Sign in to follow this  
Montrose1100

Wells Fargo Tower

This is my favorite building in Houston. :rolleyes:

Some people that I know thought this city looks similar like Atlanta with the Wells Fargo Tower that is similar to the building of the Westin Hotel without the antenna on top. at some point of views :D:)

• Like 1

Guest Marty

Do" all glass" building's like the Wells Fargo Tower have long lifespans like building's made of stone material?

Edited by Marty

Do all glass building's like the Wells Fargo Tower have long lifespans like building's made of stone material?

Dont know but in the case of Houston i think they are better than the all concrete buildings when it comes to damage created by wind. The glass panels are a lot easier to replace than replacing missing or damage concrete chunks or stone chunks.

Guest Marty

I guess what i am talking about is how long would it take for them to fall apart? 100, 200 years or more ?

Edited by Marty

I guess what i am talking about is how long would it take for them to fall apart? 100, 200 years or more ?

Well, usually skyscrapers are kept up.

Now if lets say the world ended and all the structures were left standing to rot in the sky... Assuming a very long period of time might include a major hurricane or 2, alot of glass would break along the way. The first buildings that would go would be the old Sheraton & Days Inn. (Because those are already rotting).

It just depends. This past April, a parking garage ramp collapsed without warning in downtown Rochester, NY. It had been standing for only 32 years; the cables which supported a cantilevered spiral ramp had been wrapped in paper, which deteriorated over time and allowed the cables to corrode (and eventually fail.)

140553857_db10c9d60b.jpg

Wells Fargo in GMAX, with plywood covering the broken windows (old model of mine, lol)

plywoodwfal0.jpg

Edited by UrbaNerd

Wells Fargo in GMAX, with plywood covering the broken windows (old model of mine, lol)

Wow! That many windows were blown out when Alicia hit? ...glad I wasn't downtown when that happened. I remember Alicia ...messed up prom a bit. ^_^

I'm also fortunate to have worked in the Wells Fargo Plaza for a few years ('94-'96). That building really is as beautiful inside as it is outside. Hehehe, speaking of which - those marble floors are REALLY smooth on rollerblades. B) Yeah, one Thursday after a few too many at Party on the Plaza, me and a few of my friends used my access card and went rollerblading around the bank - through and around the lobby, down the elevators into the garage, and then back up and out. We left without getting caught, but the next day at work I had a visit from security. I blamed it on too much beer and we laughed it off...after I promised never to do it again. :P

Do" all glass" building's like the Wells Fargo Tower have long lifespans like building's made of stone material?

It has nothing to do with glass. All skyscrapers have a skeleton. One Shell has a concrete skeleton clad in travertine with glass windows; Wells Fargo has a steel skeleton with an all glass cladding. Their lifespans are dependent on maintenance for the most part. Left unmaintained, it's anyone's guess whether a concrete skeleton would out live a bare steel skeleton. Some alloys of structural steel can withstand the elements for over 100 years.

The Lever house was built in 1952 [same year I was built ^_^ ] and has been overhauled in the last few years. I am confident it will be standing and in use long after I am gone.

lever1.gif

Edited by nmainguy

Yes, VH1 originated in Houston. I knew about it, but I weasn't into it or MTV back then, so I don't know all that much about how it got started. I do know that it was 1985 when they were in Allied Bank.

VH1 and MTV (both Viacom) are and ALWAYS were in New York City. Hit Video USA a.k.a. TV 5 Houston Hit Video had their office on the 35th floor of The Allied Bank Plaza in 1985. I remember VJ Greg Johnson very well. It was Channel 5 KO5HU and unless you lived inside the loop 610, the reception was not that great, the closer you were to downtown, the better picture you got.

Wow! That many windows were blown out when Alicia hit? ...glad I wasn't downtown when that happened. I remember Alicia ...messed up prom a bit. ^_^

I was working across the street during Alicia at what was then Interfirst Plaza (now 1100 Louisiana/Enterprise Plaza). I can tell you that there were not nearly that many windows blown out as in "UrbaNerd"'s model. But I got to tell you Urba.........cool model!

The Lever house was built in 1952 [same year I was built ^_^ ] and has been overhauled in the last few years. I am confident it will be standing and in use long after I am gone.

lever1.gif

But have you been overhauled like The Lever House Building nmainguy? :lol: I used to work across the street from The Lever Bldg in NY at Park Avenue Plaza, now that's a cool atrium building.

Edited by EspersonBuildings
  • Like 1

Wow, that would be awesome!

If this is a real proposal I hope that the curtain wall is raised no less that 80 ft as that would raise the hieght to 1072ft. Exactly 2ft higher than Transbay (Sales Force) Tower :lol:

Edited by urbanize713
  • Like 5

On December 2, 2004 at 4:50 PM, Heights2Bastrop said:

Yes, VH1 originated in Houston. I knew about it, but I weasn't into it or MTV back then, so I don't know all that much about how it got started. I do know that it was 1985 when they were in Allied Bank.

no actually it wasn't VH1, it was a local low power video channel that went under the calls K05HU with the moniker "TV5" then later "Hit Video USA". VH1 had already signed on in early '85, K05HU went on air in July. Hit Video attempted to go national on cable but it never panned out as they hoped. 

• Like 1

On December 13, 2004 at 8:11 PM, MidtownCoog said:

I call BS on the VH1 starting in Houston.

Show me in print.

You are getting it confused with that old station on Ch 43(?) that played the four same videos day after day. A local station from downtown.

Duran Duran, Dire Straights, Tina Turner...

ok, three videos.

Channel 5

Found this on ABC 13's Youtube. Coverage of the "blue bandit" parachute jump from multiple angles on the ground and in the air from 1983.

• Like 4

Is it currently vacant? I'm not a mole person so excuse my ignorance

8 minutes ago, cspwal said:

Is it currently vacant? I'm not a mole person so excuse my ignorance

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it just sort of an empty plaza/stairwell?

23 hours ago, lockmat said:

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it just sort of an empty plaza/stairwell?

Yep, the plaza has a constantly broken fountain wall and was surrounded by a tunnel hallway on one side and a secondary lobby and vault on the other.  This could actually be a pretty cool addition. 

• Like 2

From the Wells-Fargo promotional material: " > Epicenter of Downtown Houston"
Online dictionary definition of 'epicenter': 1. the point on the earth's surface vertically above the focus of an earthquake. 2. the central point of something, typically a difficult or unpleasant situation.

You've been warned.

Edited by dbigtex56

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/08-06-18-adair-concepts-new-restaurant-wells-fargo-plaza-downtown-cbre-group/

prominent Houston restaurant group is bringing a new concept to downtown's central business district. 

Adair Concepts, the company behind Adair Kitchen, Eloise Nichols Grill & Liquors, and Bebidas, will open a new restaurant in the Wells Fargo Plaza office building, local real estate firm CBRE Group, Inc. announced. Slated to arrive in the fall of 2019, the new restaurant will serve breakfast, lunch, and happy hour-style bites to downtown office workers who will be able to access the restaurant from either the street level or the tunnel system. Local architecture firm Gensler will collaborate with McGarr Design & Interiors on the design of the approximately 4,600 square foot space.