy near there . scrubba

Where was that?

(Rembrandt's)

This is really reaching back to the farthest and weakest parts of my memory but I believe my parents took some out-of-town guests to Rembrandt's in the late 60's or very early 70's. I remember comments later about the painted ladies and the black lights. If memory serves (and I'm not betting on it), Rebrandt's was located on Market Square across Milam Street.

This is really reaching back to the farthest and weakest parts of my memory but I believe my parents took some out-of-town guests to Rembrandt's in the late 60's or very early 70's. I remember comments later about the painted ladies and the black lights. If memory serves (and I'm not betting on it), Rebrandt's was located on Market Square across Milam Street.

I remember there was a club that was called The Cellar!, in 1967 while stationed in Alvarado Texas we would go to the Cellar there in Fort Worth, this was the first one I'm sure the Houston one came much later. Since I never cared for that type of club I never went to the one in Houston. I never heard the name of this club Rembrandt's.

Sorry, I can't for the life of me remember where it was. Glad someone else remembers the "jiggly" cartoon eyes ;) painted on the dancers and the 60's-styled black lights. It was fun!

• 4 weeks later...

Likewise...had to become a member to reply to this. Brought back to many happy memories (dating myself). Wells Fargo Parker Road and Randy Corner....I used to ride my motorcylce to Wells Fargo just to hear Randy, the band, and dance. "Sometimes I talk in my Sleep" was the best. You see, I played in a small neighborhood CW band that played on Fri, Sat, and Sunday in a shack on Airline drive called the "Little Drop Inn". I was only in high school at the time but would venture over to the WF Parker Road club to lean how the pros do it. I actually grew up on the next street over from Randy. Before the Wells Fargo days....how about Bill Miraz's or Polish Hall.....tickets stapled to your collar, cold beer at the then drinking age of 18, and the pure two step and polka. Our lead singer, James Haley, went on to play with Frenchie Burke himself. Me....joined the Navy so I could get U.Sam to pay for my education. Really miss the those days....we could walk to school (Hohl elementry ...Parker and Yale). Once I got out of the Navy 5 years later in 81, so many things had changed. Now it was Desperados and Diamond Back but still good dancing...just no bands like Randy's. Anyway..thanks for the trivia question that brought me back to the times. I still have a never been peeled bumber Wells Fargo sticker...I should put it up on eBay :) Cheers.

Likewise...had to become a member to reply to this. Brought back to many happy memories (dating myself). Wells Fargo Parker Road and Randy Corner....I used to ride my motorcylce to Wells Fargo just to hear Randy, the band, and dance. "Sometimes I talk in my Sleep" was the best. You see, I played in a small neighborhood CW band that played on Fri, Sat, and Sunday in a shack on Airline drive called the "Little Drop Inn". I was only in high school at the time but would venture over to the WF Parker Road club to lean how the pros do it. I actually grew up on the next street over from Randy. Before the Wells Fargo days....how about Bill Miraz's or Polish Hall.....tickets stapled to your collar, cold beer at the then drinking age of 18, and the pure two step and polka. Our lead singer, James Haley, went on to play with Frenchie Burke himself. Me....joined the Navy so I could get U.Sam to pay for my education. Really miss the those days....we could walk to school (Hohl elementry ...Parker and Yale). Once I got out of the Navy 5 years later in 81, so many things had changed. Now it was Desperados and Diamond Back but still good dancing...just no bands like Randy's. Anyway..thanks for the trivia question that brought me back to the times. I still have a never been peeled bumber Wells Fargo sticker...I should put it up on eBay :) Cheers.

I know all those spots, sure wish there was some photos of The Wells Fargo, I did go to the Desperadoes one time and after the place closed I was sitting there in my truck with my girl friend , some idiot came out and started shooting his pistol in the air! I don't think I ever went back. Do you remember a club on the North side that was old as dirt and you weren't allowed to wear a hat, I can't remember the name of that one because I was only there long enough for them to tell me to remove my hat, I left. My good friends went in anyway but it seemed a little odd to me, man if they could see the world today wearing a hat at a country western club seems pretty unimportant to me. I spoke with someone about that old 59 club and was told that after all the illegals started going there they just got tired of the fights and shut it down, after all those years.

I was the original drummer in the Southern Comfort Band. My buddy, Tony Taliaferro, hired Freddie Pate and they played all over for years as the Tony Taliaferro Band. I knew Randy Corner and Texas Cookin pretty well. Randy was an incredible guitar player, and was offered a national tour, but he had a serious dislike of travel!Randy preferred to play locally, and today is still in the North side of Houston I believe. Someone had mentioned Randy is nearly blind, but he has had an eye condition his entire life where his eye lashes actually grow inward...he was always wearing shades at night!

Tony Taliaferro moved to Nashville 25 years ago, made a couple of albums, was Dottie West's Band until her death, and today is married to Louise Dorsey (Frank Dorsey aka Englebert Humperdink's daughter).

I still play everyday in my music studio at home, have a much nicer kit than was available back in the 70's, but really miss Gene Watson, Mundo Earwood, Randy Corner, Roy Head, Johnny Rodriquez,Eddie Marshall, tons of others... and all the joints we played. I really believe the best music live and recorded came out of the 70's.

• Like 1

I was the original drummer in the Southern Comfort Band. My buddy, Tony Taliaferro, hired Freddie Pate and they played all over for years as the Tony Taliaferro Band. I knew Randy Corner and Texas Cookin pretty well. Randy was an incredible guitar player, and was offered a national tour, but he had a serious dislike of travel!Randy preferred to play locally, and today is still in the North side of Houston I believe. Someone had mentioned Randy is nearly blind, but he has had an eye condition his entire life where his eye lashes actually grow inward...he was always wearing shades at night!

Tony Taliaferro moved to Nashville 25 years ago, made a couple of albums, was Dottie West's Band until her death, and today is married to Louise Dorsey (Frank Dorsey aka Englebert Humperdink's daughter).

I still play everyday in my music studio at home, have a much nicer kit than was available back in the 70's, but really miss Gene Watson, Mundo Earwood, Randy Corner, Roy Head, Johnny Rodriquez,Eddie Marshall, tons of others... and all the joints we played. I really believe the best music live and recorded came out of the 70's.

Absolutely, I left Houston in 82 and have only been home for short times, I don't like the change that has taken place and I'm still undecided as to where I want to be buried.

My roots call for me to come home but all my close family is in a little Baptist Church cemetery in Big Cane La, I guess in the end it don't really matter. Nothing ever stays the same and change comes in every corner of the world. You guy's sure made some good music and I can tell you all of us sure enjoyed it, that was why all those clubs were so successful. Thanks for all the information it was very enlightening, Kelly from the looks of his photos still looks young and I know he'll be performing til he drops.

I was the original drummer in the Southern Comfort Band.

You wouldn't have happened to worked at a bowling alley in Sugar Land about 30 years ago, would you... I worked with a drummer who I coulda sworn said the name of his band was Southern Comfort....

• 2 months later...